All A tournament

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to bail out too. They sucked me back in and I let it happen!!!!

One last rant and then they all can blast me and I won't say a word.

Hypothetically, lets say the teams like NCC, Brossart, Owensboro Catholic, Holy Cross (cov), Holy Cross (louisville), Walton, Gallatin, Webster, Murry, Monroe Co., Frankfort, etc were all given an ultimatum. You can play in the All A or you can play in your regional tournament. What would these teams say if they had to choose? They would pick their regional tournament. Why, because they believe they can compete (and they can) and have a good chance of winning their region. They wouldn't give that up. They would give up the all A. Their program is solid and can compete year in and year out. The want to play with the big schools and want their program recognized. And they should because they are all very good programs!!!

Now ask that same question of Bellevue, Newport, Dayton, Ludlow, Silver Grove, Villa, Cov Latin, Calvary and on and on. I bet they skip the regional and play in the A. And I wouldn't blame them! If the teams that can compete in the regular regions weren't in the All A, these teams (which the tournament was set up for) would have a chance to win something. Could you imagine if Bellevue or Dayton made it to the top 16. The town would shut down. It would be the same all over the state! And what an experience for the kids!!! We are talking about the kids, right? Not just a few kids, right? There are WAY more kids that don't get and opportunity because of this tournament than do. Again, don't tell me "this is great for the little guys!"

The little guys get beat in thier districts and regionals by the same teams that win the all A regionals. Now they just have to play them in both!

So which is it. Do the top A teams want to compete for all the marbles or continually be successful in the A. In this hypothetical situation, this is the question you'd have to ask. I'm sure you don't want that because you'd want it both ways like it is today.

Everyone of you are correct! It's a great event. I'm sure the kids that really get to compete in it can't wait til next year. I'm sure all the fans have a blast and someone makes a lot of money. All those things are great! I have no problem with any of it. I really don't. It's sounds like a great time and a very well run event. I'm happy the local kids get to experience it and have success. I coached some of them! I'm sure there is great basketball, because there are several great A programs with a lot of very talented kids. Just don't try to convince me or several others that it's really for the little guys. Because the majority of the little guys are barely lucky enough to win one game in their A regional.

For those that say start your own, c'mon! First, do you know how easy it would be to generate interest to do that? Not actually put it on, but just get the interest. I could make 10 phone calls to 10 different 2A and 3A schools and they would all be in before we hung up. The problem is, the state would never allow it. Why, because it would jeopardize their brand of having the sweet 16 and one state championship. The state is scared to death of classes in bball. They would lose everything they have promoted for years!!!! Again, they use this as a compromise because they know the A schools have a point and it will quiet the chatter of moving to classes. And don't tell me it's just another tournament. As we've learned, they are broadcasting it on TV, every media outlet (including cincy stations) are all over it, they crown and everyone recognizes the winner as a state champion, and schools are hanging banners for region and state champs. That's not a bad thing either, but it's not just another tournament. Don't you think that if me or anyone else had the time to really sit down and create a statewide "invitational" tournament that was split by classes, that all would be on board? Now tell me what that would do the the KHSAA's State tournament. That's exactly what they don't want! And that's the whole intent of the post. Do we want classes or do we want one state champion? Because A gets both and the rest do not. Not jealous at all. If you read my posts, I believe in the one state winner. I'm sorry if you're a small school and it makes it harder on you. But the fact of the matter is, it's hard on everyone! There are schools 3 times your size that have never won either. And some have never won their region ever! So let's talk about it being for the kids. I'm talking about ALL the kids. Either deal with it the way it is or we all go to classes. That's what it's about.

Bash me! Cuss me! Talk about me! And even tell may AD and administation on me! That's funny! But I have my opinion and you have yours. And it's only an opionion, so don't let it ruin your day. I'm just one guy. They aren't going to listen to me anyway and nothing is going to change. Don't feel threatened by my opinion! If you don't like it, I'm okay with it!

I guess this means no.

RCC You have to remember that small schools do not get to reload every year. They have some good runs and some bad. I agree that Brossart and NCC will probably win the next few years but that is not for certain. Brossart almost lost to Bracken in the finals, I think it was a 3 point game with 1:12 left and bracken had the ball. Remember these ARE small schools. If you look at Saint Mary's talent right now that will feed into Brossart there are a few good players but not like has gone there over the last 3-4 years. St. Peter and Paul have a few as well but the talent pool is much smaller. believe me I see it every weekend in the grade school leagues. Their "dominate run" that you like to call it will come and go and when it is good they will do well in the all "A" and maybe have a shoot at the KHSAA region when the talent drops then they will not have a shot at either.

And by the way if Football was one class Trinity would be loaded with Championships and Highlands would have far less. This is coming from someone that has two HHS Championships and knows what it is like to win those.

Also remember You beat up on the BGH about everything since he is an administrator so since you are now a coach at a High school you will be held to a higher standard just like he is and should be. You now represent that school whether you like it or not.

No problem with anything you're saying. I agree its hard for them to reload every year. But if you look at all the A info over the last 20 years, it's the same teams (for the most part.)

As for football, you're right. In recent years, Trinity may have beat the birds. But I'm not sure how old you are, that wasn't really the case in the earlier years. Remember, the state championships go back to the 60's. And if I'm not mistaken, Jlo and Smith's team was determine the "best in state" one year. There are plenty of years (in all of HHS history) that they would have and did beat the best in the other classes. Might have been before you played and maybe even before you were born, but there were plenty of times they could have been statewide champs. And way more than anyone else, other than Trinity. In my book, that's still pretty good.

As for being an coach, I'm not saying anything that is detrimental. I speaking what many others are thinking. I'm not putting any schools down or kids. In fact, I'm sticking up for the majority of kids. I think my administration would actually support my opinions. I am a coach and I'm saying that the majority of the kids don't get to double dip in championship play. I can comletely understand how the Brossarts and NCC's of the world love and will defend this tournament to their death. But I don't hear the Bellevue, Dayton and Silver Grove folks on here saying how wonderful this tourment is. In fact, I've gotten texts from some supporting my opinions! Just because you and other elite A teams don't agree with me, doesn't mean I'm doing a disservice! I'm actually advocating for the majority!

Hypothetically, lets say the teams like NCC, Brossart, Owensboro Catholic, Holy Cross (cov), Holy Cross (louisville), Walton, Gallatin, Webster, Murry, Monroe Co., Frankfort, etc were all given an ultimatum. You can play in the All A or you can play in your regional tournament. What would these teams say if they had to choose? They would pick their regional tournament. Why, because they believe they can compete (and they can) and have a good chance of winning their region. They wouldn't give that up. They would give up the all A. Their program is solid and can compete year in and year out. The want to play with the big schools and want their program recognized. And they should because they are all very good programs!!!

Holy Cross (Cov) may be a bad example here because they will have a hard time getting out of their district with CovCath and Holmes, so they would probably choose the All A. How many of the others may be in the same situation? While some of these teams (not really sure how many) may have a shot to win their repective regions, how many, if any, have a legitimate shot at winning the state tournament? They all had a shot to win the All A state. Fortunately for these teams they do not have to make a choice, they can do both. I stand firm IMO that the All A is a great tournament and should continue as is, and even get better, if that is possible. Congrats to all those who participated in the All A regionals and state tournament.

Holy Cross (Cov) may be a bad example here because they will have a hard time getting out of their district with CovCath and Holmes, so they would probably choose the All A. How many of the others may be in the same situation> While many of these teams may have a shot to win their repective regions, how many, if any, have a legitimate shot at winning the state tournament? They all had a shot to win the All A state. Fortunately for these teams they do not have to make a choice, they can do both. I stand firm IMO that the All A is a great tournament and should continue as is, and even get better, if that is possible. Congrats to all those who participated in the All A regionals and state tournament.

I agree and you are a very good person and very knowledgable. And have intelligent reaponses. With Holy Cross, you're right. They may not get out of the district. But look at Conner, Ryle, Cooper and Boone. Two of them won't make it out! Look at HHS and NCC girls. Argueably 2 of the top 4 teams in the region this year. They draw today for their district. If they draw each other in the first round, then one of them will not be in the region. I know that's their districts choice, but my point is there are missed opportunities at all levels. There several other teams that have never had a chance, regardless of size. How can you say it's okay to give some a second chance at success and not others. In the hhs/ncc example. If they play in the first round and NCC loses, they had their chance to experience success. If HHS loses, well it's been a nice season and the A team advances! Really? Where's HHS's opportunities. The same with the girls in the conner, ryle and Boone district. One of them will not be getting out of disticts. Where is their second chance?

