Compromise Reached

sticku

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two proposals set rules for designating which middle or "feeder school" a student would be required to attend, beginning at sixth grade, to enroll in a particular high school. The aim of the feeder schools is to eliminate opportunities for high schools to recruit students specifically for sports and students who cross state boundaries to attend a school.

"That means that parents must make decisions at an earlier age," said Wilson Sears, superintendent of Somerset Independent Schools and drafter of the proposal in its original form. "This is the only way that we feel we can make it fair."

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060111/NEWS02/601110387/1014

No chance the "2 year" proposal passes. Private schools will NEVER agree to it.

I would not think any passes. Example. Child goes to private middle school. Does not play sports. Child once in 9th grade goes to public high school because it is convenient and close to where he/she lives. The child decides to go out for the cross country team. Whoops... You are banned for two years because you went to a private school. Doesn't quite seem like equal opportunity for a child...

If I lived in Frankfort and my kids attended the Catholic grade school in Frankfort (there is only one), what high school would it feed to? If it is Lexington Catholic who is going to subsidize me for the gas I would have to buy to make the 40 minute trip one way(at best, Lexington traffic is a nightmare). Lets see, that is 2hrs 40 minutes a day at best (morning and afternoon trip). This would not include a possible 3rd trip to Lexington for extracurricular activities such as sports.

I am not willing to sacrifice 8 grades of Catholic Education becuase it has served two generations of my family very well. We all then went on to the Public High Schools in Franklin County. If we continue with this formula does this mean that my kids will have to sit out two years of high school sports?

If the answer is yes, how can this be in the best interests of families and their children?

"They have finally reached a compromise with the Private schools. From now on Private schools have their Catholic feeder middle schools only that they can bring in kids from. Kids have to attend 7th and 8th grades at these Catholic feeder middle schools to be eligible at the Private school. If a kid comes to the Private school without attending the feeder program then he/she will be ineligible for all athletic activities (Varsity, JV, or Freshman) for two years.

Only exception is 1A private schools. They will have a 20 mile radius to get kids from. Only exception is 1A private schools. They will have a 20 mile radius to get kids from."

That comes from inside the room!

It sounded like a pretty good compromise until you said their was an exception and that exception won't stop a couple of the smaller private Class A schools from doing what they have always done. You guys known what I mean. That word we aren't allowed to use. ;):D

The first two proposals set rules for designating which middle or "feeder school" a student would be required to attend, beginning at sixth grade, to enroll in a particular high school. The aim of the feeder schools is to eliminate opportunities for high schools to recruit students specifically for sports and students who cross state boundaries to attend a school.

"That means that parents must make decisions at an earlier age," said Wilson Sears, superintendent of Somerset Independent Schools and drafter of the proposal in its original form. "This is the only way that we feel we can make it fair."

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060111/NEWS02/601110387/1014

This whole thing flies in the face of what the KHSAA allegedly stands for. The choice of where you send your child according to the KHSAA athletics should never be the primary or even secondary reason for attendance.

It sounded like a pretty good compromise until you said their was an exception and that exception won't stop a couple of the smaller private Class A schools from doing what they have always done. You guys known what I mean. That word we aren't allowed to use. ;):D

I am curious about the other class A private schools that have earned your ire.

The students from our parish school attend high school at Trinity, St X, Assumption, Sacred Heart, Mercy, Presentation, Ballard, Manual, Male and Eastern (that I know of, there may be more). Under this proposal, does that mean they would need to attend Trinity or Sacred Heart if they wish to play sports? That is nuts!!!

My first point is I think this is rediculous and doesn't make anything better. Schools don't have rights to students.

My second point is a question. What about my alma mater, Manual who has no offical feeder school?

Third point would be if this were inacted, they should make a provision that allows a student to declare that he/she will attend a school outside there feeder two years prior to recieve no penalty, if they declare one year early than they would have a one year penalty. That way if a student intends to attend a certian school from the get-go they can avoid punishment for thier geography living situation.

Welcome to Red China.

So I have a 7th grade golfer that shoots in the 80's for 18 holes. I am not allowed to let her play golf. I had 4 HSers on my golf team this year. That is all that wanted to play. You have 5 in a match and get to count only 4 scores.

In a word, tough. It would eliminate the problem that you have spoken of ad nauseum about MS students playing varsity sports for one school and then enrolling and playing for another school as freshmen.

It is High School sports not middle school. If there is not enough interest in your school to field a full team then don't field one.

And before you say it, my reply is no more heartless then the ones that have said if the financial status of a student's family changes so that they can not continue in a private school after their 8th grade year they must sit out 2 years because after all, high school athletics is a privelege, not a right.