Highlands toughest challenge in 4A

...what Ky team (with legitimate championship aspirations -- e.g., not Harrison County, no offense to them) has a tougher road of multiple games to a state championship in any class this year--where every game after the first round opener is a tough game.

The only team I can think of would be someone like CAL in 2A. They likely will finish second in their district, but are ranked #3 in the state. They would have to win at Glasgow in the second round, at DeSales in the third round and at Caldwell County in the state semifinals, just for a chance to play someone like Newport Catholic or Somerset in the championship game.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometomes the way you defend the pass is to get to the qb the way Paducah did who is 1-5. They stayed in the game for 3 qtrs by getting to the qb who is no where near the runner the hhs qb was last year. In fact i think the hhs qb this year is on the neg. Column on running the ball. I think Jc is better than pt who sets at 1-5.

I always enjoy watching Highlands play. The way they run on the field, run to positions, play hard every down, its nice to see that. But as a casual fan in Kentucky, I'd like to see someone like Johnson Central beat Highlands. It isn't because I have a problem with the Birds (far from it), but I'm starting to worry no one will ever beat them. If someone could knock them off, it would prove that there are teams out in the state capable of playing with Highlands. And right now, I'm not sure many teams in the commonwealth believe they can even play with Highlands, much less beat them.

Sometomes the way you defend the pass is to get to the qb the way Paducah did who is 1-5. They stayed in the game for 3 qtrs by getting to the qb who is no where near the runner the hhs qb was last year. In fact i think the hhs qb this year is on the neg. Column on running the ball. I think Jc is better than pt who sets at 1-5.

A big difference in the example given is that Highlands was AT Paducah Tilghman, but Johnson Central would be AT Highlands.

Fair point. But some things to consider: 1. PT had fast, quick D linemen and LBers. Does JC?; 2. Highlands played PT after a long 5 hour bus ride. JC will have the long bus ride to FT if they meet in the playoffs; 3. No disrespect to Jalen Hayes, but he's not the pass blocker that Harris is. Harris did not play in the PT game. He did play in the CovCath game and the protection given Houliston was much better. If Harris plays in a game against JC, Houliston will get better pass protection than he got against PT; and 4. Highlands played PT the week before playing CovCath, its strongest rival. While Dale does a pretty good job of trying to keep the kids focused on every game, they are nonetheless kids, and they very easily could have been looking past PT. Take it as a compliment to JC, the Highlands players do not look past JC.

The only team I can think of would be someone like CAL in 2A. They likely will finish second in their district, but are ranked #3 in the state. They would have to win at Glasgow in the second round, at DeSales in the third round and at Caldwell County in the state semifinals, just for a chance to play someone like Newport Catholic or Somerset in the championship game.

That would be a tough road too. Nice post.

You have correctly stated the case. You have to have athletes across your whole defense, especially up front. Highlands has to have off night throwing. Your offense better be top of its game to stop HHS defense. It would have to the right night.

One would have to count on the fact JC has better athletes who can get to the QB and that the HHS offensive line did not learn anything from PT. Both are dangerous assumptions.

I always enjoy watching Highlands play. The way they run on the field, run to positions, play hard every down, its nice to see that. But as a casual fan in Kentucky, I'd like to see someone like Johnson Central beat Highlands. It isn't because I have a problem with the Birds (far from it), but I'm starting to worry no one will ever beat them. If someone could knock them off, it would prove that there are teams out in the state capable of playing with Highlands. And right now, I'm not sure many teams in the commonwealth believe they can even play with Highlands, much less beat them.

Fair points although I would think the PT and JH games have given life to many team's hopes.

And that was my point. You're trying to compare HHS through CC through NCC through Ashland through JC? Where's Kevin Bacon?

You are correct. I am. And again, I ask you, what are the flaws in this? I think at the very least it gives a ballpark estimation of the competitiveness of the game. And what the heck does Kevin Bacon have to do with this?

You are correct. I am. And again' date=' I ask you, what are the flaws in this? I think at the very least it gives a ballpark estimation of the competitiveness of the game. And what the heck does Kevin Bacon have to do with this?[/quote']

6 degrees of Kevin Bacon where you can supposedly link anyone to him through actors he's worked with.

The flaw is that it is often hard enough to compare two teams based on a single common opponent. You're going through multiple opponents to try to get some type of comparison. Good luck with that.

6 degrees of Kevin Bacon where you can supposedly link anyone to him through actors he's worked with.

The flaw is that it is often hard enough to compare two teams based on a single common opponent. You're going through multiple opponents to try to get some type of comparison. Good luck with that.

I've done this for years, 75, and it's never failed me on my predictions yet.:eyeonyou: