Playing JV and Varsity Football in the same week

CreekFan

My son plays Left Guard on Varsity and Right Tackle on JV. Right tackle is his natural position but he has a very good senior in front of him. The coaching staff wants him to learn that position for next year. IMO, I think playing on Friday night, then turning around and playing again on Saturday morning is asking a lot of a kid. He then has to strengthttrain on Sundays.

If he is starting at left guard and plays the entire game at the varsity level the JV action is of little or no help to him, IMO.

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it ever okay for a senior or multiple seniors to play Saturday morning with the JV?

Not crazy about it, but it might be necessary to field a JV team so that some other kids can get to play a game and to develop as a player.

As numbers decrease, navigating frosh/JV football gets tougher. Even though at Mercer we have been fortunate to field frosh teams for 5 straight years, we have restructured to a freshman-sophomore team because so few of our opponents were able to field freshmen teams.

It's tough. You want kids to play and have fun. You also have to be smart so the depth you do have doesn't get hurt and then you are short-handed on a Friday night.

Bottom line.... if I had to play a couple seniors so that my JV kids could play, I would do it. I would tell the opposing coach who those seniors are on my team before we start.

Highlands did it for years under Dale Mueller.

I think they were still doing it recently.

Don’t get me wrong but why would a senior want to suit up and play with the JV anyway?

I would think those games aren’t really about the competition but more for development of the younger guys.

Don’t get me wrong but why would a senior want to suit up and play with the JV anyway?

I would think those games aren’t really about the competition but more for development of the younger guys.

Agreed, but it was all about including anyone that wanted to play football. He even suggested my daughter do it her senior year when coming back from injury albeit after being a 2 year varsity starter.

I believe there is a KHSAA rule that states that a player may only play in 6 quarters in a calendar week. One play in any given quarter counts for a quarter. Someone more knowledgeable than I can verify.

I do know that Ohio is 6 quarters in a week.

If your JV players don't care if they win or not, you've got a bigger problem.

I’m fine with playing both if for developing the kids. What I’m not fine with is all these freshman being thrust into Varsity experience at smaller schools, or schools with low participation, and then the school canceling the JV (or Froshomore) games. Kids get screwed. Then when these kids get fed up and leave, their “Varsity” experience counts and they have to sit out. It’s crazy to me.

I know a kid standing on a sideline this year that played as a freshman. He went to a school because his older brother was there. From what I’m told he never liked it, family worked with school administrators to help him adjust throughout year, then when kid decides to transfer, his running clock 0 and 11 “Varsity” experience counts. It’s nuts.

Good when good coaches use for development bad when bad coaches or schools use it to keep programs alive.