Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nerlons Noel Blog

Featured Replies

Have you ever spoken to John Hood? I have. He's "well spoken"...
You said it, not me.:D All Sharptonisms and Jacksonisms aside, I think the tendency to view elite level college athletes as "dumb jocks" is the reason some would view Noel and others as well spoken. Not really racial in my opinion. I tend not to notice colors or races. A persons actions really stand out to me.
  • Replies 248
  • Views 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You said it, not me.:D All Sharptonisms and Jacksonisms aside, I think the tendency to view elite level college athletes as "dumb jocks" is the reason some would view Noel and others as well spoken. Not really racial in my opinion. I tend not to notice colors or races. A persons actions really stand out to me.
So where are all the examples of the "well-spoken" white athletes?
So where are all the examples of the "well-spoken" white athletes?

 

Never seen one. I'm going to make one this spring while I'm on the road just to be the first... :lol:

Never seen one. I'm going to make one this spring while I'm on the road just to be the first... :lol:
:lol: :lol:

 

I haven't either. Make sure and link to it so we'll have it on record.

You said it, not me.:D All Sharptonisms and Jacksonisms aside, I think the tendency to view elite level college athletes as "dumb jocks" is the reason some would view Noel and others as well spoken. Not really racial in my opinion. I tend not to notice colors or races. A persons actions really stand out to me.

 

Can you find a Plumlee or Zeller brood article that calls any of those 237 dudes "well spoken"? Hansbrough brothers? Frankengody even? Dude was clearly a zombie and was never called "well spoken".

 

Just sayin... :idunno:

I definitely agree that people make race an issue far too often. More so than need be really. However I can see where FKYW and GT are coming from on this one. Why do we feel the need to point out someone is well spoken when they are black, but not really when they're white? A white player is generally expected to be well-spoken. Not the case with black players. Like GT said, that's just the reality. Not taking shots at anyone in this thread who said it either. I know I do the same thing. I did with Brandon Knight for sure. I never even gave it a thought until now. Not once have I referred to a white player as well-spoken. Good food for thought guys.

It is a compliment. But if anyone wants to be offended by it by assuming that I made it with an underlying racist sub conscience way... I can't help you.

Implying that I can't state that a kid is well written or well spoken because Of their race is a properuation of ignorance.

The kid writes well. It is nice to see that out of ANY 18 year old kid.

Ridiculous.

It's kind of like when you read about ANY left handed hitter in baseball about how they have a "sweet swing" or whatever. You rarely, if ever, hear that about a right handed hitter. I, for one, didn't take it as a race thing but as a compliment but when you stop and think about it, you never hear "well spoken" or "well written" about white players.

 

To me, if I can read something from ANY kid that is even close to proper grammar I am surprised. I make my share of mistakes but I try to get it correct.

Gold blasts the kid...

Formerky blasts those of us trying to give the kid a compliment.

 

They make pills that will give you guys a cheerier outlook on life.

 

Where did I blast him????

 

No, but someone could have taken Gold Sunrise's post the wrong way.

 

Sure looks like they did.

It is a compliment. But if anyone wants to be offended by it by assuming that I made it with an underlying racist sub conscience way... I can't help you.

Implying that I can't state that a kid is well written or well spoken because Of their race is a properuation of ignorance.

The kid writes well. It is nice to see that out of ANY 18 year old kid.

Ridiculous.

 

I'm just making observations. Though if this is a "properuation" of ignorance can you at least show me an example of a white athlete being referred to as "well-spoken"?

Wow, I opened this thread to read about Noel and his thoughts about his upcoming decision, and it turned into a thread about race and perceptions about compliments you cannot give to minorities.

I love what this thread has turned into. I side with FKYW and GT on the topic. I believe we had a thread in the Pro Sports forum a few months back that was similar to this.

 

Heard several people over the last two weeks comment on how well spoken they thought Shabazz Mohammed was.

You have examples of white athletes being well-spoken?

 

 

P.S. You can't use GT's example from above. :lol:

I thought the blog was well written if he was purple. No more, no less. It's your post that makes it different.

I don't think anyone is calling anyone racist in this thread. Just people pointing out how funny it is the our society works.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.