An attempt to evaluate the possible trade market for the Reds...

White Sox release Fukudome - Chicago White Sox Blog - ESPN Chicago

What about Fukudome who has been released by the Chi Sox and could probably be had for cheap? He has had a pretty rough year but I still think he would be good as a lefty off the bench and occasional spot starter...I could see him being more valuable to the Reds going forward than a guy like Cairo who is really struggling...Cairo has been great for the Reds but he looks to be done after having a couple really good years...I would be willing to assign Fukudome to AAA for a week or two and see if he can get his bat going and if he did I would DFA Cairo and add Fukudome to the 25 man Roster...Valdez can play 2B, SS and 3B and when Frazier isn't playing he can play cover those positions in a pinch as well...Fukudome has a career OBP of .359...

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is he going to play?

That's the biggest question but I would think you could eat his defense and put him at 3rd and also LF occasionally...He hasn't played much at 3rd lately and has been shaky there in his career and he hasn't really played in the OF at all but I still think putting him in the cleanup spot and moving BP up to lead-off would be enough to overcome his defensive deficiencies...I just was reading the article and was thinking about it, but your probably right that Cincy or any NL team isn't a really good fit unless they can put him at 1B...

That's the biggest question but I would think you could eat his defense and put him at 3rd and also LF occasionally...He hasn't played much at 3rd lately and has been shaky there in his career and he hasn't really played in the OF at all but I still think putting him in the cleanup spot and moving BP up to lead-off would be enough to overcome his defensive deficiencies...I just was reading the article and was thinking about it, but your probably right that Cincy or any NL team isn't a really good fit unless they can put him at 1B...

Rolen is going to be at 3B 2 out of 3 games whether he's being productive or not.

Might as well get used to it for the rest of the year.

Rolen is going to be at 3B 2 out of 3 games whether he's being productive or not.

Might as well get used to it for the rest of the year.

Rolen will be on the DL again before August hits...Which will be fine because Frazier will play everyday again...The Reds are 3-7 since Rolen returned and Frazier has hit .160 with 0 Hr's and 0 RBI's...Frazier was hitting .280 with 6 HR's and 19 RBI's before Rolen returned...Rolen will be on the DL with some kind of injury before long, he hurts the team way more than he helps the team...If the Reds had a manager that didn't favor the Vets it would be a different story but they don't...

Rolen will be on the DL again before August hits...Which will be fine because Frazier will play everyday again...The Reds are 3-7 since Rolen returned and Frazier has hit .160 with 0 Hr's and 0 RBI's...Frazier was hitting .280 with 6 HR's and 19 RBI's before Rolen returned...Rolen will be on the DL with some kind of injury before long, he hurts the team way more than he helps the team...If the Reds had a manager that didn't favor the Vets it would be a different story but they don't...

The Reds have given up 5 or more runs in 5 of those losses. Last time I check Rolen wasn't a pitcher...

Rolen hasn't been and won't be very productive but the success of this team comes down to pitching and the last two weeks they just haven't got the job done on the mound.

Frazier hasn't had an RBI since June 10th...

The Reds have given up 5 or more runs in 5 of those losses. Last time I check Rolen wasn't a pitcher...

Rolen hasn't been and won't be very productive but the success of this team comes down to pitching and the last two weeks they just haven't got the job done on the mound.

Frazier hasn't had an RBI since June 10th...

The success will ultimately come down to pitching.

I feel like Frazier couldn't get hot or get into a groove b/c he wasn't put in the right spots. There is a good chance it's just b/c he was hot at one point and he's just not that good. There is no mistaking he hasn't been given a fair shake this year though.

The success will ultimately come down to pitching.

I feel like Frazier couldn't get hot or get into a groove b/c he wasn't put in the right spots. There is a good chance it's just b/c he was hot at one point and he's just not that good. There is no mistaking he hasn't been given a fair shake this year though.

He's just not that good. He's nothing more than a utility guy with power.

I don't know if you've noticed but they're 41-34 and in first place...

I don't know if you noticed but on June 17th the Reds were 11 Games over .500 and 4 up on the Pirates and 5 up on the Cardinals...The Reds now have a 1 game lead on the Pirates and a 1.5 game lead on the Cardinals...The Pythagorean Win-Loss which takes into accounts Runs Scored and Runs Given up gives the Reds the same Record they have now, However it gives the Cardinals a Record of 45-31 which would be a 3.5 game lead over the Reds...The Cardinals have the best Run Differential in the NL and the second best in all of Baseball...It's time to take the blinders off the Reds offense is terrible they are below the ML Average as a team in almost every key statistical category, the Reds pitching is above the ML Average as a team in almost every key statistical category...Hopefully Latos will get some consistency going forward...As you can see the Reds have struggled with Runners on and the Reds pitching really hasn't been that bad...The Reds Fielding has also committed the 5th Fewest Errors...I'm a fan of any move that would improve the team whether it be acquiring an arm or acquiring a bat, However the Pitching hasn't struggled near as much as the hitting has...

