All A tournament

The All A is a great tournament IMO. It gives the smaller schools a chance to compete in a regional and state tournament that they might not otherwise get a chance to do. The teams you mention, Brossart, Walton, NCC, while they are typically competitive year in and year out within their district and regional tournaments, many other small schools are not, and don't even make it to their regional tournament. This gives all the smaller schools an opportunity to play and compete in a regional tournament with the possibility of playing in a state tournament. How often have these three teams you mention actually won their over all regional tournament and got a chance to go to the Sweet 16 state tournament? I don't know, just asking the question.

Walton just won their region, I think the last two years. I think Brossart has had just as good of a chance as anyone in their region over the last couple years and many feel NCC is top 4 in their region this year. You can ask when the last time they won the region, but you can also ask that of several of the larger schools. There is only one region winner every year. When was the last time ND, HHS, NCC, Ryle, Conner, Dixie, Beechwood, Holmes, Holy Cross won the region? Maybe they have, but I'm just making a point that all schools are in the same boat.

So if it's fair to segment them out, shouldn't it be fair for the larger schools to NOT have to play some of those smaller schools in the regular season, in districts and regions? In the districts that seed, you are forced to play some of those small schools. Take a look at some of those scores. Brossart beat Silver Grove by 60, but is forced to play them. Shouldn't Brossart and Camp Co be able to put a better quality opponent on their schedule to make them better, rather than playing SG twice a year or whatever they play. All the regions have similar scenarios.

Now take the 36th district. They don't seed. Now you you have 3 small schools voting on the fate of 5. Newport, Dayton, Bellevue, NCC and HHS. If you take a vote on whether to seed the district or not, how do you think that vote is going to come out? Don't seed...like it's been for over 35 years. So now you have a chance that one of the best teams in the region (NCC or HHS) could be knocked out of the region by a team that will probably lose their first game by a running clock. Where's their opportunity.

I'm just saying that the argument that the All A provides an opportunity for the small schools doesn't really apply because the ones that should be getting the opportunity are still getting beat up by the ones that do have fair opportunities!

Walton won the all A and their region!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a great tournament and a great opportunity for many girls to compete on a stage that they may never get a chance to. Its all about the experience... and allowing small schools to get that experience and the kids at those schools to gain that experience, which is positive. Many of the All A schools are so small that they may have 12- 13 girls in the program total, competing against teams who have hundreds of kids to choose from. I think they should break it down even further like football does and have seperate tourneys. I'm more curious about why they do it in football and not all sports.

and the private schools should have their own tournaments! Lol

The All A is a wonderful event for the small schools. For those that don't like the idea of separating the small schools for an unsanctioned state champion, what are your thoughts on the watered down 6 classes for football? Do away with all of those and just have 1 state champ?

It is a great tournament and a great opportunity for many girls to compete on a stage that they may never get a chance to. Its all about the experience... and allowing small schools to get that experience and the kids at those schools to gain that experience, which is positive. Many of the All A schools are so small that they may have 12- 13 girls in the program total, competing against teams who have hundreds of kids to choose from. I think they should break it down even further like football does and have seperate tourneys. I'm more curious about why they do it in football and not all sports.

and the private schools should have their own tournaments! Lol

That's kinda my point. The schools that have the 12-13 kids...I assume they aren't making it to this stage anyway, right? I did go to the website and looked at the schools. There are plenty in the various regions that I've never heard of. However, it looks like the ones coming to the state are either teams that have just as good as a chance as some of the other schools in their region or come from very weak regions anyway. Just not sure how the schools that truely deserve an opportunity are really getting an opportunitiy. Heck, I'd love for my daughter to "get an opportunity" to play in the same setting, but there is a very good chance that she plays all 4 years and never gets there. Should I go start a tournament that allows her to play in a championship event? She works as hard as anyone. She "deserves" an opportunity! And if you have teams in the state that can compete year in and year out with their region, then your going to have the schools from the weak regions going to the state and getting pounded. Is that a good experience? Why, because they got to get embarrased in a big arena?

