Baseball vs Spring Football Practice

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from a sports fans and more importantly, Baseball....

Spring and early Summer is for Baseball, should remain that way and that is what's wrong with a lot of sports in the KHSAA....Football and Basketball seasons allow for practice during Baseball and these sports are becoming almost year round....which force players to choose in some cases.

PLAY the sport in season and let the "out of season", schedule around.... :thumb:

I disagree. Basketball has "open gym", baseball has "open" field" but let a few guys wih footballs have "open field" and it hits the fan. I agree every kid should play as many sports as possible and I do not have a problem with the baseball players missing spring ball because it is basbeall season but when you try and limit the 10 days football gets in the spring is where I see a problem. I agree--let them play baseball during baseball season and basketball during basketball season but do not tell the players that if they don't play summer basketball (they would miss "official" football practice) then they can't play that season. I have a problem with that big time.

I disagree. Basketball has "open gym", baseball has "open" field" but let a few guys wih footballs have "open field" and it hits the fan. I agree every kid should play as many sports as possible and I do not have a problem with the baseball players missing spring ball because it is baseball season but when you try and limit the 10 days football gets in the spring is where I see a problem. I agree--let them play baseball during baseball season and basketball during basketball season but do not tell the players that if they don't play summer basketball (they would miss "official" football practice) then they can't play that season. I have a problem with that big time.
...overlapping sports, into other seasons will certainly cause this problem and in my opinion hurts the non-revenue sport...Baseball.

Most Football programs have conditioning/weight-lifting now and Basketball players will be attending spring/summer camps and unfortunately, players have to make a choice....OR the pressure to play in one or the other sport, from teammates, parents or coaches.

Baseball camps are usually in the winter months now and that affects the Basketball season. Minimizing the amount of overlap in Baseball, Football and Basketball is the obvious choice...so the student-athlete, can make the choice and not have it made for them.

I disagree. Basketball has "open gym", baseball has "open" field" but let a few guys wih footballs have "open field" and it hits the fan. I agree every kid should play as many sports as possible and I do not have a problem with the baseball players missing spring ball because it is basbeall season but when you try and limit the 10 days football gets in the spring is where I see a problem. I agree--let them play baseball during baseball season and basketball during basketball season but do not tell the players that if they don't play summer basketball (they would miss "official" football practice) then they can't play that season. I have a problem with that big time.

Open gym is entirely different than Spring practice. One's voluntary and means squat, the other's mandatory and some coaches even determine their depth chart from it.

I agree with STRIKE3 on the playing the sport that is in season, but I don't think that baseball is left out of the equation as far as the "year around" part goes. With summer leagues (read AAU/like Basketball) and the increasing number of teams having "fall ball", as well as the number of camps and clinics and batting cages around, baseball coaches have at the very least an "equal opportunity" to have their kids working year around.

The key is for the coaches to work TOGETHER and schedule so the kids can participate if they are talented enough to do so, but the athlete should go into this understanding full well the amount of WORK that he is going to have to put in to prepare properly for each sport. This should not be a surprise to the athlete or the coach for that matter.

The opportunity to compete at a high level is the best thing that a HS kid can do to prepare himself for athletics.

Wouldn't football players miss a few baseball games if they attended spring football practice? I think there are alot of football coaches who excuse those kids who play baseball from the spring practice. It's a tough choice these teenagers have to make.

I agree with STRIKE3 on the playing the sport that is in season, but I don't think that baseball is left out of the equation as far as the "year around" part goes. With summer leagues (read AAU/like Basketball) and the increasing number of teams having "fall ball", as well as the number of camps and clinics and batting cages around, baseball coaches have at the very least an "equal opportunity" to have their kids working year around.

The key is for the coaches to work TOGETHER and schedule so the kids can participate if they are talented enough to do so, but the athlete should go into this understanding full well the amount of WORK that he is going to have to put in to prepare properly for each sport.

Working together my friend is the key, as you mentioned and hopefully it happens at every school.

As for the Baseball not being left out for year round, here is my question:

Football - gets spring practice, school facilities, equipment and coaches.

Basketball - gets summer camps, school facilities, equipment and coaches.

Baseball - are the coaches allowed to use the school facilities, equipment and coaches out of season like Football and Basketball?....

At Somerset, Coach Grundy will allow the football players to attend the spring practices and he will also try his best to schedule the baseball practices around the spring football practices.

What happens when his ace pitcher breaks his arm in a spring football drill?

Working together my friend is the key, as you mentioned and hopefully it happens at every school.

As for the Baseball not being left out for year round, here is my question:

Football - gets spring practice, school facilities, equipment and coaches.

Basketball - gets summer camps, school facilities, equipment and coaches.

Baseball - are the coaches allowed to use the school facilities, equipment and coaches out of season like Football and Basketball?....[/QUOTE][/

From what I have seen, Definitely yes on the facilities, not sure about coaches and equipment.

Bottom line is the working together. If this is what is best for the kid then that is what should be above all else. Like you said, hopefully it happens at every school. We all know that is not true, but "hopefully" it would ;)

This is from a sports fans and more importantly, Baseball....

Spring and early Summer is for Baseball, should remain that way and that is what's wrong with a lot of sports in the KHSAA....Football and Basketball seasons allow for practice during Baseball and these sports are becoming almost year round....which force players to choose in some cases.

PLAY the sport in season and let the "out of season", schedule around.... :thumb:

I'm right with you on this one. It has long been one of my pet peeves that the day of the multi-sport athlete is coming to an end. For the vast majority of athletes, it all ends at graduation. Play all you like, play for fun, and enjoy your high school years.

I'm right with you on this one. It has long been one of my pet peeves that the day of the multi-sport athlete is coming to an end. For the vast majority if athletes, It all ends at graduation. Play all you like, play for fun, and enjoy your high school years.

Absolutely. :thumb: Wish I had been talented enough to play all 3 throughout HS.

From what I have seen, Definitely yes on the facilities, not sure about coaches and equipment.

Bottom line is the working together. If this is what is best for the kid then that is what should be above all else. Like you said, hopefully it happens at every school. We all know that is not true, but "hopefully" it would ;)

...What does ByLaw 25 apply to and more specifically the Case Law at 25-6...regarding "cannots"

Here is a link.... http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw25.pdf

I'm right with you on this one. It has long been one of my pet peeves that the day of the multi-sport athlete is coming to an end. For the vast majority if athletes, It all ends at graduation. Play all you like, play for fun, and enjoy your high school years.
...the High School career goes by quickly and never look back and say..."If only I would have played...."

Open gym is entirely different than Spring practice. One's voluntary and means squat, the other's mandatory and some coaches even determine their depth chart from it.

Some schools it's voluntary--some basketball coaches will make it madatory. Some Football coaches do as well and some baseball coaches do as well, Everyone is right in that "ALL" coaches must work together and allow these young men to play the sport in season. I know the schools I've been involved with the baseball team, basketball team, track and football all used the facilities and worked out the times and dates. It can work.