From The Huffington Post

Paul Ryan Address: Convention Speech Built On Demonstrably Misleading Assertions

TAMPA, Fla. -- Paul Ryan pledged Wednesday that if he and his running mate Mitt Romney were elected president, they would usher in an ethic of responsibility. The Wisconsin congressman and GOP vice presidential candidate repeatedly chided President Barack Obama for blaming the jobs and housing crises on his predecessor, saying that his habit of "forever shifting blame to the last administration, is getting old. The man assumed office almost four years ago -– isn’t it about time he assumed responsibility?"

Ryan then noted that Obama, while campaigning for president, promised that a GM plant in Wisconsin would not shut down. "That plant didn’t last another year. It is locked up and empty to this day. And that’s how it is in so many towns today, where the recovery that was promised is nowhere in sight," Ryan said.

Except Obama didn't promise that. And the plant closed in December 2008 -- while George W. Bush was president.

It was just one of several striking and demonstrably misleading elements of Ryan's much-anticipated acceptance speech. And it comes just days after Romney pollster Neil Newhouse warned, defending the campaign's demonstrably false ads claiming Obama removed work requirements from welfare, "We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's things like this that make me chuckle. Those who are praising this article would be blasting it if the little letter behind Ryan's name was a (D) instead of an ®, and vice versa. :lol: Gotta love politics.

I'm praising the article because it actually shows the 'fair and balanced' Fox News they claim to be. It's refreshing to see. If this was an MSNBC article I wouldn't have even read it.

She's a Liberal. She's not the first Liberal contributor for them, this isn't new.

I'm used to seeing Liberals/democrats being told to shut up or being talked over on Fox News. Not allowed to present a piece for the public to see in which the republican VP candidate is called a liar the morning after his RNC speech.

This is new territory for me.

I still hope/believe that ultimately this election boils do to the Obama administrations lousy record.

Eliminating the incorrect or disingenuous ads and attack lines and focusing on "we're not him" seems like the best strategy. Their ads are causing too many to focus on checking them. Plus you've got a campaign official stating that they don't care if the fact-checkers don't like their ads .

I also think they need to de-emphasize Paul Ryan. Too many of his beliefs conflict with Mr Romney. When Romney accuses the President of slashing the defense budget he's accusing his VP of doing the same. When he accuses the President of slashing Medicare he's accusing his VP of doing the same. It's a distraction.

I'm used to seeing Liberals/democrats being told to shut up or being talked over on Fox News. Not allowed to present a piece for the public to see in which the republican VP candidate is called a liar the morning after his RNC speech.

This is new territory for me.

I'm used to seeing things like Artur Davis's speech not being aired on certain "news" outlets. That's not new territory for me.

I'm used to seeing things like Artur Davis's speech not being aired on certain "news" outlets. That's not new territory for me.

That's why I should be commended for pointing out that Fox News is being fair and balanced. :D:

Who is the Davis guy you mentioned?

Well the factchecker of factcheckers said she got it wrong about the GM plant. Which makes me wonder if anyone really knows the truth. I find the hole campaigning thing to be distrubingly entertaining. Both sides lie and then accuse the other side of lying. Both sides run negative ads and then whine about the other sides negative ads.

I still hope/believe that ultimately this election boils do to the Obama administrations lousy record.

My opinion: anyone that bases his or her voting decision on what the candidates say on the campaign trail is a complete and total fool.

My opinion: anyone that bases his or her voting decision on what the candidates say on the campaign trail is a complete and total fool.

Partly agree but at some point there has to be some meat given in order to make a decision, correct?