Pope Benedict XVI to resign Feburary 28

the Cardinal from Africa who was the Prefect for the Sacraments. I think his name was Cardinal Francis Arinze? Something like that?

Yeah, Francis Cardinal Arinze. He resigned that office a few years ago. He turned 80 last year and so is now ineligible to vote in this conclave.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still processing all this. I've run the whole gamut of various feelings on this decision throughout the day. Still haven't really settled.

I don't know what he'll do next; there's some speculation that he'll retire to a Benedictine monastery at which he's made several retreats before. Whatever he does next, I wish him long life and many years of peace.

Interesting. I was always under the impression that the 2005 election was pretty much a sure thing for Ratzinger (Benedict XVI) and if not him, the Cardinal from Africa who was the Prefect for the Sacraments. I think his name was Cardinal Francis Arinze? Something like that?

Sounds like the best chance for a non European this time is the Cardinal over the Archdiocese of Sao Paulo Brazil.

Well, there are no official tallies that are supposed to make it out of the Sistine Chapel (the burning paper that the votes are cast on are actually what produce the smoke seen by the outside world). However, there was a diary that surfaced reportedly belonging to another German Cardinal that detailed the info I had about the other three. Ratzinger/Benedict was certainly the primary front-runner for both days of the election process, though.

Going into the 2005 Conclave, Cardinal Arinze was definitely considered a frontrunner, though - as was Cardinal Trujillo. However, Cardinal Arinze is now 80 years old, and Cardinal Trujillo died in 2008, so neither will be amongst the papabili in March.

I would guess, personally, that the Conclave will strive to elect a younger Pope in hopes of a longer reign, more like that of Pope John Paul II.

I'd be very interested to hear where they got their information for this list, but here is the first list of papabili I have been able to come across...

Frontrunners to succeed Pope Benedict XVI - The Denver Post

"Joao Braz de Aviz (Brazil, 65) brought fresh air to the Vatican department for religious congregations when he took over in 2011. He supports the preference for the poor in Latin America's liberation theology, but not the excesses of its advocates. Possible drawbacks include his low profile.

Timothy Dolan, (USA, 62) became the voice of U.S. Catholicism after being named archbishop of New York in 2009. His humor and dynamism have impressed the Vatican, where both are often missing. But cardinals are wary of a "superpower pope" and his back-slapping style may be too American for some.

Marc Ouellet (Canada, 68) is effectively the Vatican's top staff director as head of the Congregation for Bishops. He once said becoming pope "would be a nightmare." Though well connected within the Curia, the widespread secularism of his native Quebec could work against him.

Gianfranco Ravasi (Italy, 70) has been Vatican culture minister since 2007 and represents the Church to the worlds of art, science, culture and even to atheists. This profile could hurt him if cardinals decide they need an experienced pastor rather than another professor as pope.

Leonardo Sandri (Argentina, 69) is a "transatlantic" figure born in Buenos Aires to Italian parents. He held the third-highest Vatican post as its chief of staff in 2000-2007. But he has no pastoral experience and his job overseeing eastern churches is not a power position in Rome.

Odilo Pedro Scherer (Brazilia, 63) ranks as Latin America's strongest candidate. Archbishop of Sao Paolo, largest diocese in the largest Catholic country, he is conservative in his country but would rank as a moderate elsewhere. The rapid growth of Protestant churches in Brazil could count against him.

Christoph Schoenborn (Austria, 67) is a former student of Pope Benedict with a pastoral touch the pontiff lacks. The Vienna archbishop has ranked as papal material since editing the Church catechism in the 1990s. But some cautious reform stands and strong dissent by some Austrian priests could hurt him.

Angelo Scola (Italy, 71) is archbishop of Milan, a springboard to the papacy, and is many Italians' bet to win. An expert on bioethics, he also knows Islam as head of a foundation to promote Muslim-Christian understanding. His dense oratory could put off cardinals seeking a charismatic communicator.

Luis Tagle (Philippines, 55) has a charisma often compared to that of the late Pope John Paul. He is also close to Pope Benedict after working with him at the International Theological Commission. While he has many fans, he only became a cardinal in 2012 and conclaves are wary of young candidates.

