All A tournament

You sound like a jealous hater and that's okay since you don't think your daughter has a chance to win a championship. OC is a small A school who has just won 2 of the past 3 years. It's about the kids in small schools. Ask them if it doesn't mean anything to them. Who gives a crap what haters like you think about it. It's a great, well run tounament and means a ton to the kids and schools who play in it. If you don't like it than work harder on getting your team to the KHSAA tournament. Small schools across the state mark thier calendar every year for the All A. I agree the state could make all sports like football. I would love to see that done. But since you're talking about Highlands how many state championship would your school have if it wasn't divided up in classes. Your school is very proud of it's championships and would be on the side of the All A tournament I would think. Otherwise you wouldn't have that proud tradition. Just saying, leave it be until the powers at hand make the change...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like a jealous hater and that's okay since you don't think your daughter has a chance to win a championship. OC is a small A school who has just won 2 of the past 3 years. It's about the kids in small schools. Ask them if it doesn't mean anything to them. Who gives a crap what haters like you think about it. It's a great, well run tounament and means a ton to the kids and schools who play in it. If you don't like it than work harder on getting your team to the KHSAA tournament. Small schools across the state mark thier calendar every year for the All A. I agree the state could make all sports like football. I would love to see that done. But since you're talking about Highlands how many state championship would your school have if it wasn't divided up in classes. Your school is very proud of it's championships and would be on the side of the All A tournament I would think. Otherwise you wouldn't have that proud tradition. Just saying, leave it be until the powers at hand make the change...

Man you all make it really hard to stay away. So much to say...but I promised triple 7's I was done. Sorry!

Anyone that thinks this tournament should not happen Like RCC needs to watch this clip of the game winning shot at the buzzer to put BBHS in the final four that is on youtube (see below). Right before this video started Frankfort hit a 25 foot 3 pointer to take the lead by 1 with 11 seconds. BBHS has no time outs when they are scrambling to get the ball in bounds. Watch and learn why this tournament is special.

Bishop Brossart Lady Stangs Buzzer Beater

That's a great moment and I'm sure it's a great tournament for a few schools and fans in the state. Congrats to OC!

Walton did NOT win the ALL A Region this year.. Gallatin Co did. The Class A is a great tournament. If othes want a tournament for other size schools then have at it and stop whinning about the Class A. More opportunity is better in my opinion.

You're right. AND they obviously haven't played their 8th region tournament this year. Thought that would give you a hint that it wasn't about this year!

And you don't want me to get started either... Does your AD and Administator's know your causing this much trouble over a basketball tournanent? Let it go, it is what it is! It's all about the KIDS not Trophey's! You won't get one complaint from schools involved.

And you don't want me to get started either... Does your AD and Administator's know your causing this much trouble over a basketball tournanent? Let it go, it is what it is! It's all about the KIDS not Trophey's! You won't get one complaint from schools involved.

First of all, don't threaten me! Second, if my AD and administration wanted to suppress my opinion, it's not something I'd want to be associated with anyway. Third, I didn't realize my opinion was causing you so many problems.

You say it's for the kids. I agree. It's for a segmented group of kids. You stick up for the ones that get the extra opportunity to compete and I stick up for all the others that don't get an extra opportunity.

You say there is great excitement for this tourney. I have agreed in multiple posts. It's great for the schools, kids and families that get to advance every year. The problem is that's not very many teams and the argent that it creates excitement for all the small schools is crazy. Take a look at some of the regional scores. Look how lopsided several are some barely scored double digits. And it is common to see 30,40 and 50 point victories! Heck, one school scored 5 points. You really expect me to believe that team has this tournament circled on their calendar???

I don't follow twitter, but I got a text tonight (by the way, which is one of many that I have got that agree whole heartedly and a few by some of these small schools you're defending). Anyway, the tweet said. "Why don't the A schools choose whether they play in the A or their regular region. That's an outstanding idea. That way the tournament could really go back to being what it was intended for...to provide opportunities for schools that might not otherwise get a chance to get exposure . If you really believe its for the kids and the tournament is truly to provide opportunities for the schools that can't compete, you'd have to agree that is a great idea, right? The tournament would still be very excited and well attended. And you might even get more excitement from a larger number of teams because more than just a couple teams may actually have a chance to win it...truly making it an opportunity for the little guys!