And the winning the state example is not a good one. To my knowledge, no 9th region girls team has won the state and i think only one has even made it to the finals. So it's okay to separate out the A (so they get a chance at success), but no other team in NKY has experienced success either? On the boys side, only two ever and 30 years apart. It's not and shouldn't be easy to experience championship play. But the elite A schools get a chance every year. 70% of the A schools across the state and all the schools in the ninth region have never had one chance at success and I'm not begging for it. I'm completely fine with it. It's what sports and life is all about. In life, people aren't going to create extra opportunities for you to succeed if you don't like the rules they have already made. They aren't going to say because you guys fall into this scenario, we're going to create a different way for you to get a promotion and that way you have multiple chances to move up the company ladder. But the majority of the workers are still going to have to play by the same rules. This sounds like polititians! America, here's how it's going to work for you, but we're not going to make any sacrifices. But, tell me who is in the majority.

I agree and you are a very good person and very knowledgable. And have intelligent reaponses. With Holy Cross, you're right. They may not get out of the district. But look at Conner, Ryle, Cooper and Boone. Two of them won't make it out! Look at HHS and NCC girls. Argueably 2 of the top 4 teams in the region this year. They draw today for their district. If they draw each other in the first round, then one of them will not be in the region. I know that's their districts choice, but my point is there are missed opportunities at all levels. There several other teams that have never had a chance, regardless of size. How can you say it's okay to give some a second chance at success and not others. In the hhs/ncc example. If they play in the first round and NCC loses, they had their chance to experience success. If HHS loses, well it's been a nice season and the A team advances! Really? Where's HHS's opportunities. The same with the girls in the conner, ryle and Boone district. One of them will not be getting out of disticts. Where is their second chance?

And the winning the state example is not a good one. To my knowledge, no 9th region girls team has won the state and i think only one has even made it to the finals. So it's okay to separate out the A (so they get a chance at success), but no other team in NKY has experienced success either? On the boys side, only two ever and 30 years apart. It's not and shouldn't be easy to experience championship play. But the elite A schools get a chance every year. 70% of the A schools across the state and all the schools in the ninth region have never had one chance at success and I'm not begging for it. I'm completely fine with it. It's what sports and life is all about. In life, people aren't going to create extra opportunities for you to succeed if you don't like the rules they have already made. They aren't going to say because you guys fall into this scenario, we're going to create a different way for you to get a promotion and that way you have multiple chances to move up the company ladder. But the majority of the workers are still going to have to play by the same rules. This sounds like polititians! America, here's how it's going to work for you, but we're not going to make any sacrifices. But, tell me who is in the majority.

Man, and I thought you were done. :idunno:

I will make this short. In your example of Conner, Ryle, Cooper and Boone, I really don't think it applies here because there are no "A" teams included. I do get your points and understand where you are coming from, but respectfully I still disagree and hope the All A tournament continues for a long, long time.

RCC:

After reading All 10 pages over the duration of this I am convinced that you not happy about the attention the all "A" takes away from the rest of the schools including HHS. Nobody is reading posts about other games and the news is reporting all "A" results. You can say what you want, but you just don't like it. You have typed thousands of words why it is wrong but in the next sentence say it is ok with you. Your opinion changes sentence by sentence. You are trying to be politically correct. Just have the guts to come out and say you think it is wrong and move on.

lets move all sports to 4 levels of play (1A,2A,3A,4A) and call it a day that way Volleyball, basketball, baseball ECT... will compete with the same size school they are just like Division 1,2,3 in college. Not about creating more winner but leveling the playing field for ALL schools as you keep saying.

RCC:

After reading All 10 pages over the duration of this I am convinced that you not happy about the attention the all "A" takes away from the rest of the schools including HHS. Nobody is reading posts about other games and the news is reporting all "A" results. You can say what you want, but you just don't like it. You have typed thousands of words why it is wrong but in the next sentence say it is ok with you. Your opinion changes sentence by sentence. You are trying to be politically correct. Just have the guts to come out and say you think it is wrong and move on.

lets move all sports to 4 levels of play (1A,2A,3A,4A) and call it a day that way Volleyball, basketball, baseball ECT... will compete with the same size school they are just like Division 1,2,3 in college. Not about creating more winner but leveling the playing field for ALL schools as you keep saying.

