Compromise Reached

sticku

So, do you think that for football, if they go to a CC private Catholic middle school, NCC will be the ONLY choice. If so, NCC has to be loving this. They may get some kids that would have ended up at CovCath or Highlands.

Well there aren't any middle schools technically. They are all grade schools thru Grade 8.

But to answer your question, if they are going to go to Highlands some (not all) leave the Catholic grade school earlier than 8th grade anyway and usually when they will enter middle school in the public school system. If anything, the Catholic grade schools will lose more students earlier in that those who were planning to stay to grade 8 now will leave earlier.

If they are planning on going to go to CovCath or ND that's where the tricky definition of feeder parish comes in. Since they are the only single-sex choice and you don't pay out of district tuition to attend......who knows???

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the compromise rule is. I agree that the spirit of the KHSAA and the spirit of the private schools will come into conflict.

Hold on a minute. There is a slur there that I can not allow to go unchallenged. The spirit of the KHSAA is to develop student athletes to their full potential usng sports as one mechanism. There is nothing that the private schools do that is in conflict with that. A constant thread that runs through many of your comments is that the private schools do more than some other schools or communities are willing to do and that somehow that is unfair. I reject that premise. It is not my problem if your school system or community won't take the steps to fix its problems. I refuse to accept that out of fairness, my school should break its system until it has the same problems that yours has. Get it through your head. We are, as a whole, not breaking the letter or the spirit of the rules. In the rare case when a rule is broken, (i.e. the recent LexCath case) punishment should be swift and severe.

Hold on a minute. There is a slur there that I can not allow to go unchallenged. The spirit of the KHSAA is to develop student athletes to their full potential usng sports as one mechanism. There is nothing that the private schools do that is in conflict with that. A constant thread that runs through many of your comments is that the private schools do more than some other schools or communities are willing to do and that somehow that is unfair. I reject that premise. It is not my problem if your school system or community won't take the steps to fix its problems. I refuse to accept that out of fairness, my school should break its system until it has the same problems that yours has. Get it through your head. We are, as a whole, not breaking the letter or the spirit of the rules. In the rare case when a rule is broken, (i.e. the recent LexCath case) punishment should be swift and severe.

If there was a slur, it was unintended and started as a kidding post between RM and me.

I do not say it is "unfair." I say it is an advantage that the private schools have that a huge number of public schools cannot duplicate. That is the fault of the public schools and out of the control of the public schools. The private schools parents VALUE education and place it as a HUGE ROLE in their child's life. That DOES NOT happen in a lot of the public school systems.

I have admitted, simply, that the public schools CANNOT compete on the same level as the private schools. Public schools CANNOT in general on a year in and year out basis GET to where you are. It is as much as a deficiency in the public schools as a plus in the private schools.

When a family income is $15,000 per year, how can I convince them that they need to spend $500 per year for their child to play spring league basketball, attend summer camps, etc, etc.

We are simply two different beasts. BOTH are VITAL to our society.

So, if a kid attends public school, but is Catholic and plays for football for his parish team, he'd still have to go to the public feeder school if he wants to play football as a freshman or sophomore, right?

So, next question.....This essentially forces parents to make their child's educational plans right from grade school, even for open enrollment districts. This of course will be most difficult, as children change and develop different interests as time goes on.

So, if a kid attends public school, but is Catholic and plays for football for his parish team, he'd still have to go to the public feeder school if he wants to play football as a freshman or sophomore, right?

So, next question.....This essentially forces parents to make their child's educational plans right from grade school, even for open enrollment districts. This of course will be most difficult, as children change and develop different interests as time goes on.

I think that you are right. I don't like what I am hearing. Why don't they just leave families alone to make their own educational choices.

Barf - Puke -Barf....... Makes me sick. What a great way to punnish kids. Let's go ahead and take away the playstation 2 and ipods while we're at it. As Dean Vermer would say... "No more fun of any kind!" Double secret probation for sure!!!

