All A tournament

RCC9 - The research that should have been done is below. It is very revealing and is very relevant to this discussion and to what you are trying to present. Each region has the regional winners listed for 2012 (last season). The first is the ALL A regional winner, the second is the regular regional winner. As you can see, from the bolded lines, that last year presented ONLY TWO All A regional winners that were able to go on and win their end of season regional tournament. That is 2 out of 16 or better presented as 12.5%. That is a very low percentage statewide and not what I would consider a "handful." This list is actual results, no "could haves" or "opinions". As you can see, it is not common for a team to win both ALL A regional and the regular regional. You argument that the same teams have as good of chance to win the regular regional anyway is not very strong. If that was true, then there would be more than 12.5 percent STATEWIDE that are able to win both.

I thought this was more revealing and that you would be happy to have your tough question answered...or maybe your real motivation is more than just asking tough questions.:lol:

Region 1 Murray / Marshall County

Region 2 University Heights / Hopkinsville

Region 3 Owensboro Catholic / Muhlenberg County

Region 4 Monroe County / Gascow

Region 5 Green County / Marion County

Region 6 Louisville Holy Cross / Butler

Region 7 Kentucky County Day / DuPont Manual

Region 8 Walton Verona / Walton Verona

Region 9 Newport Central Catholic / Boone County

Region 10 Bishop Brossart / Montgomery County

Region 11 Lexington Christian / Paul Laurence Dunbar

Region 12 Somerset / Lincoln County

Region 13 Harlan / Clay Co

Region 14 Owsley County / Perry County Central

Region 15 Magoffin County / Magoffin County

Region 16 Raceland / Ashland Blazer

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I seen Webster play and if there ranked 24th Im shocked! Its like RCC9 you think its a advantage for other teams to play in the ALL A. Please tell me what the difference is playing in the All A and playing in some big tourny's during a season? In the All A you dont pick who you play but as a coach if you wanted to play in particular tournaments so you could see several teams and play some of them before districts or regionals isnt that a bit of a advantage? Like I said, If you havent been part of it you just wouldnt understand and you can go on ALLLLLLLLL day questioning and doing your research and its not gonna change.

I'm not saying its not a great and competitive tournament and that the girls love playing in it. I'm sure for the minority of the teams that dominate this tournament, it's something that their kids look forward to every year. All of that is great. I'm sure as a fan that its a very entertaining event to be a part of. I'm not denying any of that and it's all wonderful!

All I'm saying that when folks are questioned as to why this is a segmented tournament, everyone defends it by saying "oh, it's great because it gives the small schools a chance to experience things things such as regions and state events that they wouldn't otherwise get to do." I say that's a garbage excuse because the 2/3 of the teams that should be getting exposure still have been dominated by the other 1/3 of the teams for the last 20 years. And those teams that have dominated are very competitive inside their own regular regional tournaments. So to say it is segmented out to provide opportunities for the teams that can't compete, is not true at all. So I will ask you the original question again...what is this tournament for and why is it segmented? If the answer is because you eventually get to see the best small schools compete (which can compete against the big schools) then say that. They arent teams that dont get opportunities otherwise. And if its an opportunity to let one of those schools (who can compete) win a championship, then say that. But then lets move to classes in Ky because there are schools of every size (not just A) that would love to have the opportunity to compete for championships against only schools similar in size.

Now I don't want that to happen, but this is exactly what has happened to this tournament.

Okay I'm being sarcastic now....I have to go now. Duke energy just called. They are going to sponsor my new tournament for next year! So be on the lookout for the first annual Mid-size school KY State Invitational. It will be for 2a and 3a schools only. No private school need apply. We will also be sending out forms to discuss your teams previous years record to make sure that HHS...I mean... all teams have a fair chance and that its not dominated by a few. This will be a great event!

Again, over exaggerating and being very sarcastic, but you get my point! This tournament would be segmented and for no other reason than just to have another tournament and hand out a trophy. This tournament would still be a great event in which teams, players and fans look forward to and love to attend and watch very competitive games and hang banners for (as someone said). Now if this tournament was real, what would everyone that is defending the A say about this one?

As someone said...this is a compromise tournament. An exception if you will? The state wants no part of breaking Ky tradition and going to a class system. Therefore,they allow this tournament to happen and hope that others don't follow path. If they did, people would start to push for classes in bball and they would never let that happen. So for those saying start your own tournament, they'd never let it happen.