Peter Turkson (Ghana, 64) is the top African candidate. Head of the Vatican justice and peace bureau, he is spokesman for the Church's social conscience and backs world financial reform. He showed a video criticizing Muslims at a recent Vatican synod, raising doubts about how he sees Islam."

Scola, Ravasi and Sandri. I like Ravasi, if they go outside of Europe it will then be Sandri.

The Church will go after someone that the Cardinals believe will be best for the entire Church, Catholic population means nothing!

I haven't checked on all of them, but I do agree that they will go for someone who is more open, John Paul II loved to go out in public, someone with a bit more personality perhaps?

One thing about John Paul II, those close to him said his mind never went. This is the season that would be very stressful on a Pope, the timing is interesting as it brings up just how serious his health is at this point.

This is a very interesting take on the Pope's resignation:

A Final Act of Papal Teaching | America Magazine

"I recall a conversation with a European scholar who criticized Benedict for making the papacy “small.” In some ways, I suspect that was his intent. Benedict is carefully refining the definition of the papacy even as he leaves it."

Timothy Dolan, (USA, 62) became the voice of U.S. Catholicism after being named archbishop of New York in 2009. His humor and dynamism have impressed the Vatican, where both are often missing. But cardinals are wary of a "superpower pope" and his back-slapping style may be too American for some.

I laugh about his back-slapping style that may be too American for some. Cardinal Dolan is certainly a leader whose position does not afffect how he looks at himself and others. Dolan and the Archbishop of Louisville have often been referred to as "smiling conservatives" in that they hold to the Church's teachings but when teaching the faith and defending it, do so in a friendly, diplomatic fashion which leaves those who disagree with them still respecting them. Benedict XVI was sometimes thought to be a little harsh, similar to Archbishop Chaput who used to be Denver's Archbishop but I believe he is now I believe Philly's Archbishop. Cardinal Raymond Burke was also thought be similar to Benedict XVI and Chaput. Most popes have head a prim and proper way of holding themselves. Dolan would be a much more relaxed pontiff.

This article has researched some of our questions.

Papal resignation Explainer: Is Benedict still infallible? Does the ex-pope get a pension? What about his Twitter account? - Slate Magazine

I didn't realize he would have to be renamed a Cardinal, I thought you took that title to the grave. Interesting. My guess is he will be named a cardinal the same day as the new pope is elected.

I would be surprised if he does not go back to Bavaria in Germany, I would think he misses his home country. The exception would be if he believes he will die soon. No since in going back just to pass and then the church has to take you back to Rome for your funeral and burial.

I am glad the article mentioned infallible and added that at no time was he ever infallible during his papacy and he never once considered making an ex cathedra statement. Infallibility has to be one of the most misunderstood belief in the church even amongst practicing Catholics.

Was Bishop in Milwaukee. Confirmed 2 nephews and a niece.

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.

After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

BENEDICTUS PP XVI

That was very touching.

I'd be very interested to hear where they got their information for this list, but here is the first list of papabili I have been able to come across...

Frontrunners to succeed Pope Benedict XVI - The Denver Post

"Joao Braz de Aviz (Brazil, 65) brought fresh air to the Vatican department for religious congregations when he took over in 2011. He supports the preference for the poor in Latin America's liberation theology, but not the excesses of its advocates. Possible drawbacks include his low profile.

Marc Ouellet (Canada, 68) is effectively the Vatican's top staff director as head of the Congregation for Bishops. He once said becoming pope "would be a nightmare." Though well connected within the Curia, the widespread secularism of his native Quebec could work against him.

Gianfranco Ravasi (Italy, 70) has been Vatican culture minister since 2007 and represents the Church to the worlds of art, science, culture and even to atheists. This profile could hurt him if cardinals decide they need an experienced pastor rather than another professor as pope.

Leonardo Sandri (Argentina, 69) is a "transatlantic" figure born in Buenos Aires to Italian parents. He held the third-highest Vatican post as its chief of staff in 2000-2007. But he has no pastoral experience and his job overseeing eastern churches is not a power position in Rome.

