Covington Catholic 50 Newport Central Catholic 48

My man HSSRB and I were remembering another CCH/NC barnburner from Lewin's junior or senior year. Seems like it's always a tough , tough game especially at NC.

It will be that way for a few years to come as well.

I may have to lead the Pangallo bandwagon. Him, Drew, and Weyer are going to be hard to handle in upcoming years. CCH will be deep as well. Always fun.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holmes, Cooper, NewCath, and CovCath (assuming they make it) can all win the Ninth region tourney...This game doesn't change anything.

Except bragging rights.

Holmes is the clear cut favorite IMO but need to see how NCC handles them. They have had success vs Holmes in years past during the regular season.

This was the first time I got to see NCC play this season.

I was very impressed with Pangallo and McDonald. I'm a big fan of both and even though I thought Pangallo should have been playing more last season I am happy to see him have a big game last night. From what I have read and heard, it seems as though he is putting together a solid season for the Breds. I really think the sky is the limit for him at NCC. He made a lot of very good decisions with the ball in his hand and made some nice shots. Now, about those shorts being on backwards..... I'm sure he gets that from his dad!

I see where McDonald finished with 21 points. I would love to know how many came in the second half. NCC scored 25 points in the 2nd half and I bet he had 16 - 18 himself. I'm surprised NCC didn't continue to get the ball in to him more down the stretch. There were times he was begging for the ball late in the game on the low block and it wasn't dumped into him. He's got a very solid game and is pretty much money from the line.

Can I ask a question somewhat unrelated to this game? In the article in today's Enquirer, the NCC coach says "we might have been a man down but give CCH credit". I read a basketball preview earlier this year where a coach said he'd take 50% of the blame for last season. Really?!! Who gets the other 50%? It just seems like bball coaches are always on the defensive or have to throw in that "but". Obviously, the injury was a big factor but why put it in print, especially in high school. Not a huge fan of UK but it's why I do love their coach. The heck with excuses.

Admittedly, basketball is not my thing. I played football and basketball. I just can't see a Lynn Ray, Mueller, Maxwell or Krumpelbeck saying those things in the paper. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Just an observation.

This was the first time I got to see NCC play this season.

I was very impressed with Pangallo and McDonald. I'm a big fan of both and even though I thought Pangallo should have been playing more last season I am happy to see him have a big game last night. From what I have read and heard, it seems as though he is putting together a solid season for the Breds. I really think the sky is the limit for him at NCC. He made a lot of very good decisions with the ball in his hand and made some nice shots. Now, about those shorts being on backwards..... I'm sure he gets that from his dad!

I see where McDonald finished with 21 points. I would love to know how many came in the second half. NCC scored 25 points in the 2nd half and I bet he had 16 - 18 himself. I'm surprised NCC didn't continue to get the ball in to him more down the stretch. There were times he was begging for the ball late in the game on the low block and it wasn't dumped into him. He's got a very solid game and is pretty much money from the line.

Good question on touches for Drew. I'm getting ready to watch the game online. I'll check on that.

Can I ask a question somewhat unrelated to this game? In the article in today's Enquirer, the NCC coach says "we might have been a man down but give CCH credit". I read a basketball preview earlier this year where a coach said he'd take 50% of the blame for last season. Really?!! Who gets the other 50%? It just seems like bball coaches are always on the defensive or have to throw in that "but". Obviously, the injury was a big factor but why put it in print, especially in high school. Not a huge fan of UK but it's why I do love their coach. The heck with excuses.

Admittedly, basketball is not my thing. I played football and basketball. I just can't see a Lynn Ray, Mueller, Maxwell or Krumpelbeck saying those things in the paper. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Just an observation.

Agree overall. It's a coach's job to develop the bench for just these types of situations. Losing Seibert is a hit and Grant would have been correct in pointing that out. However, that's why you have 10 players.

Randy, you're not from the area so I "might" see your point.

However, anyone from NKY who has watched these teams play shouldn't be surprised. They're very close in overall talent and execution.

IMO the only surprise tonight would have been if one blew out the other.

I get the history/rivalry side of it, but I don't see CCH on the same talent level as NCC. That is why I was with RP thinking this was a big win for CCH. I am going to have to get out and see CCH again because I am obviously missing something.

Good question on touches for Drew. I'm getting ready to watch the game online. I'll check on that.

I'm taking a break from video to say two things:

1. I love that Walter and Damien provide video. It's good to go back and watch games.

2. With that, neither of them has a clue how to officiate a game.

Execution vs. talent. I am impressed with CCH's execution and basketball IQ. I have not been as impressed with the "athletic talent". And yes, it looks like I need to re-evaluate.

Are we talking "athletic" as in jumping up and dunking?

They are a talented team by 9th region standards and are even with NCC.