Zollo/Setty Transfers Dependent Upon GPA

Clyde

I wasn't aware that a team's APR took a hit if a kid transfer with a GPA below a 2.6.

Both Zollo at WKU and Setty at S Illinois are in that situation. WKU has allowed Vinny to talk to other schools but have said that he will not be released if he does hit get up to a 2.6 (he's close). Setty can't even talk to another school. Apparently, S Illinois is already in a precarious situation in regards to APR and cannot afford a hit.

APR fears put transfer hopefuls like Setty in tough situation - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and RPI Rankings

Tough situation for ADs. They are playing by the rules set forth by the school presidents and the NCAA.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the first I heard of the 2.6 rule.

I always thought is was as long as they were academically eligibile to compete.

Me, too.

I have to side with the AD on this one. He/she has been put into a tough situation by the NCAA. The APR is real and its impact is real (see: UCONN). The AD has to do what's best for the school as unfortunate as that sounds and as cold as that sounds. The AD can't jeopardize the entire team just to release one kid who isn't meeting the 2.6 requirement that the AD has to abide by.

Me, too.

I have to side with the AD on this one. He/she has been put into a tough situation by the NCAA. The APR is real and its impact is real (see: UCONN). The AD has to do what's best for the school as unfortunate as that sounds and as cold as that sounds. The AD can't jeopardize the entire team just to release one kid who isn't meeting the 2.6 requirement that the AD has to abide by.

This is my line of thinking as well. However, the NCAA is allowing kids that have a 2.0 GPA to be academically eligible to play so the ugly situation is created and controlled by the NCAA and the kids are still getting screwed over. Doesn't make sense for a kid to have a 2.6 and the school is punished but the kid can have a 2.0 and play. Strange circumstances.

This is my line of thinking as well. However, the NCAA is allowing kids that have a 2.0 GPA to be academically eligible to play so the ugly situation is created and controlled by the NCAA and the kids are still getting screwed over. Doesn't make sense for a kid to have a 2.6 and the school is punished but the kid can have a 2.0 and play. Strange circumstances.

I agree with you. This seems very strange. I know Vinny has been talking to some schools and has some visits set up. He is a good student and I am sure he will have the 2.6 by the time school is out. The article didn't mention Gordon, I, then assume he has the 2.6

Gottleib spoke briefly about this tonight. He said he tweeted a resolution to Setty. A possible solution is to transfer to a JUCO, practice with the team without playing while getting your Associates degree. If you do this it doesn't affect the APR. He said it did this after departing ND.

Tough situation for ADs. They are playing by the rules set forth by the school presidents and the NCAA.

Indeed. SIU is taking a beating on Twitter (from the people I follow, many of which are in the Maysville area), but I can totally see where the AD's are coming from.

Im gonna get bashed for this but, should the students not have some accout for this here as well. If their GPA's were over teh 2.6 to begin with there would be no issue. This is made out to seem as some "Oh I didnt know" thing, but in reality, you should have. Students/parents should make sure they know all the rules and what ifs before they sign with a school. (specifically in this day in time.)

Granted the AD's hands are tied, but it is not like this was something that was just wrote in the dirt.

Im gonna get bashed for this but, should the students not have some accout for this here as well. If their GPA's were over teh 2.6 to begin with there would be no issue. This is made out to seem as some "Oh I didnt know" thing, but in reality, you should have. Students/parents should make sure they know all the rules and what ifs before they sign with a school. (specifically in this day in time.)

Granted the AD's hands are tied, but it is not like this was something that was just wrote in the dirt.

I doubt many parents know or are told the APR rules regarding transferring and GPA.

I get the concept. I would argue that the 2.0 should be used.

They were Talking a out something similar the other day. Said that athletes have unlimited resources to help them pass classes. Far beyond what regular students are able to use and if a student athlete fails then more often than not its their own doing.