Oh yea, and what a dumb statement about the football team. Of course the number of titles would have been reduced. But so would everyone else's!! HHS would still have several and many more than just about everyone in the state. There were many HHS championships through many years where HHS ended up number 1 overall regardless of class and was considered the number one team in KY by all media outlets. So don't act like that was a good shot, because it was really an uneducated statement. Check it out for yourself.

Another thing...it's for the kids right? And ALL the kids right? Not just some of the kids. And ALL the teams have this tournament circled right?

Lets look at the 9th region. NCC will win the A region again next year. The year after that, my money is on Holy Cross, but NCC could jump in there too.

10th region, Brossart dominates the A in this region for at least the next 3 years and probably longer.

8th region, Walton or Gallatin dominate this one for the next 3 years.

That's without any research. Now tell me for at least the next 2 years that any other school has a shot at winning their A region. Now tell me, how many schools and players does that leave with no shot? Then tell me again "this tourney is for the little guys" Again, I'm sticking up for the majority of the kids. Don't act like I'm stealing candy from babies. Realize this tournament has turned into a highlight of the good A teams that can compete on a higher level and not for a the others that everyone claims it's for!

Choose what one you want to play in and all is fair.

Man you all make it really hard to stay away. So much to say...but I promised triple 7's I was done. Sorry!

RCC9, they must not have seen your surrender flag. :idunno: Don't let me keep you from round 2 if you so please. You know you didn't really want to work today anyway...:lol: I'll probably stay out though, I've learned there is no changing your mind. Maybe those folks can take a swing at it.....RCC9 against the ALL A world.

It's about the kids in small schools....

Actually, as the last 10 pages have pinted out, it's about the kids in SOME small schools.

Small schools across the state mark thier calendar every year for the All A.

So the rest of the season means nothing? The REAL state playoffs take a backseat to an in-season tournament?

leave it be until the powers at hand make the change

The "powers" at hand got us into this mess. If there's this much interest in a statewide tourney for a certain class, then what the public is saying is we want classes in basketball. Why don't we have them?

Another thing...it's for the kids right? And ALL the kids right? Not just some of the kids. And ALL the teams have this tournament circled right?

Lets look at the 9th region. NCC will win the A region again next year. The year after that, my money is on Holy Cross, but NCC could jump in there too.

10th region, Brossart dominates the A in this region for at least the next 3 years and probably longer.

8th region, Walton or Gallatin dominate this one for the next 3 years.

That's without any research. Now tell me for at least the next 2 years that any other school has a shot at winning their A region. Now tell me, how many schools and players does that leave with no shot? Then tell me again "this tourney is for the little guys" Again, I'm sticking up for the majority of the kids. Don't act like I'm stealing candy from babies. Realize this tournament has turned into a highlight of the good A teams that can compete on a higher level and not for a the others that everyone claims it's for!

Choose what one you want to play in and all is fair.

RCC You have to remember that small schools do not get to reload every year. They have some good runs and some bad. I agree that Brossart and NCC will probably win the next few years but that is not for certain. Brossart almost lost to Bracken in the finals, I think it was a 3 point game with 1:12 left and bracken had the ball. Remember these ARE small schools. If you look at Saint Mary's talent right now that will feed into Brossart there are a few good players but not like has gone there over the last 3-4 years. St. Peter and Paul have a few as well but the talent pool is much smaller. believe me I see it every weekend in the grade school leagues. Their "dominate run" that you like to call it will come and go and when it is good they will do well in the all "A" and maybe have a shoot at the KHSAA region when the talent drops then they will not have a shot at either.

And by the way if Football was one class Trinity would be loaded with Championships and Highlands would have far less. This is coming from someone that has two HHS Championships and knows what it is like to win those.

Also remember You beat up on the BGH about everything since he is an administrator so since you are now a coach at a High school you will be held to a higher standard just like he is and should be. You now represent that school whether you like it or not.

Watch and learn why this tournament is special.

We all rest our case! Beautiful clip.

I'm sorry, but I can literally find you dozens and dozens of buzzer beaters from the regular season and the REAL state playoffs. You all think having a small school tourney guarantees that everything is a "Hoosier" moment, or it makes it more special beacuse of that. If SK drains a 3 vs Boone Co to win at the buzzer, is that also not special?

