Elk hunt drawing

jericho

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the limited number of tags in the restoration area they shouldn't even allow non residents to draw.

Agreed. They try to explain it away by saying they are working on making Kentucky more of a "hunting tourism" destination, but when you're talking about 1,000 elk tags awarded TOTAL to residents and non-residents combined, it's not like it's going to be a huge influx of tourists from out of state. It might be another thing to have them pay an exorbitant amount for their entry in the draw too, but non-residents only ay $20, compared to the $10 paid by residents for entry in the draw.

I've registered every year since the draw began. Never had the luck to go after an elk.

To be honest, it kinda burns my britches that I pay tax money towards the KDFW and I have the same chances of having my name drawn as an out-of-stater who buys a ticket in the draw.

Agree 1000%

Agreed. They try to explain it away by saying they are working on making Kentucky more of a "hunting tourism" destination' date=' but when you're talking about 1,000 elk tags awarded TOTAL to residents and non-residents combined, it's not like it's going to be a huge influx of tourists from out of state. It might be another thing to have them pay an exorbitant amount for their entry in the draw too, but non-residents only ay $20, compared to the $10 paid by residents for entry in the draw.[/quote']How do the big elk hunting states out west operate?

I used to submit my name all of the time and was never drawn. I have a friend whose son was drawn and he bagged a cow.

Some stats below

A total of 33,675 individuals applied at least once for last year’s lottery (2012 hunt). Many opted to apply for 2 tag types, for a total number of 59,672 applications. No more than 10% of the total number of tags issued can go to non-residents. The odds of getting drawn for each tag type were:

Residents

Non-residents

Bull Firearm

1 in 151

1 in 702

Cow Firearm

1 in 30

1 in 98

Bull Archery

1 in 79

1 in 558

Cow Archery

1 in 13

1 in 67

KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife -

How do the big elk hunting states out west operate?

I believe most are draw for non residents with points systems. Some states are very hard to get any tag and some are hard to draw a bull tag but easier for a cow. Also easier to draw for archery and tougher for firearms. They can get complicated. Kentucky is one of the easiest for non residents for all game. A lot of states you have to draw for whitetail tags. Kentucky you can buy them over the counter.