RCC9 - The research that should have been done is below. It is very revealing and is very relevant to this discussion and to what you are trying to present. Each region has the regional winners listed for 2012 (last season). The first is the ALL A regional winner, the second is the regular regional winner. As you can see, from the bolded lines, that last year presented ONLY TWO All A regional winners that were able to go on and win their end of season regional tournament. That is 2 out of 16 or better presented as 12.5%. That is a very low percentage statewide and not what I would consider a "handful." This list is actual results, no "could haves" or "opinions". As you can see, it is not common for a team to win both ALL A regional and the regular regional. You argument that the same teams have as good of chance to win the regular regional anyway is not very strong. If that was true, then there would be more than 12.5 percent STATEWIDE that are able to win both.

I thought this was more revealing and that you would be happy to have your tough question answered...or maybe your real motivation is more than just asking tough questions.:lol:

Region 1 Murray / Marshall County

Region 2 University Heights / Hopkinsville

Region 3 Owensboro Catholic / Muhlenberg County

Region 4 Monroe County / Gascow

Region 5 Green County / Marion County

Region 6 Louisville Holy Cross / Butler

Region 7 Kentucky County Day / DuPont Manual

Region 8 Walton Verona / Walton Verona

Region 9 Newport Central Catholic / Boone County

Region 10 Bishop Brossart / Montgomery County

Region 11 Lexington Christian / Paul Laurence Dunbar

Region 12 Somerset / Lincoln County

Region 13 Harlan / Clay Co

Region 14 Owsley County / Perry County Central

Region 15 Magoffin County / Magoffin County

Region 16 Raceland / Ashland Blazer

I corrected myself and said I meant to say that they have just as good of a chance to be competitive in their region as many other schools that don't get to play in their own segmented tournament. When you lob them all into together, the chances of winning the region is very tough. You become 1 of many schools. I say the same ones that are winning the regions are just as competitive and fall in the top qtr of their region as all of the other teams in their region. They may not win their region, but neither do 12-13 other teams in that same region and most of them don't get a separate opportunity to compete elsewhere.

For anyone to win a regional it's going to be tough. I bet if you looked harder you could find multiple non-A schools in each region that haven't won their region in the last 20 years. Heck, I bet you could find some that have never won a region! Those guys don't get an opportunity to play in a different championship event! They just deal with it. Why is A different?

If the teams that are dominating the All A are still very competitive in their region, don't say it's for opportunities for the small school. Then that tells me you believe in a class system and all schools of every size have the same argument! You either believe in a class aystem or you don't. It shouldn't be for just certain classes.

For the record, I like the bball the way it is. The best win and they are the undisputed champs! Tough luck to everyone else. It shouldn't be easy to win or have segmented tournaments if we truly believe in the KY way.

The All A is a marketing marvel. Whomever did it did it right because the emotions and feeling around this tournament are unsurpassed by any other tournament other than by the State Championship at the end of the season.

The All A is a marketing marvel. Whomever did it did it right because the emotions and feeling around this tournament are unsurpassed by any other tournament other than by the State Championship at the end of the season.

It may be hard for those outside of the small school atmosphere to see, but to the little guys this is a state tournament.

I wake up and see you are still going on about it! Hardheaded indeed. It's just a tournament; that's all. A tourney that generates alot of excitement and pride for those who participate. It's all about the kids afterall. You are starting to sound like Scrooge wanting to take this tourney away. Stop being mean Scrooge. Go buy us a big ham and come down to Frankfort tonight. See for yourself why everyone loves the All A. You wear your Birds gear; I will too.

After 144 posts on this thread and hopefully not many more lets just let it go cause the tournament ends tomorrow and we wont have to discuss it no more.... Until next year. :thumb:

This is all yesterday's news! I'm on to causing trouble elsewhere! And for me, I hope folks know none of this is personal. I do like to go against the grain sometimes and I also like to tell it like it is...even if it's not the politically correct thing to do. But let's talk about it! Not avoid it!

This is all yesterday's news! I'm on to causing trouble elsewhere! And for me, I hope folks know none of this is personal. I do like to go against the grain sometimes and I also like to tell it like it is...even if it's not the politically correct thing to do. But let's talk about it! Not avoid it!

Is this LB in disguise?

You couldve told us this RCC9 after about 10 posts and you couldve saved us all days on this one! :thumb:

You guys just kept antagonizing me!!! See it's your fault, not mine! See how I do that?