Pope Benedict XVI to resign Feburary 28

This is what is interesting for me. I work in a company with people of a variety of backgrounds...Hindu, Islam, athesist, Protestant, Catholic, young, old, etc etc. The interest in the pope's resignation and the process to elect a new one is amazing! As the "token Catholic" in the office, I try to answer their questions as best as I can. There is something to be said for a centuries old tradition that grabs the attention of those who you think wouldn't care.

Absolutely agreed.

Along the lines of what you're saying, I've noticed over the years that as much as so many non-Catholics pan the idea of going to confession, man oh man do they love to include scenes in confessionals on tv and in movies. :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely agreed.

Along the lines of what you're saying, I've noticed over the years that as much as so many non-Catholics pan the idea of going to confession, man oh man do they love to include scenes in confessionals on tv and in movies. :D

Most Catholics stay away from Confession too, even though it is a very "human" thing to do. TV and movies always show it in the pre-Vatican II form (the dark closet with a screen of separation, the gruff priest, women wearing veils, etc.). I look at it like a face to face conversation between two friends where one (the priest) is trying to help the other (me) become a better person.

Bringing it back to topic, I think the new pope will need to continue to take the Church into 21st century thinking and work to improve other's perception of the Church while holding fast to the specific beliefs and traditions. No easy task.

Bringing it back to topic, I think the new pope will need to continue to take the Church into 21st century thinking and work to improve other's perception of the Church while holding fast to the specific beliefs and traditions. No easy task.

I pray they chose the one who can.

Whomever they chose, my hope is that he's under the age of 65. They need someone who will be around awhile.

I can imagine him being in his late 60s. I can't imagine he'll be much younger than that. John Paul II was only 65 at the time of his selection and was thought alarmingly young for the task.

I can imagine him being in his late 60s. I can't imagine he'll be much younger than that.John Paul II was only 65 at the time of his selection and was thought alarmingly young for the task.
Blessed John Paul II was 58 when He assumed the Papacy not 65 . John Paul I was 65 . Edited by KyTmcNcc

So you think they should have gone with someone other than Karol Wojtyla (Pope John Paul II) since you claim that is way too young?

John Paul II had numerous excellent qualities that made him a great pope. But as a general rule, I am not a fan of long reigns in the papacy.

Benedict was picked to be a "bridge" or "stand in" Pope, He wasn't suppose to last that long anyway. But, as has been stated, with the advancement of medicine, people are living longer, and being a Pope you have some of the best medical care in the world. As Benedict has stated, with the advancement of there world it was also hard for him to carry on at his age and all. The Church is said by many to face a lot of upcoming challenges, and an older Pope may not be able to face such a challenge. I think the next Pope could be younger than most, and one that will be able to stay for a longer time as well as have the strength to face the challenges. But as I have said before, it will be one who the Cardinals see as the best to lead now, as the saying goes, "if there is a front runner, then throw him out, as he won't get the job".