Chris Weidman defeats Anderson Silva

I know Silva has been on a tear, well until last week. But didn't he get beat by some relatively unknown guy in Pride a few years ago?

Back in 2004 by Ryo Chonan. After that, he had a disqualification loss.

Is that 3 losses in Pride? Maybe that's why he left Pride! :lol2:

Not the best record in Pride but he even said himself that he wasn't as dedicated to fighting then, he almost retired from the sport to be a full time MMA trainer until the Nogueria brothers talked him into sticking with it. He said Big Nog basically changed his life and his fighting career, they gave him a new direction and a new place to hone his skills. As we know he soon became the Anderson Silva we know today with the new found discipline.

I also think the first punch tagged him and hurt him even though he played it off.

The punch he went down on did not look devastating at all.

It doesn't look that bad but where he got hit is more important than how he got hit (or how hard). That spot between the jaw bone and the neck is a big time knockout area, he got caught perfectly in an area that is pretty accessible to a KO.

I saw that on ESPN earlier, actually it was an alert on my phone but ya. Think Weidman has a chance the second go around?

Oh yeah. He has good takedowns and that's part of the reason Anderson was clowning so much because he didn't want the fight to be on the ground. Much like Chael Sonnen I think Weidman may be able to control a fight at least 3 out of 5 rounds, but like he showed he's even more of a threat because he can also stand and bang. But with the great wrestling, grappling, and bjj game Silva's fight is on the feet.

Dana's trying to hype it as the biggest fight in UFC history and it very well may be, either way its going to be a good fight. Anderson Silva hasn't been in a situation like this where he has been super motivated so I think we will see a totally different Anderson. I'm sure it gets routine putting up the belt for 7 years straight but now he has a reason to be as good as ever. I don't think Father Time has caught up with him yet but we will see. Weidman can win even if its a good Anderson Silva. One things for sure though, expect a totally different fight the second go around. Look for more takedowns for Weidman and a more serious striking game from Anderson. If Weidman doesn't get too confident in the KO and keeps his ego in check he would be smart to try and dictate the fight primarily on the ground. Although he is more than capable of putting him out with a couple shots again, his best chances to remain the champ is to not try and stand and bang with the spider.

Another X factor I think is underrated is how fighters come back after a KO. The theory is once you get your first good KO you're way more susceptible to be knocked out again. You see it all the time. Cro Kop, Chuck, a lot of those guys who used to have a good chin were getting rocked there in the ends of their careers. So maybe a shot that wouldn't have out Anderson to sleep this time could end his night next time, who knows? Just seems some guys lose ability to take a punch after that first time.