Compromise Reached

sticku

Not that many kids leave a school for that reason. If the rules in place for the few that do, then this should be a non-issue already.

So, now we're punishing thousands of kids for the actions of a few.

I think in NKY at least, it is a bigger problem than you might think. Lot of moving around of players, at least on the girls side, in NKY.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And, there are rules in place, which if enforced address that situation. Correct?

No.

Heard this week that some players are looking for a different school in NKY because their mothers and the head coach don't get along. That is after they have left one program in which they were playing at the varsity level as MSers.

No.

Heard this week that some players are looking for a different school in NKY because their mothers and the head coach don't get along. That is after they have left one program in which they were playing at the varsity level as MSers.

And if they transfer, they'd have to sit out a year, correct? That is the rule. Enforce it.

And if they transfer, they'd have to sit out a year, correct? That is the rule. Enforce it.

Not the first time they made the move they did not. Between there 8th grade and freshmen year. No athletic eligibility is established before your freshmen year.

If they make some sort of residence change, than it is legal. The move would have nothing to do with academics and all with athletics. Especially since they would be leaving a fine academic private school to attend one of those poor public schools. :p

Another thing...don't allow middle-schoolers to play varsity. Allow only enrolled students to play sports at any level for a school.

So I have a 7th grade golfer that shoots in the 80's for 18 holes. I am not allowed to let her play golf. I had 4 HSers on my golf team this year. That is all that wanted to play. You have 5 in a match and get to count only 4 scores.

Not the first time they made the move they did not. Between there 8th grade and freshmen year. No athletic eligibility is established before your freshmen year.

If they make some sort of residence change, than it is legal. The move would have nothing to do with academics and all with athletics. Especially since they would be leaving a fine academic private school to attend one of those poor public schools. :p

Change the rule allowing 8th graders to play sports at any level for a high school. Make the rule such that one must be actually enrolled in a school before being allowed to play sports for that school.

Apparently, the Mike Mitchell case shows that a residence change is not the only criteria involved. It must be a "bona fide" address change.

So I have a 7th grade golfer that shoots in the 80's for 18 holes. I am not allowed to let her play golf. I had 4 HSers on my golf team this year. That is all that wanted to play. You have 5 in a match and get to count only 4 scores.

Sorry...but that's the way it should be. A kid should not compete for a high school if they're not enrolled there. That seems like a no-brainer to me. I'm sorry if it means there may not always be enough kids for some sports, but I don't see why this should be allowed.

What if an 8th grader wanted to play for Trinity or X? There'd be holy heck and more to pay for that.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Change the rule allowing 8th graders to play sports at any level for a high school. Make the rule such that one must be actually enrolled in a school before being allowed to play sports for that school.

Apparently, the Mike Mitchell case shows that a residence change is not the only criteria involved. It must be a "bona fide" address change.

Defining "bona fide" is interesting.

Let's say they rent an apartment in town A and now are renting an apartment in Town B. Sounds "bona fide" to me.

Defining "bona fide" is interesting.

Let's say they rent an apartment in town A and now are renting an apartment in Town B. Sounds "bona fide" to me.

Apparently, it can be "un-bona-fided" if necessary. Ask the Mitchell's.

I keep saying there is no equitable compromise. School districts are set up the way they are not for athletic purposes but for the needs of the individual district and it's financial survival. Private schools, urban public, rural public and independent districts all have different needs and are depended upon to educate their particular populace. Maybe the solution would be to remove sports from schools and form various AAU type teams. We could divided it into divisions like:

A: Teams with kids who just like to play ball. These teams will not have restrictions on how many sports an athlete plays and in fact will be encouraged to play as many sports as possible. Off season conditioning may not encroach on another sports season.

AA: Teams for kids whose fathers are sure they are D-1 prospects. Off season training will be mandatory 365 days per year.

AAA: For real D-1 prospects.

AAAA: This will be the open class. Same as AAA, but kids will be allowed, even encouraged, to move from team to team until they find a coach willing to start and play them at whatever position they desire or until they form a team that will beat the crap out of all others. Competitive games will be frowned upon.

Sorry...but that's the way it should be. A kid should not compete for a high school if they're not enrolled there. That seems like a no-brainer to me. I'm sorry if it means there may not always be enough kids for some sports, but I don't see why this should be allowed.

What if an 8th grader wanted to play for Trinity or X? There'd be holy heck and more to pay for that.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And back to the rural/urban situation you mentioned earlier. For a good number of rural counties. There is one MS choice in the county and one HS choice in the county. They are going to play at the HS from the MS, unless they move out of the county or drive out of the county for school.

My second point is a question. What about my alma mater, Manual who has no offical feeder school?

LOL!!!!!!! This is too funny. I believe "open enrollment" schools will have their feeder schools defined by the BOC of the KHSAA. Enjoy that one folks! Be careful what you ask for...

Also, it looks like Male could be seriously hurt. They will be limited to what, 1 or 2 schools now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I keep saying there is no equitable compromise. School districts are set up the way they are not for athletic purposes but for the needs of the individual district and it's financial survival. Private schools, urban public, rural public and independent districts all have different needs and are depended upon to educate their particular populace. Maybe the solution would be to remove sports from schools and form various AAU type teams. We could divided it into divisions like:

A: Teams with kids who just like to play ball. These teams will not have restrictions on how many sports an athlete plays and in fact will be encouraged to play as many sports as possible. Off season conditioning may not encroach on another sports season.

AA: Teams for kids whose fathers are sure they are D-1 prospects. Off season training will be mandatory 365 days per year.

AAA: For real D-1 prospects.

AAAA: This will be the open class. Same as AAA, but kids will be allowed, even encouraged, to move from team to team until they find a coach willing to start and play them at whatever position they desire or until they form a team that will beat the crap out of all others. Competitive games will be frowned upon.

100% agreement on the bolded part.

AA cracks me up. Don't blame it all on dads though. Moms can be nuts too.