Sometimes it would be nice to win games when the Pitchers give up more than 3 Runs, The Reds have won 11 games all year when the Pitchers give up more than 3 Runs, 2 of those were when the Reds Pitchers gave up 4 Runs and 7 of those were when the Reds Pitchers gave up 5 Runs...The Reds have lost 24 games when the Reds pitchers give up more than 3 Runs and they have lost 10 out of the 40 games when the Reds pitchers have given up 3 Runs or less...In total the Reds have scored 2 Runs or Less 16 times...

The Reds Offense as a team:

22nd in Hits-625 (ML Average-653)

19th in Average

21st in OBP

15th in Runs

The Reds Offense w/no Runners on:

8th in Runs

13th in Hits

4th in Doubles

8th in HR's

8th in RBI's

17th in AVG

18th in OBP

The Reds Offense w/Runners on:

21st in Runs-270 (ML Average-284)

24th in Hits-251 (ML Average-282)

21st in RBI's-253 (ML Average-269)

23rd in AVG-.246 (ML Average-.259)

19th in OBP

The Reds Offense w/RISP

22nd in Runs-227 (ML Average-240)

22nd in RBI's-213 (ML Average-226)

23rd in AVG-.238 (ML Average-.253)

The Reds Offense w/RISP and 2 Outs

23rd in Runs-85 (ML Average-99)

27th in Hits-57 (ML Average-71)

23rd in RBI's-80 (ML Average-93)

27th in AVG-.199 (ML Average-.237)

26th in OBP-.313 (ML Average-.344)

The Reds Offense as a Pinch Hitter:

9th in Hits

3rd in Doubles

1st in Triples

8th in Total Bases

6th in AVG

12th in OBP

5th in SLG

Reds Batting by Postion:

Catchers

25th in Runs

22nd in HR's

Last in RBI's-16 (ML Average-34)

3rd Base

24th in Runs

28th in Hits-56 (ML Average-74)

28th in AVG-.197 (ML Average-.258)

28th in OBP-.258 (ML Average-.321)

SS

27th in RBI's-18 (ML Average-28)

21st in AVG

2nd Most K's-71 (ML Average-52)

21st in OBP-.287 (ML Average-.309)

LF

Last in Runs-25 (ML Average-39)

22nd in Hits

20th in RBI's

21st in AVG-.235 (ML Average-.263)

23rd in OBP-.303 (ML Average-.332)

5th Most K's

CF

23rd in RBI's

24th in AVG-.243 (ML Average-.267)

26th in OBP-.304 (ML Average-.333

5th most K's-80 (ML Average-65)

RF

27th in Hits

26th in AVG-.239 (ML Average-.263)

22nd in OBP-.310 (ML Average-.331)

8th most K's

The Reds Pitching as a team:

6th in ERA-3.54 (ML Average-3.99)

9th in Saves

7th in Complete Games-4 (ML Average-2)

11th in QS

5th fewest BB's-202 (ML Average-235)

11th in K's-582 (ML Average-563)

12th in BAA

The Reds SP:

4th fewest L's-22 (ML Average-28)

12th best ERA-3.93 (ML Average-4.19)

Least amount of BB's-116 (ML Average-147)

The Reds RP:

2nd in ERA-2.67 (ML Average-3.57)

5th in K's-237 (ML Average-206)

1st in BAA-.209 (ML Average-.243)

^you can throw out all the stats you want.

All that matters is the record and standing in the division. Right now they're first. Neither the Pirates or Cardinals have shown they're better than the Reds thus far and until they do it's the Reds division to lose.

No chance he is coming back and I don't want him back. We don't call him E-5 for nothing.

:thumb: E-5 was frustrating because he was so poor defensively. People knew he could hit some. He has a nice gig in the AL as a DH. No interest in bringing him back.

^you can throw out all the stats you want.

All that matters is the record and standing in the division. Right now they're first. Neither the Pirates or Cardinals have shown they're better than the Reds thus far and until they do it's the Reds division to lose.

I'm surprised by your statement. You seem to be real quick to throw out stats and your favorite manager is obsessed with them. You seem to forget how the Cards took charge late last year, went 23-9 over their final 32, erased a 10 1/2 game deficit and went on to win it all. Bottom line this team is offensively challenged as the stats so clearly show and if they don't get better the very same thing could happen again this year Pujols or no Pujols. Now granted a 10 1/2 game deficit would be almost impossible for this Cards team to overcome but the last few years there have been several teams make late charges and they ususally do it with offense. Pitching can carry you a long way but this starting staff has yet to show a lot of consistency other than Cueto. I have to believe that if the Reds are still close come late July that Jocketty will try to strengthen this bench and maybe even rent a left fielder to try to put them over the top. A top notch starter might not be out of the question, maybe a Dempster who knows the division and might be able to help this staff.