Baseball vs Spring Football Practice

I hear you, but on the other hand I also hear the kid who says "I only wish I had taken (insert sport here) more seriously. I may have gotten a scholarship to college if I had concentrated on one sport. I love that sport the best and wish I had decidicated myself to the the best dang (insert sport here) that I could have been".

Personally I see no particular benefit to a kid to having played 3 sports vs. just concentrating on just one. As long as the kid is involved in sports, any sport, I think he is benefiting. While multi sports may have been the way it was "back in the day" for some/most of you, I only played one sport and was/am fine with it. I do think the kids need to make the decision and the coaches need to stay out of it however.

...I agree but the problem at lot of young athletes face, is they decide in the 7th/8th or Freshmen year, they are going to be a "superstar", get a college scholarship or get drafted in "a sport" and that is entirely too young for most.

They may stop growing, not develop or others simply catch-up in talent. Some size schools, need the multiple sport players to participate, while others have enough student body to have 3 teams in various sports.

JR and SR years, the player should have an idea of their "best" sport, with the guidance of parents, coaches and experts who have observed them. At the same token, the desire to play multiple sports can still be fulfilled and that player continues his work ethic toward the sport he excels in.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the reason any conflict exists with Football during the spring, is that it's Baseball season.....it would be no different, if Baseball was allotted 10 days right in the middle of Football, to practice but they aren't.

Most good Baseball programs, incorporate weightlifting, speed drills into their conditioning but not the heavy power-lifting.

I would think that you could get more done for your sport by supporting IT better than just always putting down football. Give fb a break, they only got spring ball back a few years ago and still only have a few days. It has obviously made fb better in the state. Baseball is getting better every year in Ky., I don't think spring ball is hurting it at all. :thumb:

I would think that you could get more done for your sport by supporting IT better than just always putting down football. Give fb a break, they only got spring ball back a few years ago and still only have a few days. It has obviously made fb better in the state. Baseball is getting better every year in Ky., I don't think spring ball is hurting it at all. :thumb:
...Where am I putting Football down in my posts, simply stating that both Basketball and Football, get allotted time out of season to practice, while Baseball does not.

I've even stated that players should play the sport "In Season" and hope they can all get along. Without a doubt, I love Baseball but like I said earlier, they all can co-exist with cooperation from all the coaches.

...I agree but the problem at lot of young athletes face, is they decide in the 7th/8th or Freshmen year, they are going to be a "superstar", get a college scholarship or get drafted in "a sport" and that is entirely too young for most.

They may stop growing, not develop or others simply catch-up in talent. Some size schools, need the multiple sport players to participate, while others have enough student body to have 3 teams in various sports.

JR and SR years, the player should have an idea of their "best" sport, with the guidance of parents, coaches and experts who have observed them. At the same token, the desire to play multiple sports can still be fulfilled and that player continues his work ethic toward the sport he excels in.

I haven't seen the decision to concentrate on one sport happening as early as you've seen it. I generally see it happening after their sophomore year when they are starting to realize what sport they are likely to become the best at and when they are faced with concentrating on a sport in order to win a starting position on the varsity squad. I agree that choosing one sport in the 7th, 8th and 9th grades is way too early, but Spring football does not come into play for those kids anyway. So Spring football can't be contributing to the problem of 7th, 8th and 9th graders giving up multiple sports to concentrate on the sport of football (if it is a problem to begin with, and as stated above, I don't think it is at the level I'm talking about).

• 4 weeks later...
Baseball is the most conflicting sport to football it keeps them out of the weightroom, out of speed work, out of spring ball and out of summer 7on7 and other practices. Baseball coaches usually are not very willing to work with the football coaches either not always but most times.

I would love to see football players do football only year around but working together is the best situation for the kids and the programs in a highschool setting.

If the other sports are that important to an athlete they can and should find time to do these things on their own. Not many kids have this dedication or drive.

Lets face it folks, sports are supposed to teach us about life and in life we are Forced to make some tough decisions. Alot of kids are trying for scholorships to college in their sport of choice and for alot of these kids thats the only way they can get to college. And these kids are afraid of blowing their ride by getting hurt in another sport.

So if these kids have to choose dont blame anyone. Its just the nature of sports doing its job which is teaching these kids about life.

This is from a sports fans and more importantly, Baseball....

Spring and early Summer is for Baseball, should remain that way and that is what's wrong with a lot of sports in the KHSAA....Football and Basketball seasons allow for practice during Baseball and these sports are becoming almost year round....which force players to choose in some cases.

PLAY the sport in season and let the "out of season", schedule around.... :thumb:

I disagree on the football front. I do agree on basketball. They play AAU, summer leagues, have open gym, etc. A basketball player could be on the court at his high school all but 2 weeks in the summer. Football gets 2 weeks besides their normal practice sessions. They do allow summer passing leagues, but that is after baseball is over. Baseball has summer leagues, travel teams, etc. If there is any sport who gets the short end of the stick on time on the field/court, it is football without a doubt.

However, to my knowledge, baseball and football coexist pretty well at the Laurel County schools. The baseball players generally do not participate in spring football practice as they are practicing for the beginning of their baseball season and if they want to play baseball, that is where they oughta be at that time. Neither schools football coaches have a problem with the kids wanting to play other sports and that is the way it should be. They are kids, let them play as many sports as they choose to play. They will never get to play high school sports again once their 4 years is up.

What happens when his ace pitcher breaks his arm in a spring football drill?

What happens when he tears his shoulder horsing around in the basement or riding his skate board. They can get hurt walkong down the road. I allow my kids to choose, if they go to baseball then so be it. If they go to summer basketball, then so be it, they are still kids and if they are that involved then they will figure out a way to get it all in. If they are behind they will catch up and if the kids is an athlete, he will be fine.

I feel a lot of times it is the basketball coach or baseball coach that works against the football coach, but if baseball wants more time then build your coaches association as strong as football's and get them to look at it. It is not the fought of football coaches that we got things done for our sport.

Good call...We have got to let the kids decide what they want to do...now if we had them under contract, like a pro team, then the situation would be different...Athletics may be the only way that kid has to express who he/she is...We have absolutely no right to take a kid away from a sport they WANT to play!

This is from a sports fans and more importantly, Baseball....

Spring and early Summer is for Baseball, should remain that way and that is what's wrong with a lot of sports in the KHSAA....Football and Basketball seasons allow for practice during Baseball and these sports are becoming almost year round....which force players to choose in some cases.

PLAY the sport in season and let the "out of season", schedule around.... :thumb:

:thumb: Agree 1000%