ID Needed To Hear Speech Dissing Voter IDs

bballfamily

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought government forms of ID are required at events involving federal officials as a matter of security.

I think voting is as important, so what is wrong with voter ID?

If those in attendance have ID, why can't they help the few that might need a ride down to the courthouse to get an ID?

I think voting is as important, so what is wrong with voter ID?

If those in attendance have ID, why can't they help the few that might need a ride down to the courthouse to get an ID?

I don't have a problem with making voters use proper identification. Everyone needs to be properly identified when voting. No beef with that. I do wish that these states making a mad rush to change voting laws would enact some kind of program to allow people to still exercise their right to vote. I fear this mad rush will cause some people to not be able to vote this year when they have been able to vote their whole lives. Better planning alleviates this issue.

I don't have a problem with making voters use proper identification. Everyone needs to be properly identified when voting. No beef with that. I do wish that these states making a mad rush to change voting laws would enact some kind of program to allow people to still exercise their right to vote. I fear this mad rush will cause some people to not be able to vote this year when they have been able to vote their whole lives. Better planning alleviates this issue.
I believe there is a conditional status on votes if you cannot produce an ID. At least that is what I think I heard.

I have yet to understand what the big deal is or why people are up in arms about producing an ID confirming one's voting status?

I believe there is a conditional status on votes if you cannot produce an ID. At least that is what I think I heard.

I have yet to understand what the big deal is or why people are up in arms about producing an ID confirming one's voting status?

If what you say is true about conditional status then I don't see the problem either.

Issue is less than 8% of Caucasians do not have a valid state issued ID. While nearly 25% of minorities do not. It is allegedly costly and folks may have to travel long distances for a lot of them to be able to get ID's. Therefore it would be considered unfair to minorities.

The only complaint I have is the timing of this issue and why it was not handled in a different year. Say, 2009 or 2011?

Because it obviously gets more attention in a presidential election year. Best use of marketing for your cause. Someone stated in another thread that the issue is not abandoned in other years, it just gets more play now.

I wonder if there are other issues that pop up more in the presidential election years.

Issue is less than 8% of Caucasians do not have a valid state issued ID. While nearly 25% of minorities do not. It is allegedly costly and folks may have to travel long distances for a lot of them to be able to get ID's. Therefore it would be considered unfair to minorities.

I agree. I do like the ID laws but I think they have to be combined with some type of effort that gets the id's to people who otherwise would struggle to obtain them.

I agree. I do like the ID laws but I think they have to be combined with some type of effort that gets the id's to people who otherwise would struggle to obtain them.

I agree, I have no problem with requiring an ID to vote but the process to obtain an ID should be simple and free.

The only complaint I have is the timing of this issue and why it was not handled in a different year. Say, 2009 or 2011?
To me it seems you would want to get it right no matter the time, but especially before a Presidential election.

Before it was brought to light on here a few months, I was shocked at how little effort or screening it requires to cast a vote. I understand the expense of having to purchase an id, but to me having someone just walk up and say they are "Joe Smith" to me is more troubling. Our so-called most important right as a citizen hinges upon the honor system. Wish it was like that when trying to buy booze a few years back :D

To me it seems you would want to get it right no matter the time, but especially before a Presidential election.

In theory I can agree to that. But for the Public Relations Director - it's a terrible time to appear "pushing" that change in major election years. If it were so important it should have been handled in 2009 or 2011 which is "right after" an election cycle.