Nerlons Noel Blog

For me, I was comparing it to all the half wit tweets, regardless of race, from athletes all over the spectrum. Little thought to the content or manner of which it was written. I commend him on a very savvy statement.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a white kid would have written it, I'd have said the same thing.

I don't think anyone here is saying that you need to defend yourself spindoc. It's just funny how it works out that way. I wish I could remember what the thread was called in the Pro Sports forum because it goes a lot with this. It had something to do with nicknames we use for players and usually some you never hear for the white players and vice versa.

And for the record, I thought it was so well-written that it could have been him. And I admit, that isn't right, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the first thing I thought.

It's not a compliment.

Yeah, it is a compliment. How many forum posts on Bluegrass Preps have been about other players' blogs? 0. That includes black and white athletes. I made an observation about an athlete. I didn't even know players had blogs. I don't follow people on Twitter and aren't friends with them on Facebook, so I don't know about that either. Man, some people really fish, don't they?

MJ, I'm not intending to defend myself if it comes off that way. My point is that we've become so paranoid about race that we automatically assume the worst. If Polson would have written it, I wouldn't be surprised, not because he's white, but because he's a governor's scholar. Is Noel a stellar student? I have no idea. But common grammar and composition is a lost art in this texting, tweeting, blogging generation. Again, you can call it blinders or whatever, but we only perpetuate racial overtones when you assume something that may not be there, ala the comments about this kids blog.

Yeah, it is a compliment. How many forum posts on Bluegrass Preps have been about other players' blogs? 0. That includes black and white athletes. I made an observation about an athlete. I didn't even know players had blogs. I don't follow people on Twitter and aren't friends with them on Facebook, so I don't know about that either. Man, some people really fish, don't they?

Amen.

Granted their aren't very many white players in the spot light, but when there are, you never hear someone comment about them being articulate or well-spoken.

I don't remember anyone commenting about how Jimmer Fredette, Robbie Hummel, Doug McDermott, Josh Harrelson, and etc. were articulate or well-spoken. And in my mind that is because we subconsciously expect them to be. Not even saying that is necessarily a bad thing, just how it is.

Granted their aren't very many white players in the spot light, but when there are, you never hear someone comment about them being articulate or well-spoken.

I don't remember anyone commenting about how Jimmer Fredette, Robbie Hummel, Doug McDermott, Josh Harrelson, and etc. were articulate or well-spoken. And in my mind that is because we subconsciously expect them to be. Not even saying that is necessarily a bad thing, just how it is.

Listened to Robbie Hummel on the way to New Orleans. He is well-spoken.

So besides the well-spoken, white/black athlete thing, does anyone think Calipari going to visit with Oriaki today has anything to do with the Cats potentially not landing Noel?

I feel like they don't have anything to do with each other personally. I would think they could start at PF and C together.