All A tournament

They do. It's called the KHSAA state tournament. All A consists of about half of all schools.you have to be in the smallest 200 or so schools in order to be invited.

Actually I think it is the smallest 150 schools. Also since Ky is one of only 2 states ( i think) that still have a state wide state toutney, ( no classes ) it gives the smaller schools a reasonable shot at winning a state championship. I suppose you could call it a compromise.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they do play aau. I know they work for it and that's why they are and continue to be successful. My point is, you can "get on stage" in AAU. And I'm not really talking about the NCC's and Brossarts and Waltons and the majority of the teams that make the 16 teams down state in the A. I'm saying that if you use the reason that the A creates opportunities for the teams that don't have any chance to get other exposure, I CALL BS. Look at the teams in the 16 and tell me they don't have just as good or better of a chance to win their region and get to the state as just about anyone else in their region. The ones that won their A regions can compete just as well as any of the other teams in their regular regions. It's not about giving opportunities to the small schools because the ones that need it don't get the opportunities anyway.

I don't know what your smoking but would you please give me some. If you look at all the 16 teams in the All A, there is less than a handful that have a chance of winning their region. That's why the All A is so important to those teams.

Not sure where I said that. If you took it that way, it wasn't intended that way. I didn't say that anyone doesn't work hard. I'm saying that if my daughter didn't make the region, the sobeit. Others are saying that this is a great opportunity for them to play on the big stage and experience a journey through the region and state. I'm saying, the teams that made it through the region and are playing in the state are the same teams my daughter's team competes with and will compete for a regional title for. So why does there have to be another region for the A teams if it's the same teams that we'll all compete with in the regular regionals. It's not about getting those teams exposure the on the big stage, they DO work hard and create their own opportunities in the regular regional.

Again, give me some of that stuff. Only a handful contend for their regional titles.

I'm sure the All A (which I think we're finding out is not just A teams) is a great experience for the top teams. I'm sure it's fun if you walk into the tournament as a loaded small school with a great program. But those are the minority. How many of those small schools bail out in the first round of their region every year with big losses to the Waltons, Brossarts and NCC's? Is it a great experience for them?

I'm really confused. In your previos posts, you said that these 16 teams in the All A have a good or better chance to win their regions and get to the state as just about anyone else in their regions. Now your saying that the majority of these small schools bail out in the first round of their region each year. Which way is it?

I'm really confused. In your previos posts, you said that these 16 teams in the All A have a good or better chance to win their regions and get to the state as just about anyone else in their regions. Now your saying that the majority of these small schools bail out in the first round of their region each year. Which way is it?

Please read again. Said several of the teams bail out in the first round of their A region, not the 16 that are in the state. Talking about all the other teams that didn't make the 16 at state and took a beating by the teams that did. Please keep up if you're going to try and be funny!!

Not denying that it's tough on small schools. I'm sure it is. And size absolutely matters once you get below a certain number. However, the schools that this was intended for get 0 benefit out of it. In fact, the majority of the schools it was intended for get nothing out of it. Again, what did Villa, Calvary, Silver Grove, Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Cov Latin get out of this tournament? And that's only NKY and I'm sure i'm missing a few.

Calvary just won the region a couple years ago, and has the banner to prove it in their gym; so I'm guessing it was a bit of a big deal to them? All of the above and the 125+ schools that comprise the All "A" field get to play at least one game in a "regional tourney environment" every year.

Rag on this tourney all you will, but it still crowns a champion that survives a regional tourney, and then wins four games in four days on a big stage (sound familiar?). Best of 125 may not sound like much to you & the other All "A" haters, but I'll take it over "surviving" a field of 32 to win a "State Football Championship"??

I know they do play aau. I know they work for it

and that's why they are and continue to be successful. My point is, you can "get on stage" in AAU. And I'm not really talking about the NCC's and

Brossarts and Waltons and the majority of the teams that make the

16 teams down state in the A. I'm saying that if you use the reason that the A creates opportunities for the teams that don't have any chance to get other exposure, I CALL BS. Look at the teams in the 16 and tell me they don't have just as good or better of a chance to win their region and get to

the state as just about anyone else in their region. The ones that won their A regions can compete just as well as any of the other teams in their regular regions. It's not about giving opportunities to the small schools because the ones that need it don't get the opportunities anyway.

It doesn't work that way in the 8th Region. It's been since 1972 since a "small" school won the boys region. That was Carroll County.

For the girls Trimble County won in 1976 and 1981. Since then only Gallatin County in 1997 and Walton-Verona the past 2 seasons have won.

Again, give me some of that stuff. Only a handful contend for their regional titles.

Okay. Here you go

I assume you know that Brossart, NCC and Gallatin will all compete and have a good chance to win their region. That's a handful already when you are only talking about 16 teams.

Those are the easy ones, so lets move on.

Webster co. 17-2. Probably the favorite to win their region.

Monroe co. 16-3. 10-2 in their very strong region.

Murray 18-4 one of the favorites to win their region

Qwensboro catholic 13-5 10-0 in their strong region prob have one of the best players in the state.

