Elk hunt drawing

jericho

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The elk drawing closes tomorrow night at midnight. I donated my $10 to the antlered firearm drawing and $10 to the antlerless firearm drawing. There are two more drawings for archery as well. Anyone else in this year?

I made the same $20 donation. I didn't send in any of the $25 tickets for the guided hunt.

• 3 weeks later...

:dancingpa

On a serious note, when you're ready, I can hook you up with the single best elk finder in EKY, bar none. Let me know if you're interested and I'll introduce you. He guides for stripers at Lake Cumberland as well. He's handy.

How cool would it be to wax one with that smoke pole you fashioned?

In the give or take 4 hours since I got the mail, I've spent a good deal of it considering whether or not that longrifle would be feasible. It will definitely be done by then. My primary concern is that it's a .45 caliber. Most folks who hunt white tails with a blackpowder longrifle prefer using somewhere between a .50 and .56 caliber. I'll have to research a little and see whether my rifle will pack enough wallup to drop an elk humanely, but my gut tells me it won't.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Corrected the caliber

In the give or take 4 hours since I got the mail, I've spent a good deal of it considering whether or not that longrifle would be feasible. It will definitely be done by then. My primary concern is that it's a .45 caliber. Most folks who hunt white tails with a blackpowder longrifle prefer using somewhere between a .50 and .56 caliber. I'll have to research a little and see whether my rifle will pack enough wallup to drop an elk humanely, but my gut tells me it won't.

A friend of mine has used a .45 for white tails for years. I've shot a couple myself with it. It would work for elk, your range will just be a little shorter.

A friend of mine has used a .45 for white tails for years. I've shot a couple myself with it. It would work for elk, your range will just be a little shorter.
The first muzzleloader I bought my son was a .45cal and he took 2 does with it, one was at 125yds.

So I've had several people ask me about "how I got drawn". My response to all of them was the same: "I entered the contest". Still, does anyone have details on how they select residents versus non-residents? I did a little research, and it looks like about 64% of the applicants were state residents, and about 36% were non-residents, and then the tag distribution from the drawing went 90% (exactly) to residents and 10% (exactly) to non-residents. I'm assuming the 90/10 ratio was an intentional, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any further details about how they handle resident/non-resident tags these days?

2015 Total Number of Individual Lottery Applicants

Total Individual Applicants: 34,001

In-State Applicants: 21,717

Out-of-State Applicants: 12,284

2015 Total Number of Lottery Applications

(Individuals can submit up to 4 applications, but are only eligible to receive 1: Antlered Firearm, Antlered Archery/Crossbow, Antlerless Firearm, Archery/Crossbow. Drawings are conducted in the previously mentioned order, and any individual whose name is drawn has their name removed from all subsequent drawings that year.)

Total Applications: 70,348

In-State Applications: 45,156

Out-of-State Applications: 25,192

2015 Total Number Drawn Applicants

Total 2015 Elk Tags: 910

In-State: 819

Out-of-State: 91