Covington Catholic 50 Newport Central Catholic 48

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very proud of our kids as playing Holmes and NCC back to back (Tues/Thursday) is tough to do and coming back to beat NCC after the loss to Holmes made me very proud of them.

If you think if was hot on the floor or in the stands, you should have been up where our stats crew and NKysports.com were. It was almost unbearably hot!.

It was a "sweatbox" tonight on the "hill". A packed house plus saw a damn good game, although it wasn't the prettiest. Congrats to CovCath, they hung tough till the very end. Both teams turned the ball over quite a bit tonight and not many can be blamed on the floor conditions. Schuh for Covcath played a solid game, Tobler did as well.

Drew McDonald, just another day at the office. Great game out of Zac Pangallo on both ends of the floor, and a solid job from Jake Schulte. The lack of offense from Bueter and Seibert really hurt, however Seibert went down late in the 3rd and never returned (left on crutches) and don't think Bueter took that many shots. The bench players, Devoto and Dupont, played many minutes tonight and did a fine job. I like the play of Devoto, the kid hustles his butt off. I just wish Dupont would take the shot when he has it instead of passing, he had a few open looks and drives to the basket and then would pass, non of which resulted in points. The kid can shoot the rock, he has a pretty stroke. I noticed once or twice after he passed up a shot, it looked like coach Pangallo was saying to him, "shoot the ball".

Breds let this one slip away tonight, and Congrats to CovCath for not giving up.

NCC scoring

11 Pangallo 12

12 Bueter 04

33 Schulte 11

34 McDonald 21

CovCath scoring

3 Fredrick 05

11 Schuh 12

15 Pauley 10

22 Ruthsatz 12

34 Tobler 08

42 Schult 03

NCC shooting

17/32 53.1% - 0/11 0.00% - 14/20 70%

CovCath shooting

13/38 34.2% - 4/14 28.6% - 12/17 70.6%

LawnBoy 13 thanks for your help, tonight....I hope you know what I am talking about.

Strange but true: 1st time I have ever had a varsity stripe come up to me and ask if I were Theoldguy (note it was prior to the JV game)!

Sir, thank you for your hard work and thank you for your kind words about me.

Two awesome moments tonight before tip-off.

1st. NewCath principal Carl Foster took to the mic before the national anthem and honored Mr. Jack Kaelin for his 50 years of teaching at CovCath. Standing ovation from the entire house.

2nd. The PA announcer said since we had a full house we all were going to sing the National Anthem together, and so we did.

LawnBoy 13 thanks for your help, tonight....I hope you know what I am talking about.

Strange but true: 1st time I have ever had a varsity stripe come up to me and ask if I were Theoldguy (note it was prior to the JV game)!

Sir, thank you for your hard work and thank you for your kind words about me.

:thumb:

NCC scoring

11 Pangallo 12

12 Bueter 04

33 Schulte 11

34 McDonald 21

CovCath scoring

3 Fredrick 05

11 Schuh 12

15 Pauley 10

22 Ruthsatz 12

34 Tobler 08

42 Schult 03

NCC shooting

17/32 53.1% - 0/11 0.00% - 14/20 70%

CovCath shooting

13/38 34.2% - 4/14 28.6% - 12/17 70.6%

2 of these points go to Seibert, he hit 2 free throws just before the ankle injury.

The 2nd bolded.........the dagger.

Really enjoyed watching the game. Sat next to some Holmes players and listening to them talk about the game as it unfolded was a real treat. They were genuinely into it and pulling for certain players from both teams. In the end they were happy with the CovCath win because it guaranteed a #1 ranking up here for them.