You all are, again, making RCC's point. Like BBHS wouldn't have had a moment like this at some point this year (or maybe they've even already had it)

If that was Silver Grove, Calvary, or Deming sinking that basket, then I would be completely on board. That would be a reason to celebrate this tourney. That would be a special moment that likely wouldn't happen anywhere else.

RCC9, they must not have seen your surrender flag. :idunno: Don't let me keep you from round 2 if you so please. You know you didn't really want to work today anyway...:lol: I'll probably stay out though, I've learned there is no changing your mind. Maybe those folks can take a swing at it.....RCC9 against the ALL A world.

I'm going to bail out too. They sucked me back in and I let it happen!!!!

One last rant and then they all can blast me and I won't say a word.

Hypothetically, lets say the teams like NCC, Brossart, Owensboro Catholic, Holy Cross (cov), Holy Cross (louisville), Walton, Gallatin, Webster, Murry, Monroe Co., Frankfort, etc were all given an ultimatum. You can play in the All A or you can play in your regional tournament. What would these teams say if they had to choose? They would pick their regional tournament. Why, because they believe they can compete (and they can) and have a good chance of winning their region. They wouldn't give that up. They would give up the all A. Their program is solid and can compete year in and year out. The want to play with the big schools and want their program recognized. And they should because they are all very good programs!!!

Now ask that same question of Bellevue, Newport, Dayton, Ludlow, Silver Grove, Villa, Cov Latin, Calvary and on and on. I bet they skip the regional and play in the A. And I wouldn't blame them! If the teams that can compete in the regular regions weren't in the All A, these teams (which the tournament was set up for) would have a chance to win something. Could you imagine if Bellevue or Dayton made it to the top 16. The town would shut down. It would be the same all over the state! And what an experience for the kids!!! We are talking about the kids, right? Not just a few kids, right? There are WAY more kids that don't get and opportunity because of this tournament than do. Again, don't tell me "this is great for the little guys!"

The little guys get beat in thier districts and regionals by the same teams that win the all A regionals. Now they just have to play them in both!

So which is it. Do the top A teams want to compete for all the marbles or continually be successful in the A. In this hypothetical situation, this is the question you'd have to ask. I'm sure you don't want that because you'd want it both ways like it is today.

Everyone of you are correct! It's a great event. I'm sure the kids that really get to compete in it can't wait til next year. I'm sure all the fans have a blast and someone makes a lot of money. All those things are great! I have no problem with any of it. I really don't. It's sounds like a great time and a very well run event. I'm happy the local kids get to experience it and have success. I coached some of them! I'm sure there is great basketball, because there are several great A programs with a lot of very talented kids. Just don't try to convince me or several others that it's really for the little guys. Because the majority of the little guys are barely lucky enough to win one game in their A regional.

For those that say start your own, c'mon! First, do you know how easy it would be to generate interest to do that? Not actually put it on, but just get the interest. I could make 10 phone calls to 10 different 2A and 3A schools and they would all be in before we hung up. The problem is, the state would never allow it. Why, because it would jeopardize their brand of having the sweet 16 and one state championship. The state is scared to death of classes in bball. They would lose everything they have promoted for years!!!! Again, they use this as a compromise because they know the A schools have a point and it will quiet the chatter of moving to classes. And don't tell me it's just another tournament. As we've learned, they are broadcasting it on TV, every media outlet (including cincy stations) are all over it, they crown and everyone recognizes the winner as a state champion, and schools are hanging banners for region and state champs. That's not a bad thing either, but it's not just another tournament. Don't you think that if me or anyone else had the time to really sit down and create a statewide "invitational" tournament that was split by classes, that all would be on board? Now tell me what that would do the the KHSAA's State tournament. That's exactly what they don't want! And that's the whole intent of the post. Do we want classes or do we want one state champion? Because A gets both and the rest do not. Not jealous at all. If you read my posts, I believe in the one state winner. I'm sorry if you're a small school and it makes it harder on you. But the fact of the matter is, it's hard on everyone! There are schools 3 times your size that have never won either. And some have never won their region ever! So let's talk about it being for the kids. I'm talking about ALL the kids. Either deal with it the way it is or we all go to classes. That's what it's about.

Bash me! Cuss me! Talk about me! And even tell may AD and administation on me! That's funny! But I have my opinion and you have yours. And it's only an opionion, so don't let it ruin your day. I'm just one guy. They aren't going to listen to me anyway and nothing is going to change. Don't feel threatened by my opinion! If you don't like it, I'm okay with it!