All A tournament

First, for anyone to say that size "doesn't matter" in sports is reall rather clueless. If you run the number you will see that the once in every ten years small school state contender is a minute percentage of the state tournament participants. I believe there is a thread on that very topic somewhere in the BGP archives. The All-A is NOT a state tournament, it is an invitational, just like your aforementioned "glorified holiday tournament." That the schools that participate in it make it so special is a credit to those schools. Yes, there are issues with the tournament in terms of some of the participants, that it has lost some of it's original intent, and that it is misperceived as the small school state championship. There are teams now annually competing for the title that 20 years ago snubbed this very tournament as not worthy of their participation. But despite it's problems, this is good for basketball in this state, it is good for basketball at small schools, and it is good for the students that participate. And no, I'm not "hiding behind" (whatever in the world that means) not getting a chance. Unless you have lived the life of a small school in a nonclassed sport, you really have no idea what you are talking about quite frankly. I played at a big school and coached at a big school and now coach at a small school and I can attest to you there IS a gigantic difference in available talent, funding, and on and on.

Not denying that it's tough on small schools. I'm sure it is. And size absolutely matters once you get below a certain number. However, the schools that this was intended for get 0 benefit out of it. In fact, the majority of the schools it was intended for get nothing out of it. Again, what did Villa, Calvary, Silver Grove, Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Cov Latin get out of this tournament? And that's only NKY and I'm sure i'm missing a few.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are kids able to miss school for other reasons? My daughter is missing school today because she is at the March for Life in D.C. Sanctioned by the school so it's ok. All A is sanctioned by the school so it's ok...

may be different at a private school, but I don't think the public schools are allowed to miss school for a SPORTING EVENT unless it's KHSAA sanctioned. I may be wrong and it really doesn't matter. It just popped in my head when thinking about it.

I'm good with that. But to your holy cross example, that could happen to any team. The difference is that if that team is not an A school, their season is over. Where it their other opportunity?

My point was that they are a small school and typically won't get to play in a regional tournament, especially being in the same district as CovCath and Holmes, so the All A gave them that opportunity, thats all. And they took advantage of it and won the 9th region and State All A tournament last year. Holy Cross may not be the best example because they are a pretty good team every year, but as I said being in with two large schools in CovCath and Holmes makes it very difficult to get out of their district. There are many other small schools throughout the state that are in the same situation and the All A will give them the same opportunity.

Not denying that it's tough on small schools. I'm sure it is. And size absolutely matters once you get below a certain number. However, the schools that this was intended for get 0 benefit out of it. In fact, the majority of the schools it was intended for get nothing out of it. Again, what did Villa, Calvary, Silver Grove, Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Cov Latin get out of this tournament? And that's only NKY and I'm sure i'm missing a few.

They all got the opportunity to play in a regional tournament on a "big stage", something they do not typically get to do. They get to showcase their talents in front of a larger crowd and they usually have nice media coverage at these events. The kids definitely look forward to it.

may be different at a private school, but I don't think the public schools are allowed to miss school for a SPORTING EVENT unless it's KHSAA sanctioned. I may be wrong and it really doesn't matter. It just popped in my head when thinking about it.

Believe me, it's a process, at least at NCC, to get out of school to travel to the All A. You had to get all of your teachers to sign off on it after sending in a note from your parents. Then you had to check in with Mr. Detzel when you got to the games to make sure you were, indeed, attending the games. I would assume if you are doing poorly in school, you would not be allowed to miss school to attend.

Okay, then how are players allowed to miss school for the tournament if its not a KHSAA sanctioned event?

Same reason both NCC and Brossart loaded the buses this week for the March for Life rally in DC!!!!

OK Mr 4A. some stats for you. .

Of the teams you mentioned Both Calvary and Newport have made it down state. Dayton and Bellevue were in the original event before it went state wide.

Calvary 0 girls 1 boys

Newport 1 girls and 1 boys

also NKY teams that have benefited.

Holy cross

Gallatin

NCC

St Henry

Walton

Bishop Brossart

Williamstown

not sure how many on this list have ever made it to the KHSAA state tourney? NCC and Brossart for sure.

They all got the opportunity to play in a regional tournament on a "big stage", something they do not typically get to do. They get to showcase their talents in front of a larger crowd and they usually have nice media coverage at these events. The kids definitely look forward to it.

I'm not trying to go into a rat hole with you, but kids get shut out of the region all the time. These All A kids then are guaranteed to play on the big stage (as you call it) every year. That means without doing anything, they get that opportunity at least 4 times and if they make the region any 4 of those years, they get more. My kid could play for 4 years and never make the regional tournament. Who do I see about getting her on the big stage and opportunities? What if you are in the district with Ryle, Conner, and Boone. Again, one of those schools could very easily go 4 years without making the regional. It might have happened to Conner (don't know for sure) What about those poor kids.

I'm not trying to go into a rat hole with you, but kids get shut out of the region all the time. These All A kids then are guaranteed to play on the big stage (as you call it) every year. That means without doing anything, they get that opportunity at least 4 times and if they make the region any 4 of those years, they get more. My kid could play for 4 years and never make the regional tournament. Who do I see about getting her on the big stage and opportunities? What if you are in the district with Ryle, Conner, and Boone. Again, one of those schools could very easily go 4 years without making the regional. It might have happened to Conner (don't know for sure) What about those poor kids.

All someone has to do is step up and organize a tournament for that class. Then they will have the opportunity to play on the "big stage".

I believe your daughter has that opportunity playing for a big school like Highlands. They compete year in and year out with all the other big schools, thus giving her that opportunity 4 times over her high school career for each sport she plays. And I believe she probably has already and will play in a few more regional tournaments during her career. Many and most of the smaller schools can not compete with the big schools at that level and will not get that chance to even play in a regional for their entire high school career without the All A. Again we will have to agree to disagree.