All A tournament

Send them to Brossart or NCC????

No kidding! It would be Brossart! Just couldn't make myself send them to NCC (sorry to all my friends, but you know that anyway) and my wife is a Brossart grad. So Brossart it is! Where do I sign???

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have no idea, but it shouldn't be graded by that. It's shouldn't be easy to win a state championships. I think we've lost track of what it should really take to win a state championship. They shouldn't be handed out like candy. They should be earned and then you are respected. If you are a state champion, then you are the best! IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there shouldn't be classes. I'm just saying one or the other in bball.

Believe me who ever wins the All A Classic State Tournament, it is earned and the teams are well respected. I believe they started the All A tournaments and will continue with the All A, to try to push for classification as in football. Not that it will happen though. I like the All A tournament in all the sports and enjoy it very much. As I said before it gives all the small schools an opportunity to play in a regional tournament and possibly a state tournament, not just the teams you mentioned like Brossart, NCC and Walton, but all of them. Good example is the Holy Cross boys team last year. They lost in the first round of their district tournament and never played in the Regional tournament. However, they won the All A State and definitely earned it and were a very well respected team. While I agree with you most of the time, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Let me ask this. I'm a little confused.

Is this a KHSAA official event?

Is it a state championship? On the All A web, it says 2013 Girls State Tournament Brackets

I do not think this is a sanctioned KHSAA event and I would assume it says state tournament since schools from all over the state participate.

No kidding! It would be Brossart! Just couldn't make myself send them to NCC (sorry to all my friends, but you know that anyway) and my wife is a Brossart grad. So Brossart it is! Where do I sign???

Of course, your daughter would have to sit out a year....

First, for anyone to say that size "doesn't matter" in sports is reall rather clueless. If you run the number you will see that the once in every ten years small school state contender is a minute percentage of the state tournament participants. I believe there is a thread on that very topic somewhere in the BGP archives. The All-A is NOT a state tournament, it is an invitational, just like your aforementioned "glorified holiday tournament." That the schools that participate in it make it so special is a credit to those schools. Yes, there are issues with the tournament in terms of some of the participants, that it has lost some of it's original intent, and that it is misperceived as the small school state championship. There are teams now annually competing for the title that 20 years ago snubbed this very tournament as not worthy of their participation. But despite it's problems, this is good for basketball in this state, it is good for basketball at small schools, and it is good for the students that participate. And no, I'm not "hiding behind" (whatever in the world that means) not getting a chance. Unless you have lived the life of a small school in a nonclassed sport, you really have no idea what you are talking about quite frankly. I played at a big school and coached at a big school and now coach at a small school and I can attest to you there IS a gigantic difference in available talent, funding, and on and on.

Look, I'm not upset, frustrated, jealous, venting or any of those. It started as a conversation piece. At the end of the day, I learned a few things about the tournament that I didn't know. However, I also learned that it has grown out of control and what once was probably an opportunity for the small schools to get exposure is now a trophy hunter's dream. It has become another way to give away a trophy to someone that could potentially win the regular state. Maybe not this year because of Marion, but it could very easily happen. Or at least have multiple regionals.

Ian hit the nail on the head! The thing that kills me is the "poor me" attitude. The "everyone gets a trophy" behavior. I cannot stand it. Let's make up things to give more awards! Yes, I am truly a believer that there are too many classes in football (for those that reference that). I thought 4 was good.

Others can say the All A is just another tournament, but the winners call themselves state champs! There's only one way to be a state champ in KY high school basketball...beat everyone. No, some may never experience that. But to my knowledge, no girls player that has EVER played in NKY has ever experienced being a bball state champ! It is what it is. One day, if/when it happens, it will be very special and it should be! We shouldn't be making up tournaments and classes in football until we can finally crown everyone a state champion somehow! It should be special!

Many of these schools are from small communities that will shut down if their team is playing in the All A. The kids, parents, and communities love it. Which IMO is what it is about. I do understand the difference of opinion from the different classes.

Believe me who ever wins the All A Classic State Tournament, it is earned and the teams are well respected. I believe they started the All A tournaments and will continue with the All A, to try to push for classification as in football. Not that it will happen though. I like the All A tournament in all the sports and enjoy it very much. As I said before it gives all the small schools an opportunity to play in a regional tournament and possibly a state tournament, not just the teams you mentioned like Brossart, NCC and Walton, but all of them. Good example is the Holy Cross boys team last year. They lost in the first round of their district tournament and never played in the Regional tournament. However, they won the All A State and definitely earned it and were a very well respected team. While I agree with you most of the time, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm good with that. But to your holy cross example, that could happen to any team. The difference is that if that team is not an A school, their season is over. Where it their other opportunity?

Of course, your daughter would have to sit out a year....

Yea, just like all the other girls that have transferred in the last 10 years. See Sydney Moss!!! I'm sure your AD could get her eligible! Her numbers would go up too in bball and softball! This isn't sounding like a bad idea!

Sorry, had to go they lawildcat!

If Im not mistaken counting all 16 regions when the regional tournament for this starts there is I believe 128 teams and then of course it goes to the sweet 16 at Frankfort, which of course was held at EKU for years. And to clarify it is or not a state championship is anyones opinion. If some kid said we won the All A state tourny I think that is a great accomplishment regardless of what other people think. A tournament is a tournament and some tournaments are just bigger than other ones.

Okay, then how are players allowed to miss school for the tournament if its not a KHSAA sanctioned event?

I can't speak for all districts but I know that my high school went twice when I was in school and both year's our district cancelled classes the day of the game. I think that is fairly common, especially considering most of the teams in the tournament are the only school in their district.

Okay, then how are players allowed to miss school for the tournament if its not a KHSAA sanctioned event?

How are kids able to miss school for other reasons? My daughter is missing school today because she is at the March for Life in D.C. Sanctioned by the school so it's ok. All A is sanctioned by the school so it's ok...