Are coyotes killing the turkeys in Ky

rememberthetitans

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that when it's wet, turkeys are easier prey for coyotes. Wet birds stink. So if that premise is true, then a wet year could lead to more predation. My guess is that with all the acorns on the ground this year, the deer and turkeys both are where ever the mast is. And like 2 years ago, that is nearly anywhere. Couldn't pattern a deer for anything because they weren't on a feeding pattern because everywhere you turn there is mast. I'm sure that coyotes have an impact on turkeys. Where we hunt, I've killed 4 coyotes and I can't tell a difference in turkey population. I'm sure that could vary quite a bit from area to area however.

I have no idea about if they are killing turkeys or not but does anyone know if the State is doing any population tracking on Coyotes? I live in Cold Spring/Highland Heights/Silver Grove area and I've seen a couple around my house and a couple at my parents house in Cold Spring. Growing up in Cold Spring I never saw one and now I'm seeing and hearing about them all the time. There is a large flock of Turkeys in the woods by my house which survived all summer even with Coyotes around but I haven't seen them for a couple of weeks.

I've heard a couple of hunters refer to calling that way but I have zero clue what it is... Can you explain a little?
What I think he's talking about is sucking on your hand or arm. Mimics a rabbit in distress if you do it right. I tried it a couple of weeks ago but mine must of sounded like "get the hell out of here" to the coyote. He stopped for a second then was out.

I have no idea about if they are killing turkeys or not but does anyone know if the State is doing any population tracking on Coyotes? I live in Cold Spring/Highland Heights/Silver Grove area and I've seen a couple around my house and a couple at my parents house in Cold Spring. Growing up in Cold Spring I never saw one and now I'm seeing and hearing about them all the time. There is a large flock of Turkeys in the woods by my house which survived all summer even with Coyotes around but I haven't seen them for a couple of weeks.

I don't think there is much of tracking system in place if any. Too dang many of them. The problem is in KY the only real predator they have is humans.

What I think he's talking about is sucking on your hand or arm. Mimics a rabbit in distress if you do it right. I tried it a couple of weeks ago but mine must of sounded like "get the hell out of here" to the coyote. He stopped for a second then was out.

Yep, I just do a really tight kissing/high pitch sound. Sounds like a rodent and they perk right up to it. Then they eat lead. It's a beautiful thing.

Bout 10 years ago, I was deer hunting a ridge top during the late muzzleloader season and watched a coyote run up the draw and stop about 25 yards from me. While he was standing there, some turkeys were yelping off to my right. He immediately turned and started trotting in a straight line for the turkeys. Unfortunately for the coyote, I was in beteween him and the turkeys and he stopped when he heard me pull the hammer back the old percussion Hawken 50 cal. Shot him low, behind front shoulder, just like a deer. He runs about 30 yards, howls, then expires.... Of subject, but several deer have stopped and fell victim to the cocking sound of the old Hawken.

Coyotes may eat an occasional turkey, but, no harm to the turkey population here. We have way too many turkeys.

Edited by spindoc

Nope. I killed 2 the same day in turkey season. 2 females. Called them both in with the "kiss of death". Waxed em both at about 15 and 20 yards.

What did you shoot the coyotes with? If it was turkey season I assume you had a shotgun with birdshot. Can't see birdshot killing a coyote or did you have a side arm?