I was really just playing devil's advocate when I started, but am starting to believe myself now!

All in all, it's a good thing that they are playing games and it maybe gets a few teams a chance to compete (up until a certain point) that wouldn't have been able to compete. But I really don't get all the hype is gets. Does anyone outside of the participant school care who wins. Do others look at it as "yes, you are the best of the small schools, but what does that really mean?" Just asking for opinions. Not trying to bash. I can't believe I'm the only one that has questioned it before.

I attended the Boys and Girls finals of the All A last year and now I know why they have this tournament. Players, fans and parents clearly love the event so why not. The finals of both ends of this tournament last year were two of the best games I saw all season.

The All A is a wonderful event for the small schools. For those that don't like the idea of separating the small schools for an unsanctioned state champion, what are your thoughts on the watered down 6 classes for football? Do away with all of those and just have 1 state champ?

Nope! I agree it's watered down. It would be cool to have one state football champion though. You can ask the question in football, if you win your class, are you really a state champion or the best in your class? Don't really want to go there. I'm fine with classes.

However, in this case, they are only singling out one class. I'm saying it should be all or nothing. There are plenty of 2A schools that could say the same things. "we'd love an opportunity to have a chance to compete" "We'd love to play in a championship event against schools of our own size" The final 4 (maybe even more) of the all A are competitive in their region and will beat the teams in their all A region (that really need the opportunity) to death.

I think you've been hanging with Lawnboy too much and now you're starting to stir up trouble too! :banana:

I think of it as...I'm not afraid to ask the tough questions that many others are thinking!

Everyone is entitled to there opinions but if someone doesnt like the fact that the tourny is about ALL A schools then get together and whatever class your school is in start your own. Sounds to me that some people are jealous cause there schools arent involved. Its a totally different tourny than the sweet 16 at the end of the year and it doesnt reflect that tourny at all so what does it matter there is a tourny for ALL A schools unless your jealous about it?????

So I just got a text that NCC is beating Webster Co in the All A state. In that text, it also states that WC is 19-2 and ranked 24th in the state. You add Brossart, Walton, NCC, Frankfort, Murray, Danville, Gallatin, Owensboro Cath, Monroe Co, etc. And you are telling me these are teams that need more opportunity??? Go look at some of these teams records and who they beat on KHSAA. If you don't have much time, just look at Monroe Co. For starters, they beat Simon Kenton and a very good Southwestern team. Take a look. These teams don't need opportunities.

Everyone is entitled to there opinions but if someone doesnt like the fact that the tourny is about ALL A schools then get together and whatever class your school is in start your own. Sounds to me that some people are jealous cause there schools arent involved. Its a totally different tourny than the sweet 16 at the end of the year and it doesnt reflect that tourny at all so what does it matter there is a tourny for ALL A schools unless your jealous about it?????

Not jealous at all. Just questioning the reasoning behind it and the hype it gets. Really is no different than any other tournament. And the reasons I'm hearing really aren't very good. You can stand by the opportunities for small schools if you want, but it really looks like it's more for money and to crown a champion that has just as good as an opportunity in their region as anyone else.

I attended the Boys and Girls finals of the All A last year and now I know why they have this tournament. Players, fans and parents clearly love the event so why not. The finals of both ends of this tournament last year were two of the best games I saw all season.

And probably with 4 teams that had no problem competing in their region. I'm not saying it's not fun for the kids and parents and that's what it's all about at the end of the day. I just don't see how it's any different than a loaded christmas tournament or any other tournament.

Well unless you've been to one of these tournaments you wouldnt understand. Its a great tournament and the atmosphere is amazing and like you said RCC9 its just another tournament. I dont see how you can say its a good opportunity for the schools cause there all from different regions and your not gonna see them again in the tourny at the end of the year. So how can the ALL A be a advantage for these teams?