Opinions on KSR

Oldbird

I listen to KSR frequently and I generally like the show. A couple of things I don't get.

- Matt is the strength of the show. Why doesn't he realize that his callers are generally awful and limiting their air time makes the show better? I don't need to hear 2 minutes of John Short daily (or ever. It was cute once or twice, but it is bad radio now.

- I am not sure what Matt thinks Ryan Lemond brings to the table. He isn't funny. He isn't knowledgeable. He isn’t' good for debate because he always agrees with the host.

- On a related note - I am not sure of what the attraction is to Oscar Combs. He leans more toward grumpy old man than legend, or insightful. Rarely are his stories even interesting. Mike Pratt is much more engaging when he is on.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened on the internet one time for about 5 minutes. It was not that interesting to me. The website I could not tell you the last time I went to it. In fairness his show his not carried locally so I would maybe listen in that case, or at least be more apt to.

I listen to KSR frequently and I generally like the show. A couple of things I don't get.

- Matt is the strength of the show. Why doesn't he realize that his callers are generally awful and limiting their air time makes the show better? I don't need to hear 2 minutes of John Short daily (or ever. It was cute once or twice, but it is bad radio now.

- I am not sure what Matt thinks Ryan Lemond brings to the table. He isn't funny. He isn't knowledgeable. He isn’t' good for debate because he always agrees with the host.

- On a related note - I am not sure of what the attraction is to Oscar Combs. He leans more toward grumpy old man than legend, or insightful. Rarely are his stories even interesting. Mike Pratt is much more engaging when he is on.

The worst thing about ANY radio show is the callers. Yes, there are sometimes some good ones. But in general they're the worst. I usually change the station any time I hear someone take a call.

Some things about the show I like, some I don't. Some of the things he says are a bit uncomfortable.

I do admire that pretty much from nothing, he created an opportunity where his " getting up going to work" is talking UK sports, doing pre/post game shows, and rubbing shoulders with

some pretty cool people. Not too bad of a gig.

I guess the fact that we know who he is based on what he does, like him or not, speaks for his success.

The entire entity that is KSR is a joke, IMO. No reason at all for me to go there, or listen to the show. I can get better, more accurate info here (and other places) without the ridiculousness that comes with that site/show.

And also he says at least once per show that I have listened to that he hates Louisville...I wouldn't listen to the Card Guy if he had a state wide show...so I know what you mean.

I listen more than I used to. I think it's been a great success story from an entrepreneur standpoint. The guy created this from nothing and now seems to be doing pretty well. I applaud him for his success.

If you are looking for a "sports news" show go somewhere else because this ain't that.

It's mainly humorous and , for the most part, I do find Matt to be funny. I agree with OB that the less callers the better. Callers hurt the show.

My one constant critic of Matt is that he's too thin-skinned when it comes to criticism of UK or anything UK-related. In those cases he comes across as just another lunatic UK fan who can't even use his brain to understand what critics might truly be saying.

I also believe his access to UK insiders has grown so he does get some good info occasionally.

I could see where Deuce and other UL fans would not like the show.

I listen more than I used to. I think it's been a great success story from an entrepreneur standpoint. The guy created this from nothing and now seems to be doing pretty well. I applaud him for his success.

If you are looking for a "sports news" show go somewhere else because this ain't that.

It's mainly humorous and , for the most part, I do find Matt to be funny. I agree with OB that the less callers the better. Callers hurt the show.

My one constant critic of Matt is that he's too thin-skinned when it comes to criticism of UK or anything UK-related. In those cases he comes across as just another lunatic UK fan who can't even use his brain to understand what critics might truly be saying.

I also believe his access to UK insiders has grown so he does get some good info occasionally.

I could see where Deuce and other UL fans would not like the show.

I listen every single day & this pretty much sums it up.

I disagree somewhat on the callers. I can understand why people don't like them, but a lot of them are really good because of how stupid they are. The guy James who called the other day claiming to have once run the 40 in 4.1 seconds is a prime example. I do agree, though, that the John Short stuff gets old. He was good to start out, but he has the same call every time anymore.

I sometimes agree with Jones when he attacks critics, but he goes way overboard with it--and this seems to have gotten worse in the last year or so. The two incidents that stick out are when Dan Dakich said if IU beat UK it wouldn't be an upset. The other was when the Herald-Leader cartoonist did the Nerlens Noel cartoon.

I listen every day for two reasons: 1) It's a show predominantly focused on UK basketball. 2) It's goofy. I don't listen for quality sports analysis, because Jones bluffs his way through a lot of stuff & that gets old. His info has also improved, but he's still shaky on that.

Couldn't agree more on John Short & Ryan Lemond. Short has basically become the show's mascot, for lack of a better phrase. Of course, he has some disabilities & I think what Matt has done for him is a good gesture. It frustrates me, but I can live with it.

Ryan Lemond is a different story. By all accounts, Lemond is a nice guy, but he is an awful co-host. The week Jones was covering the US Open was great because Drew Franklin co-hosted & he is hilarious.

Also agree on Mike Pratt. I could listen to that guy talk all day long. The best shows are when Pratt is on as a guest. Oscar Combs I could live without, but I do appreciate his knowledge of UK history.

I think Jones said that Rex Chapman & Josh Hopkins are co-hosting with him Friday. That should be a great show. Both of those guys are really good.