Frankfort 13-4 5-2 in a very strong region. Maybe still the 3rd best team in their region.

Leslie co 19-6 10-2 in their region.

Danville 11-7 7-4 in a very strong region. Still 3rd or 4th best team in their region.

Magoffin co. 10-8 7-1 in their region.

Green co 13-7. 9-3 in their region.

Pineville. 14-8 10-6 in their region.

Holy cross. 12-10. 4-2 in a very strong region.

Louisville collegiate. 8-6 3-1 in their region.

West carter 8-11. 7-7 in their region.

Wow! Those teams look pretty good to me. In fact I'd venture to say only a handful WON'T be in the mix for their region. All of them have very good records inside their region except 1 and they are 7-7. Still think only a handful of the 16 have a chance. Only a handful in any region ever have a chance no matter how big your school is. Looks like whatever I'm smoking makes me pretty smart!

It doesn't work that way in the 8th Region. It's been since 1972 since a "small" school won the boys region. That was Carroll County.

For the girls Trimble County won in 1976 and 1981. Since then only Gallatin County in 1997 and Walton-Verona the past 2 seasons have won.

So what about all the other schools? I bet there are several others that haven't won the region very often too. That argument is no good until you post all the schools. If you tell show me that all the other schools have all won multiple regions, then you have an argument.

Calvary just won the region a couple years ago, and has the banner to prove it in their gym; so I'm guessing it was a bit of a big deal to them? All of the above and the 125+ schools that comprise the All "A" field get to play at least one game in a "regional tourney environment" every year.

Rag on this tourney all you will, but it still crowns a champion that survives a regional tourney, and then wins four games in four days on a big stage (sound familiar?). Best of 125 may not sound like much to you & the other All "A" haters, but I'll take it over "surviving" a field of 32 to win a "State Football Championship"??

So Calvary won the A region.

This is directly off the all A classic website. Don't see Calvary on there. Also looks like its been dominated by 2 teams.

1992 Walton-Verona Lost in Semi-State

1993 Saint Henry Lost in Quarterfinals

1994 Covington Holy Cross Lost in Quarterfinals

1995 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Quarterfinals

1996 Saint Henry Lost in Finals

1997 Covington Holy Cross Lost in Semifinals

1998 Covington Holy Cross Lost in Opening Round

1999 Covington Holy Cross Lost in Semifinals

2000 Newport Lost in Quarterfinals

2001 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Finals

2002 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Semifinals

2003 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Semifinals

2004 Covington Holy Cross Lost in Quarterfinals

2005 Covington Holy Cross Lost in Semifinals

2006 Covington Holy Cross Lost in Opening Round

2007 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Finals

2008 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Quarterfinals

2009 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Semifinals

2010 Newport Central Catholic State Champion

2011 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Semifinals

2012 Newport Central Catholic Lost in Finals

Okay. Here you go

I assume you know that Brossart, NCC and Gallatin will all compete and have a good chance to win their region. That's a handful already when you are only talking about 16 teams.

Those are the easy ones, so lets move on.

Webster co. 17-2. Probably the favorite to win their region.

Monroe co. 16-3. 10-2 in their very strong region.

Murray 18-4 one of the favorites to win their region

Qwensboro catholic 13-5 10-0 in their strong region prob have one of the best players in the state.

Frankfort 13-4 5-2 in a very strong region. Maybe still the 3rd best team in their region.

Leslie co 19-6 10-2 in their region.

Danville 11-7 7-4 in a very strong region. Still 3rd or 4th best team in their region.

Magoffin co. 10-8 7-1 in their region.

Green co 13-7. 9-3 in their region.

Pineville. 14-8 10-6 in their region.

Holy cross. 12-10. 4-2 in a very strong region.

Louisville collegiate. 8-6 3-1 in their region.

West carter 8-11. 7-7 in their region.

Wow! Those teams look pretty good to me. In fact I'd venture to say only a handful WON'T be in the mix for their region. All of them have very good records inside their region except 1 and they are 7-7. Still think only a handful of the 16 have a chance. Only a handful in any region ever have a chance no matter how big your school is. Looks like whatever I'm smoking makes me pretty smart!

Great research! So your point is there are a handful of good programs that dominate most regions, and some are in the smaller 40+% of the schools playing hoops in the state?? :confused: News flash--A small percentage of programs win their region the vast majority of the time (in virtually all sports)--Some are consistent winners and they're not all large schools??

This is directly off the all A classic website. Don't see Calvary on there. Also looks like its been dominated by 2 teams.

Good synopsis of the 9th region--Calvary is in the 10th!! :thumb:

Wow. Going back and looking at it even closer, the past results in almost every region have been dominated by 2 or maybe 3 teams from each region for the last 20 years. So again, lets say that each region had 3 dominate teams over that time. That's being generous. Most we're dominated by 2 teams and some by 1 team. But let's use 3. So the majority of the time 3 different teams won their region. That's 48 teams that dominated. That leaves over 100 teams that were supposed to have an "opportunity" to experience success and haven't come close.