Holy Cross Picks Up a Transfer

I thought most of their transfers came from Holmes?

I think its a reciprocal agreement between HC and Holmes. If a kid is a good athlete and gets kicked out of their respective school the other is standing there with enrollment forms waiting. LOL See Avery, Chames,

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I was looking for, good post.

Seems like a lot of posts putting the cart before the horse here. Most important thing in a basketball thread, I'd think would be can the kid play and will he be an impact player for Holy Cross next season?

Clyde started the thread, perhaps he can give a little basketball related info on the kid to add to what we now have.

I get where you are coming from but lets look at some former transfers and how they panned out at HC.

Avery- from Holmes - starting PG his Frosh year until ran into issues.

Pouncy- from Ludlow- first kid off the bench and played a ton.

McClendon- from Holmes- has started since Frosh year correct or soph.

Campbell- from Cincy- Stud who can dominate a game and will go D-1

I may be missing one or two here......but I would say if a kid transfers to HC and can play hoops they are more than likely going to be a pivotal part of the process. This stuff is not Rocket Science folks.....you can say HC is a great educational experience all you want but I am not buying that was the reason for these transfers and highly unlikely it is for the Colerain kid. Its all legal according to the state and I could careless to be honest as you see this a lot in football where kids move into the top school districts to play that sport....see Highlands and Beechwood. However, in basketball its different as it sticks out a little more like a terd in the punchbowl. lol

Can't it be that this kid decided to come to HC of his own accord? I don't get the accusations. Kids recruit their friends all of the time. As long as administration isn't active in the process, and the transfer checks out w/ the KHSAA go for the young man. High school is about making memories with your friends. Part of that is social, part of that is academic, and part of that is extra curricular school stuff. I wish him the best, except when he plays NewCath.

Can't it be that this kid decided to come to HC of his own accord? I don't get the accusations. Kids recruit their friends all of the time. As long as administration isn't active in the process, and the transfer checks out w/ the KHSAA go for the young man. High school is about making memories with your friends. Part of that is social, part of that is academic, and part of that is extra curricular school stuff. I wish him the best, except when he plays NewCath.

Agree with the italicized, but have to disagree with the bolded.

Apparently, recruiting students to schools is a big problem in Kenton County, as some of the public school systems have even resorted to cannibalizing one another. I got on the Kenton County School District's website and found lots of information where the district could be inferred to be soliciting students to attend their schools. Apparently, the Kenton County School District has found a loophole in KHSAA bylaws allowing Dixie Heights, Scott, and Simon Kenton to funnel in students who've shuffled around the district.

Consider the following excerpts from the Kenton County School District's own homepage:

Q: What if I want to switch to another academy?

A: Students will be able to change academies at certain checkpoints. Because the curriculum is specialized for each academy, students will need to be certain to speak with their school counselor about any changes.

Q: How to I apply?

A: Applications and recommendations can be accessed online at: Kenton County School District

Q: If I have questions about a particular academy where can I access information?

A: Students may contact their school counselor.

Q: Am I guaranteed to be admitted to the second year of an Academy if I am accepted the first year?

A: Yes. As long as your career interest remains the same and you continue to display the same levels of enthusiasm to complete the work.

But wait, it gets even better, apparently the students who transfer get rides to their new setting, and don't even have to attend a full day on campus!

Q: Will my school provide transportation to my academy?

A: Yes, transportation will be provided to and from your home school.

Q: How are the academies structured?

A: Under the academy structure, students will have the opportunity to attend a half-day program, potentially off their school campus.

Even worse, suspect "apprenticeships" and "internships" are mentioned (definite recruiting tool if the school can make job promises).

Q:What will I do my senior year?

A: The senior year results in an early middle college personalized learning plan that may feature apprenticeships, job shadows, project based learning, and internships.

Finally, the district leaves open the possibility of transferring yet again.

Q: Can I change to a different academy if my career focus changes?

A:

Of course, we recognize that as students grow and explore so might their needs and skills. Students who wish to change Academies or leave an Academy will meet with their counselor and develop a plan to make sure the all graduation requirements will be met and to make sure that the student is happy with their academic choice.... students will want to schedule an appointment with their counselor and develop a new plan. Students will then be afforded the opportunity to transition at an appropriate time.

LINK: Kenton County School District

If you haven't gotten it by now, the above is a feeble attempt at satire.

In all seriousness, best of luck to the kid and Holy Cross, as well as the rest of the teams in the 9th.

Agree with the italicized, but have to disagree with the bolded.

Apparently, recruiting students to schools is a big problem in Kenton County, as some of the public school systems have even resorted to cannibalizing one another. I got on the Kenton County School District's website and found lots of information where the district could be inferred to be soliciting students to attend their schools. Apparently, the Kenton County School District has found a loophole in KHSAA bylaws allowing Dixie Heights, Scott, and Simon Kenton to funnel in students who've shuffled around the district.

Consider the following excerpts from the Kenton County School District's own homepage:

Q: What if I want to switch to another academy?

A: Students will be able to change academies at certain checkpoints. Because the curriculum is specialized for each academy, students will need to be certain to speak with their school counselor about any changes.

Q: How to I apply?

A: Applications and recommendations can be accessed online at: Kenton County School District

Q: If I have questions about a particular academy where can I access information?

A: Students may contact their school counselor.

Q: Am I guaranteed to be admitted to the second year of an Academy if I am accepted the first year?

A: Yes. As long as your career interest remains the same and you continue to display the same levels of enthusiasm to complete the work.

But wait, it gets even better, apparently the students who transfer get rides to their new setting, and don't even have to attend a full day on campus!

Q: Will my school provide transportation to my academy?

A: Yes, transportation will be provided to and from your home school.

Q: How are the academies structured?

A: Under the academy structure, students will have the opportunity to attend a half-day program, potentially off their school campus.

Even worse, suspect "apprenticeships" and "internships" are mentioned (definite recruiting tool if the school can make job promises).

Q:What will I do my senior year?

A: The senior year results in an early middle college personalized learning plan that may feature apprenticeships, job shadows, project based learning, and internships.

Finally, the district leaves open the possibility of transferring yet again.

Q: Can I change to a different academy if my career focus changes?

A:

Of course, we recognize that as students grow and explore so might their needs and skills. Students who wish to change Academies or leave an Academy will meet with their counselor and develop a plan to make sure the all graduation requirements will be met and to make sure that the student is happy with their academic choice.... students will want to schedule an appointment with their counselor and develop a new plan. Students will then be afforded the opportunity to transition at an appropriate time.

LINK: Kenton County School District

If you haven't gotten it by now, the above is a feeble attempt at satire.

In all seriousness, best of luck to the kid and Holy Cross, as well as the rest of the teams in the 9th.

Those academies have literally nothing to do with kids transferring around from school to school for sports. They are probably the best thing to happen to Kenton County students in a long time if not ever.

Believe it when I see it.

There is another Cincy kid talking about coming to Latonia. Not sure how legit.

My source today showed me a text about a 6'7" transfer from Taft that will be enrolling today at Holy Cross. What in the wide, wide, world of sports is a going on around LATONIA.

Who (besides Campbell in basketball) has come over from Cincinnati?

4 of HC starters this year will be transfers, possibly 5 depending on how good this kid is.....

Campbell is from Cincy.

Both McClendon's were originally at Holmes

Pouncy is from Ludlow.

Kid from Colerain.

Did Gabbard transfer in last year? Or has he been at HC all along?