Compromise Reached

sticku

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the proposals, as I understand them, may have the unintended consequence of moving recruiting to the fifth grade. I have heard reports that one well known coach in Jefferson County advises young folks about middle school selection so that they can get into his high school. Does the KHSAA regulate middle school activities? Are we going to declare open season on middle school kids in Jefferson County?

Yes, I believe the two year period will apply to freshmen and JV also. Otherwise teams like St.X and Trinity would not be affected considering no freshmen get to play varsity. The proposal members have already thought of that. Private schools are trying to fight for exclusion of varsity sports only.

"They have finally reached a compromise with the Private schools. From now on Private schools have their Catholic feeder middle schools only that they can bring in kids from. Kids have to attend 7th and 8th grades at these Catholic feeder middle schools to be eligible at the Private school. If a kid comes to the Private school without attending the feeder program then he/she will be ineligible for all athletic activities (Varsity, JV, or Freshman) for two years.

Only exception is 1A private schools. They will have a 20 mile radius to get kids from."

That comes from inside the room!

I'll ask this million dollar question:

Are the 1A private schools that are to observe the 20 mile radius designated as 1A football-wise, basketball-wise, or track-wise?

Several schools like CAL, O'Cath, St. Henry could be effected by the answer.

Yes, I believe the two year period will apply to freshmen and JV also. Otherwise teams like St.X and Trinity would not be affected considering no freshmen get to play varsity. The proposal members have already thought of that. Private schools are trying to fight for exclusion of varsity sports only.

This is where I don't get the whole thing.

A kid going to Trinity or X, as a freshman, knows he's not going to play varsity until, most likely, Junior year at the very least. Many times, not until a Senior.

If a kid still chooses to do so, it obviously isn't affecting the varsity competitions between publics and privates. What would change?

This is where I don't get the whole thing.

A kid going to Trinity or X, as a freshman, knows he's not going to play varsity until, most likely, Junior year at the very least. Many times, not until a Senior.

If a kid still chooses to do so, it obviously isn't affecting the varsity competitions between publics and privates. What would change?

They would not be developed as a player their freshmen or sophomore years because I am assuming that would mean ineligible to play and possibly practicing.

I am not to use an ineligible player in my basketball practices so, I feel it would fall that way with this.

Who decides the feeder schools? In Cambell Co. you have students that attend NCC that come from St.Joe's, St. Terresa, St. Thomas, St. Catherine and a few others. Brossart I'm sure draws from St. Joe's. Villa draws from these schools also. Are they going to share?Split?

Why only 1A private schools have to abide by the 20 mile radius? There has been one, yes one, private school champion in football. Why would this not apply to all schools, public and private (though it would be an issue for privates mostly). Seems to be sacrificing the 1A private schools.

They would not be developed as a player their freshmen or sophomore years because I am assuming that would mean ineligible to play and possibly practicing.

I am not to use an ineligible player in my basketball practices so, I feel it would fall that way with this.

Well, I guess, hypothetically, the schools could install intramural football, then?

Who decides the feeder schools? In Cambell Co. you have students that attend NCC that come from St.Joe's, St. Terresa, St. Thomas, St. Catherine and a few others. Brossart I'm sure draws from St. Joe's. Villa draws from these schools also. Are they going to share?Split?

Currently the diocese decides designated feeder parishes but there are exceptions (like for single sex schools, and Villa and Latin). Do not know if that changes with this proposal or if it only matters that it be a diocese student. Can't really see telling a Union kid that they can't go to CovCath if St. Henry doesn't offer football.