Freshmen Regional Tournament

The draw was last night. The bracket looks like this: (sorry I don't have it looking all fancy. Maybe someone can put it in an actual bracket.)

WEST

-May 10

St. Henry @ Conner at 5

Cooper @ Simon Kenton at 5

Boone @Ryle at 5

Dixie has the bye

EAST

-May 10

Brossart @ Holy Cross (FOPA) at 5

Campbell Cty @ Cov Cath at 5

Highlands @ Beechwood at 5

Scott & NCC (unsure of place and time)

The quaterfinals will be held on May 11 at sites to be determined after the first round (Dixie will play the winner of Ryle/Boone at 5 at Dixie).

The West semis are at Simon Kenton at noon on May 12. The East semis are at Highlands at noon as well.

The finals are at St. Henry at 7pm the night of May 12.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VOR, it's been difficult to get a good feel for many of the freshman teams due to kids moving up and down, pitching middle school players, etc. I'd say the most dominant player I've seen would be the Smallwood kid from Dixie. Will he play in the freshman regional? I don't know that answer, but if he does, Dixie moves on to round two without a sweat. Beechwood also has a very nice team. They played some games this week without some of their better players, whom got moved up, but if they play in the regional, they'll be a tough out as well. Boone, Newcath, Scott, Simon Kenton, CovCath, and Campbell also have very nice teams. It really is a toss-up. Any of the teams I mentioned could win the whole thing, but it will all depend on who can get to the semi-final with a good pitcher still available. Best of luck to all.

VOR, it's been difficult to get a good feel for many of the freshman teams due to kids moving up and down, pitching middle school players, etc. I'd say the most dominant player I've seen would be the Smallwood kid from Dixie. Will he play in the freshman regional? I don't know that answer, but if he does, Dixie moves on to round two without a sweat. Beechwood also has a very nice team. They played some games this week without some of their better players, whom got moved up, but if they play in the regional, they'll be a tough out as well. Boone, Newcath, Scott, Simon Kenton, CovCath, and Campbell also have very nice teams. It really is a toss-up. Any of the teams I mentioned could win the whole thing, but it will all depend on who can get to the semi-final with a good pitcher still available. Best of luck to all.

Freshman baseball is tough to get a read on because of all the player movement. If you are a freshman and want to have a shot at playing varsity, baseball is probably the best sport to play and most of the best freshmen almost always play some JV. I am sure we will soon soon get the obligatory post or even a thread ..."why is he playing, he has played in a varsity game". Good luck to all the teams.

If Beechwood has all of their kids they are the team to beat imo..Wait until they get Combs and Stringer next year...Wow!!! When Beechwoods frosh are seniors and the 8th graders are juniors I could see Beechwood challenge to win State..They will be absolutely loaded with some serious pitching..

If Beechwood has all of their kids they are the team to beat imo..Wait until they get Combs and Stringer next year...Wow!!! When Beechwoods frosh are seniors and the 8th graders are juniors I could see Beechwood challenge to win State..They will be absolutely loaded with some serious pitching..

Not sure that Ethan is going to BW? If so, you are right. Went out and watched a tourney last weekend in Hamersville, both kids big and strong. Watched 3 games, their team blew out all three teams they played and beat Flames,a top 25 rated team nationally, in championship 11-1. After watching them live, I now believe all the hype on both. Combs a bit more raw than Stringer, but cannot imagine either of them anywhere but varsity next year. Not sure Ethan hit a bad ball in any game I saw, including a ball that went over the 345 sign in dead center, and went half way up a large tree. Not into the tale of the tape game, but would guess it was over 400ft, and yes, it was with a BBCOR bat. He went 6-8 with two walks in the games and hit every ball on the screws. Good outfielder as well with a great arm. Combs, when he gets it, hits it as hard as anyone I have seen. Hit a couple rockets down the right field line, probably went 3-8 or so in the games I saw. Add those two to BHamilton and the rest of those Diamond Jaxx kids, that team could be very good. Saw some great other NKY kids out there, the Flesher kid from Cooper, and Lyons from Dixie. Flescher is a hard throwing lefty that looks very smooth in the outfield and on the mound, and Lyons stood out as a hitter. I was there to watch Midland, but that is a great facility that allows you to watch 4 games at once. FWIW, saw a 6'5 12 year old from GA. Kid was a phenom.

No way Ethan Stringer plays Freshman ball next year.