Odilo Pedro Scherer (Brazilia, 63) ranks as Latin America's strongest candidate. Archbishop of Sao Paolo, largest diocese in the largest Catholic country, he is conservative in his country but would rank as a moderate elsewhere. The rapid growth of Protestant churches in Brazil could count against him.

Christoph Schoenborn (Austria, 67) is a former student of Pope Benedict with a pastoral touch the pontiff lacks. The Vienna archbishop has ranked as papal material since editing the Church catechism in the 1990s. But some cautious reform stands and strong dissent by some Austrian priests could hurt him.

Angelo Scola (Italy, 71) is archbishop of Milan, a springboard to the papacy, and is many Italians' bet to win. An expert on bioethics, he also knows Islam as head of a foundation to promote Muslim-Christian understanding. His dense oratory could put off cardinals seeking a charismatic communicator.

Luis Tagle (Philippines, 55) has a charisma often compared to that of the late Pope John Paul. He is also close to Pope Benedict after working with him at the International Theological Commission. While he has many fans, he only became a cardinal in 2012 and conclaves are wary of young candidates.

Peter Turkson (Ghana, 64) is the top African candidate. Head of the Vatican justice and peace bureau, he is spokesman for the Church's social conscience and backs world financial reform. He showed a video criticizing Muslims at a recent Vatican synod, raising doubts about how he sees Islam."

Here are three more whose names were mentioned quite a bit surrounding the 2005 Papal Conclave. At this point, most Catholic historians and theologians are acknowledging that virtually any Cardinal could be elected:

Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga (Honduras, 71) - His relative "youth" could prove appealing in the 2013 Conclave, as well as his non-European heritage, hailing from Tegucigalpa, Honduras, where he currently serves as Archbishop. His dynamic personality (he is also fluent in 6 languages) and somewhat moderate views could offer appeal to those looking for a Pope with counter-traits to Benedict's staunch conservatism and less charismatic manners. He has served as president of the Latin American Episcopal Conference, as well as serving as the Vatican's spokesperson with the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone (Cardinal Secretary of State, 78) - Along with ministries as Archbishop of Vercelli, Archbishop of Genoa, and Cardinal-Bishop of Frascati, he served for 7 years alongside the Pope (then Cardinal Ratzinger) as Secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He is very educated in the Church doctrine, having also taught moral theology and Canon law for 24 years at the Salesian Pontifical University. He was somewhat rumored in 2005 to have been in the running for Papal election, although it was widely accepted that Cardinal Ratzinger was far more likely.

Cardinal Cláudio Hummes (Brazil, 78) Although his unofficial "retirement" from ministry has certainly removed him from any major likelihood of being a front-runner, he is, like Cardinal Rodriguez Mardiaga, a South American-born change from the European norm. He has spent much of his career studying and preaching ecumenism, and tends to walk a slightly more moderate line - among other things, having spoken about the potential need to review the Church's position on celibacy in the priesthood. He served as Archbishop of Fortaleza, and Archbishop of São Paulo before becoming the prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy.

Some interesting points I've learned about Cardinal Dolan that would lead me to believe that he pretty clearly won't be the next Pope:

Cardinal Dolan is only fluent in English and Spanish, which leaves him at quite a disadvantage compared to many of the other Cardinals. For example, Pope Benedict XVI is fluent in German, English, Italian, French, Spanish, classical Latin, and has knowledge of Portuguese. Pope John Paul II was fluent in Polish, Italian, French, German, English, Spanish, Portugese, Russian, Croatian, Ancient Greek and classical Latin.

His charisma is often seen as a positive, and it is fairly widely agreed that a more charismatic Pope will be elected. However, when compared to Pope Benedict XVI, "more charismatic" may end up being a good bit less dynamic than Cardinal Dolan - who once donned a cheesehead while giving a homily in his time as Archbishop of Milwaukee. There are those in many other cultures who may not find actions like that quite so endearing as those in the American culture.

This is what is interesting for me. I work in a company with people of a variety of backgrounds...Hindu, Islam, athesist, Protestant, Catholic, young, old, etc etc. The interest in the pope's resignation and the process to elect a new one is amazing! As the "token Catholic" in the office, I try to answer their questions as best as I can. There is something to be said for a centuries old tradition that grabs the attention of those who you think wouldn't care.