NEW BUMPER STICKER: My Honor Roll Student Can't Play Sports Because of Idiots. Next post I'll share what I really feel 8- )

I also see this as a concern. In many cases the decision as to which high school a child goes to is not made until well into their 8th grade year. What we are doing with this compromise is limiting those options or as you stated making those decisions much sooner.

What then happens to an 8th grade student/ahtlete at a catholic grade school if their parents' financial situation changes and they can no longer afford tuition at the Private School they had planned on attending. They then would go to the public school that their parents have been funding through taxes and are not allowed to compete in athletics for 2 years.

I will be happy that a compromise is reached but it will be hard to convince me that these decisions have been made in the best interest of the kids.

I also see this as a concern. In many cases the decision as to which high school a child goes to is not made until well into their 8th grade year. What we are doing with this compromise is limiting those options or as you stated making those decisions much sooner.

What then happens to an 8th grade student/ahtlete at a catholic grade school if their parents' financial situation changes and they can no longer afford tuition at the Private School they had planned on attending. They then would go to the public school that their parents have been funding through taxes and are not allowed to compete in athletics for 2 years.

I will be happy that a compromise is reached but it will be hard to convince me that these decisions have been made in the best interest of the kids.

And on the flip side, many parents choose public schools for at least the grade school years so they can have the opportunity to save for private high school. This pretty much says, if you can't afford it at Kindergarten, then forget it, if you want your son/daughter to play sports.

This really only is a compromise on the part of the private schools, and the open enrollment schools. Those schools with strict district boundaries will remain unaffected, and unchanged.

So...it's essentially an Urban/Rural issue at this point, IMO.

And on the flip side, many parents choose public schools for at least the grade school years so they can have the opportunity to save for private high school. This pretty much says, if you can't afford it at Kindergarten, then forget it, if you want your son/daughter to play sports.

This really only is a compromise on the part of the private schools, and the open enrollment schools. Those schools with strict district boundaries will remain unaffected, and unchanged.

So...it's essentially an Urban/Rural issue at this point, IMO.

I should have brought that up months ago. ;)

The one positive I do see is that it might cut down on switching of schools because of the perception that the coach is not "using" the players correctly. Or it's the fault of the coach that my child is not first team all-state.

HS athletics is slowly turning into a meat market of 14-15 year olds and that should be a concern to all of us.

What about school districts with open enrollment like Kenton County?

If a student attends Woodland Middle School but wants to go to Dixie High School

would they now have to sit out 2 years?Currently they can attend Dixie as

long as they can provide their own transportation if not on bus schedule.

What about the Jefferson County schools?

Man... this will sure level the playing field won't it? How about we have games start 5 minutes later and serve whole wheat hot dog buns too. That will have the same impact on things.....and not PUNNISH kids.

I think this will have a drastic effect. Look at the LexCath girls basketball program. Several of their players attending public middle schools and then transferred into the top program in Central KY their freshmen year.

That would not have happened under this compromise. I believe they would be missing several players off their #1 rated team this year, under these guidelines.

I should have brought that up months ago. ;)

The one positive I do see is that it might cut down on switching of schools because of the perception that the coach is not "using" the players correctly. Or it's the fault of the coach that my child is not first team all-state.

HS athletics is slowly turning into a meat market of 14-15 year olds and that should be a concern to all of us.

Not that many kids leave a school for that reason. If the rules in place for the few that do, then this should be a non-issue already.

So, now we're punishing thousands of kids for the actions of a few.

My first point is I think this is rediculous and doesn't make anything better. Schools don't have rights to students.

My second point is a question. What about my alma mater, Manual who has no offical feeder school?

Third point would be if this were inacted, they should make a provision that allows a student to declare that he/she will attend a school outside there feeder two years prior to recieve no penalty, if they declare one year early than they would have a one year penalty. That way if a student intends to attend a certian school from the get-go they can avoid punishment for thier geography living situation.