Elk hunt drawing

jericho

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I've been thinking about that off and on. I felt like I had a really good guide, good gear, a good gun...I'm nor sure what I could have done better, apart from maybe working on my climbing skills and army-crawling skills while packing a rifle. I'll have to keep thinking on this one for you.

No need, I was just curious. If nothing came to mind it sounds like you need to get back out there Friday and make it happen! :)

Great pics and thanks again for the inclusivity on a cool hunting journey! :thumb:

Great pics CWB. IF you ever draw again, I'm gonna take you to my rifle sight in spot. We will zero you at 300. There will be no math after that. Just aim and let er rip.

Glad you had a good time. Hope you get to go back Friday.

I'm pretty sure that is two different cows. I'm guessing that is the two cows taken by the two handicapped teenage hunters he mentioned earlier.

And no offense to CWB, but if it is, then that is better than seeing him take one.

I'm pretty sure that is two different cows. I'm guessing that is the two cows taken by the two handicapped teenage hunters he mentioned earlier.

And no offense to CWB, but if it is, then that is better than seeing him take one.

Correct. Those two elks belonged to the handicapped gents. And I agree with you, 2C, I am much MUCH happier seeing those two guys get their elks than I ever would have been taking my own.

The elk on the top, in particular, was a rather harrowing thing. I'd put the youngster who harvested her at about 17 or 18 years old if I had to guess. At birth, the young man had most notably been born missing the tibia in each of his legs, and his left hand was ectrodactyl - so his hand was rather malformed, and he only had three fingers on it. In light of the missing tibias (a condition that would have prevented him from walking) his parents had opted to have both of his legs amputated below the knee shortly after birth in order for him to learn to walk on prostheses from the very get-go. His stride wasn't completely perfect, largely due to some other physiological issues he suffered from, but all told he was doing very well for himself, and he was a very happy person, and was INCREDIBLY enjoyable to talk to.

He had been given hunting privileges to hunt directly from a vehicle, and although he drove around a bit more than most of the hunters, he spent the vast majority of the time hiking. His shot on his elk cam on Saturday, and although I wasn't there, I was able to see where the animal had been harvested from, and heard from the group what had happened. He took a shot that had clocked in at just over 280 yards, and struck the elk in the left ham (you can see in the picture if you look closely). The elk ran stumbling for the timber, and the subsequent two shots he took didn't make contact. The timberline the elk ran to was almost immediately met by an ravine with a 120 foot drop, and it ended up tumbling almost completely to the bottom of the ravine. Any clear killing shot on the animal was obscured by the trees at the top, and the handicapped youngster was required by law to be the one who took any shots on the elk. Unfortunately, due to the difficulty of the grade he wasn't able to climb down, so the guide took matters into his own hands, literally putting the hunter on his back, carrying him down the ravine, letting him fire the coup de grâce, and then carrying him back up the ravine on his back...only to climb back down with a winch line to retrieve the elk. The guide was an absolute beast-man.

Anyway, it was a really great thing to get to stand witness to. I was REALLY REALLY happy for the youngster.