Makes sense. I would be okay with that. No more than 3 or 4 levels though, probably just 3 IMO. Six like in football is a little too many.

I'm sorry, but I can literally find you dozens and dozens of buzzer beaters from the regular season and the REAL state playoffs. You all think having a small school tourney guarantees that everything is a "Hoosier" moment, or it makes it more special beacuse of that. If SK drains a 3 vs Boone Co to win at the buzzer, is that also not special?

You all are, again, making RCC's point. Like BBHS wouldn't have had a moment like this at some point this year (or maybe they've even already had it)

If that was Silver Grove, Calvary, or Deming sinking that basket, then I would be completely on board. That would be a reason to celebrate this tourney. That would be a special moment that likely wouldn't happen anywhere else.

I simply said we should rest our case. If you don't see it as I do so be it. The All A has a very special significance to most of the participants. Enough already, it is not going to change nor is the Khsaa going to go to class system in basketball or Volleyball for that matter.

RCC:

I think I am showing plenty of guts taking on the world! I don't think that's an issue. As for changing sentance to sentance, you're not following me. I do agree that the "tournament" is a great event for those that are able to compete in it. There is no doubt. I know the games are very competitive and it draws a great crowd and the kids that compete have a blast and love it! That is awesome. It's a tournament of fun and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having fun.

But don't market it as a tournament for the little guys. Because it's not at all! It's a tournament for very competitive teams, not the little guy. I know it's harder for the little guy to reload, but it's not easy for any team other than the very large teams to reload. HHS barely was able to piece together a freshman team. Their freshman bball team is made up of 6th, 7th and 8th graders. No freshman. They are already down in numbers and they lose 6 seniors this year. How will they replace that? It's not easy for the majority of teams in the state to reload every year. Heck, even some of the huge schools in the area are down this year. Look at Cooper, Ryle, Dixie, Holmes and Boone. Yes, they have a better opportunity to reload faster, but it is what it is.

And if you do say it's great for the opportunities it provides, my point is the opportunities are very few and far apart for all teams and kids, regardless of class. So why separate out one class and provide opportunities for the elite teams in that class. That's it.

RCC:

I would be okay either way. The current way is fine and going to classes is fine, if it would happen at all levels. This is the point of the whole conversation. Live by the rules that are out there and I don't really care which rules are out there! Don't make exceptions for a small part of one class.

I think I am showing plenty of guts taking on the world! I don't think that's an issue. As for changing sentance to sentance, you're not following me. I do agree that the "tournament" is a great event for those that are able to compete in it. There is no doubt. I know the games are very competitive and it draws a great crowd and the kids that compete have a blast and love it! That is awesome. It's a tournament of fun and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having fun.

But don't market it as a tournament for the little guys. Because it's not at all! It's a tournament for very competitive teams, not the little guy. I know it's harder for the little guy to reload, but it's not easy for any team other than the very large teams to reload. HHS barely was able to piece together a freshman team. Their freshman bball team is made up of 6th, 7th and 8th graders. No freshman. They are already down in numbers and they lose 6 seniors this year. How will they replace that? It's not easy for the majority of teams in the state to reload every year. Heck, even some of the huge schools in the area are down this year. Look at Cooper, Ryle, Dixie, Holmes and Boone. Yes, they have a better opportunity to reload faster, but it is what it is.

And if you do say it's great for the opportunities it provides, my point is the opportunities are very few and far apart for all teams and kids, regardless of class. So why separate out one class and provide opportunities for the elite teams in that class. That's it.

You just don't get it and never will. Enough said.

Ok RCC9 you make a good point, but how can a School of 850 not be able to put together a Freshman Basketball team, also if you take away the out of district girls that play for Highlands you would not have a JV team something is wrong. All Football.

Ok RCC9 you make a good point, but how can a School of 850 not be able to put together a Freshman Basketball team, also if you take away the out of district girls that play for Highlands you would not have a JV team something is wrong. All Football.

You are absolutely correct. Highlands basketball and all other sports are step-children to football.