Elk hunt drawing

jericho

I've registered every year since the draw began. Never had the luck to go after an elk.

To be honest, it kinda burns my britches that I pay tax money towards the KDFW and I have the same chances of having my name drawn as an out-of-stater who buys a ticket in the draw.

you would be so suprised who has been drawn multiple times. i know a law enforcement guy who is going to put forth an investigation on this later on

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for late response, my son was drawn for a cow tag a few years back he was 15. I contacted KDFW they set us up with a hunting spot it was an Hunting Club area on an old strip mine site (near Betsy Lane HS School). We meet with an KDFW agent one weekend to scout area saw many elk actually drove up to within 20yds of a bull laying down. My son had a BB game on a Saturday after game 3 of us loaded up and and headed out we reach hotel around midnight meet KDFW agent at 6am along with another set of hunters. Basically what they do is take 7 sets of hunters to spot (on top of mountain) and when they kill out they bring in another set of 7 so we actually missed the first day which worked out better cause there was only 1 set of hunters with us. Once on top the mountain there was another KDFW agent she basically went scouting and radio back to let us know were she saw elk and we drove to that area. It was a hillside at least a mile long the elk were at the bottom working there way up so off we went to head them off at the top which was about a mile walk for us to circle around. Once on top the elk had already started over but ever hill we pop over there were some elk (one had 3 huge bulls standing with sun rising behind them it was beautifully) my son picked out a cow took aim and fired away, now my son was shooting an 300SM which I though was plenty to do trick agent had told was if she dint go down shoot her again cause they will load her up but if she goes over mountain side you have to get her up. So my son put a great shoot on her he turn to me and said again I said no she will go down WRONG three hills later and an shoulder shot finally put her down. Luckily she went down by a road KDFW used a sled type cart like the ones kids use fully plastic shaped like a boat rolled elk over on it winched her up ramps onto their bed backed there truck up to mine with tailgates down slid her over rolled her out shook hands and headed home. As for the meat very very good and an experience my son and I will never forget. A side note the 3rd person with us was drawn last year for Bull elk with bow and it looks awesome on his wall. I've heard people say it would cost to much wouldn't know were to go to hunt. Wrong everything you need to know is out there most people know someone that has been drawn and will pass along info just as I've done over the years. Our friend Mustang even did some research into Ky elk after hearing of our hunt we still put in every year so encourage others to do so and good luck.

Sorry for late response, my son was drawn for a cow tag a few years back he was 15. I contacted KDFW they set us up with a hunting spot it was an Hunting Club area on an old strip mine site (near Betsy Lane HS School). We meet with an KDFW agent one weekend to scout area saw many elk actually drove up to within 20yds of a bull laying down. My son had a BB game on a Saturday after game 3 of us loaded up and and headed out we reach hotel around midnight meet KDFW agent at 6am along with another set of hunters. Basically what they do is take 7 sets of hunters to spot (on top of mountain) and when they kill out they bring in another set of 7 so we actually missed the first day which worked out better cause there was only 1 set of hunters with us. Once on top the mountain there was another KDFW Ragent she basically went scouting and radio back to let us know were she saw elk and we drove to that area. It was a hillside at least a mile long the elk were at the bottom working there way up so off we went to head them off at the top which was about a mile walk for us to circle around. Once on top the elk had already started over but ever hill we pop over there were some elk (one had 3 huge bulls standing with sun rising behind them it was beautifully) my son picked out a cow took aim and fired away, now my son was shooting an 300SM which I though was plenty to do trick agent had told was if she dint go down shoot her again cause they will load her up but if she goes over mountain side you have to get her up. So my son put a great shoot on her he turn to me and said again I said no she will go down WRONG three hills later and an shoulder shot finally put her down. Luckily she went down by a road KDFW used a sled type cart like the ones kids use fully plastic shaped like a boat rolled elk over on it winched her up ramps onto their bed backed there truck up to mine with tailgates down slid her over rolled her out shook hands and headed home. As for the meat very very good and an experience my son and I will never forget. A side note the 3rd person with us was drawn last year for Bull elk with bow and it looks awesome on his wall. I've heard people say it would cost to much wouldn't know were to go to hunt. Wrong everything you need to know is out there most people know someone that has been drawn and will pass along info just as I've done over the years. Our friend Mustang even did some research into Ky elk after hearing of our hunt we still put in every year so encourage others to do so and good luck.

That Elk was mighty tasty!

• 2 months later...

I was drawn a few years ago….however, HHS was playing in the state championship game and I couldn't make it….I'll take the game, I can hunt elk for the rest of my life ! I have done two self guided hunts in Colorado and I can tell that a $10 chance to get pulled for a tag is a deal. Cost me a few hundred dollars to get an over the counter / archery / public tag the times I have been out there. No guides, no trucks, no ATV's…just you and elevation, highly recommend.

That Elk was mighty tasty!

If you have never tried Elk and want to, keep the following event on your calendar. The buffet is fabulous, and this event is very popular.

September 20, 2014

Elk Night, Jenny Wiley State Park

Enjoy a festive buffet night of elk meat with all the fixings, including carved elk roast, elk meatloaf, elk potpie, elk chili, fried chicken and assorted vegetables and salads and dessert bar. Planned nature and recreation activities and elk viewing tours will be available during the day. Elk were reintroduced into Kentucky in 1997. Prior to then, elk had been gone from Kentucky for nearly 150 years. Come celebrate the return of the elk to eastern Kentucky and the kick off to the elk tour season

If you have never tried Elk and want to, keep the following event on your calendar. The buffet is fabulous, and this event is very popular.

September 20, 2014

Elk Night, Jenny Wiley State Park

Enjoy a festive buffet night of elk meat with all the fixings, including carved elk roast, elk meatloaf, elk potpie, elk chili, fried chicken and assorted vegetables and salads and dessert bar. Planned nature and recreation activities and elk viewing tours will be available during the day. Elk were reintroduced into Kentucky in 1997. Prior to then, elk had been gone from Kentucky for nearly 150 years. Come celebrate the return of the elk to eastern Kentucky and the kick off to the elk tour season

Could be a great wat to spend my birthday!

• 1 month later...