All A tournament

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was talking boys, as the discussion had drifted somewhat to the overall All "A"!

Okay boys. 2009 Calvary won the region and lost in the first round. Other than that, it's been dominated by Brossart. I'm sure you've heard the "blind squirrel" saying , right?

Great research! So your point is there are a handful of good programs that dominate most regions, and some are in the smaller 40+% of the schools playing hoops in the state?? :confused: News flash--A small percentage of programs win their region the vast majority of the time (in virtually all sports)--Some are consistent winners and they're not all large schools??

Bingo! So if we agree that it's very difficult to win the region, and the A has been dominated by teams that compete in the regular region, why did we create a segmented state tournament that has dominate teams that consistently knock out the teams that the tournament was supposedly created for??

Okay boys. 2009 Calvary won the region and lost in the first round. Other than that, it's been dominated by Brossart. I'm sure you've heard the "blind squirrel" saying , right?

Mustangs have been dominant in the 10th "A" the last 10+ years (boys) and have done well in the girls' division--Look back at the previous 20 years and you'll see the 9th & 10th were not as single school dominated (both boys & girls). Maybe some of the other schools should up their schedules and challenge themselves more as BB did in the late 90's? Took some losses early, but it's helped in the long run.

Great research! So your point is there are a handful of good programs that dominate most regions, and some are in the smaller 40+% of the schools playing hoops in the state?? :confused: News flash--A small percentage of programs win their region the vast majority of the time (in virtually all sports)--Some are consistent winners and they're not all large schools??

This was in response to madman who said I was smoking something because only a handful of the 16 could compete just as good as other teams in their own region. My point, there are MANY that will compete just fine in their region and some may even may be favored to win it!

Bingo! So if we agree that it's very difficult to win the region, and the A has been dominated by teams that compete in the regular region, why did we create a segmented state tournament that has dominate teams that consistently knock out the teams that the tournament was supposedly created for??

All "A" tourney qualifications have stayed essentially the same for 25+ years, since it grew from a local to statewide event. Its been contested by about 120-130 schools for the last 20 years if I'm not mistaken? Still think it's a pretty good achievement vs. winning a football championship from a field of 30+, many of which have 0 chance as well??

All "A" tourney qualifications have stayed essentially the same for 25+ years, since it grew from a local to statewide event. Its been contested by about 120-130 schools for the last 20 years if I'm not mistaken? Still think it's a pretty good achievement vs. winning a football championship from a field of 30+, many of which have 0 chance as well??

What in the world does football have to do with anything. And I think I showed you that it's not 150 teams you are competing against. 100 don't have a chance.

Mustangs have been dominant in the 10th "A" the last 10+ years (boys) and have done well in the girls' division--Look back at the previous 20 years and you'll see the 9th & 10th were not as single school dominated (both boys & girls). Maybe some of the other schools should up their schedules and challenge themselves more as BB did in the late 90's? Took some losses early, but it's helped in the long run.

In the 9th, 3 teams have have won the last 20-22 in the boys. In girls, 16 out of the last 22 were won by 2 different teams.

In the 10th, Brossart has completely dominated the last 11 years. Before that it was a little more spread out. The girls 10th has been dominated by 2 teams over the last 20.

If they should step up and challenge themselves,then why does Brossart need to play in the all A? You're kinda proving my point for me. Don't create a separates tournament just to allow teams to compete. Step up and compete in your region. Now for those other 100 teams that get dominated even in the all a, maybe they need their own tournament. But don't tell me this is a great tournament that provides a great opportunity for all the small schools when the region and state is dominated by a third of the teams.

Okay. Here you go

I assume you know that Brossart, NCC and Gallatin will all compete and have a good chance to win their region. That's a handful already when you are only talking about 16 teams.

Those are the easy ones, so lets move on.

Webster co. 17-2. Probably the favorite to win their region.

Monroe co. 16-3. 10-2 in their very strong region.

Murray 18-4 one of the favorites to win their region

Qwensboro catholic 13-5 10-0 in their strong region prob have one of the best players in the state.

Frankfort 13-4 5-2 in a very strong region. Maybe still the 3rd best team in their region.

Leslie co 19-6 10-2 in their region.

Danville 11-7 7-4 in a very strong region. Still 3rd or 4th best team in their region.

Magoffin co. 10-8 7-1 in their region.

Green co 13-7. 9-3 in their region.

Pineville. 14-8 10-6 in their region.

Holy cross. 12-10. 4-2 in a very strong region.

Louisville collegiate. 8-6 3-1 in their region.

West carter 8-11. 7-7 in their region.

Wow! Those teams look pretty good to me. In fact I'd venture to say only a handful WON'T be in the mix for their region. All of them have very good records inside their region except 1 and they are 7-7. Still think only a handful of the 16 have a chance. Only a handful in any region ever have a chance no matter how big your school is. Looks like whatever I'm smoking makes me pretty smart!

Nice research and thanks for the information but other than BB, NCC, GCHS, Monroe, Murray and Owensboro Cath, none of the others have a realistic chance of winning their region. So yes, that is a handful.

Nice research and thanks for the information but other than BB, NCC, GCHS, Monroe, Murray and Owensboro Cath, none of the others have a realistic chance of winning their region. So yes, that is a handful.

That's 6 of 16 more than a third of the tournament! And those are the ones that have a legit shot. There are several others that will compete just as well as most of the larger schools and will end up in the top qtr of their region.

Maybe I made a mistake by saying "chance to win" and should have said a chance to be very competitive in their region. Of course if you're in a region that has a dominant team this year, it decreases your chance to actually win the region. But I think our point is here that there are Several teams that are in the 16 that are very competitive in the real region so why play in a segmented region and state tournament? There are all kinds of other schools that don't get to play in the all A and have no chance of winning their region or even being competitive.

And you didn't include Webster and they were ranked 24th in the state by one poll.

Well I seen Webster play and if there ranked 24th Im shocked! Its like RCC9 you think its a advantage for other teams to play in the ALL A. Please tell me what the difference is playing in the All A and playing in some big tourny's during a season? In the All A you dont pick who you play but as a coach if you wanted to play in particular tournaments so you could see several teams and play some of them before districts or regionals isnt that a bit of a advantage? Like I said, If you havent been part of it you just wouldnt understand and you can go on ALLLLLLLLL day questioning and doing your research and its not gonna change.

Bottom line is the All A is a great tournament that the schools and all the kids all look forward to playing in every year. The All A regionals are very exciting, as is the All A State. If you don't believe that then you need to get out and watch some of these games.