Pope Benedict XVI to resign Feburary 28

Is anybody else picking up on the surprising amount of misinformation that's coming out of news outlets - especially on a local level? This morning Cincinnati's Channel 12 news reported that the only continents never to have a Pope are South America and Africa.

Media have no clue about matters of faith. They also have a tendancy to bring clerics to discussion panels who don't tend to follow the traditional beliefs and message of the Church.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are officially sede vacante now correct?

Would love to see Cardinal Dolan or O'Malley get the fisherman's ring but I think the rest of the world is nnervous about the last superpower also providing the pope.

No, not until 2pm EST (8pm in Rome).

This morning Cincinnati's Channel 12 news reported that the only continents never to have a Pope are South America and Africa.

Hmmmmm pretty sure the continent we are currently in has never had a pope and while it has been several centuries, Africa has had a few popes.

Pope Benedict issued an Apostolic Letter on February 22 that clarified a few rules about the proceedings surrounding the Conclave. His letter also included a specific oath to be instituted at the beginning of the Conclave and to be sworn by all Cardinals and other staff/assistants authorized to be present in Saint Martha's House (the Vatican guest house assigned to the College of Cardinals) and in the Sistine Chapel where the Conclave takes place. Those taking the oath swear, with their hand on the Bible, to perpetual/permanent secrecy about anything relating to the balloting and election process during the Conclave. It also includes specific prohibition of audio or video equipment capable of recording anything that takes place during the process. Breaking the oath is punishable with excommunication.

I assume this is in response to the alleged uncovering and release of the diary of one of the Cardinals following the 2005 Papal Conclave, as well as the undoubted pressure from all of the world's press to have the best scoop on the entire process.

Here's the letter in its original Latin text.

And here is is translated to English.

I read somewhere that they are supposed to have that determined by Monday, March 4th.

Correction, they will begin meeting on Monday, March 4th to determine when the Conclave will begin. I wouldn't doubt that the decision could be made on Monday, but it does not have to be determined on that day.