Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region 2012-2013

Featured Replies

Dixie will be the team to beat in the 9th.

  • Replies 135
  • Views 28.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dixie will be the team to beat in the 9th.

 

Dixie will be top 5, but not the team to beat. They lack the depth needed to win the region. 1-5 they can play with anyone, but after that, you will see a drop off.

 

Newcath and Cooper return the most and should be preseason #1 and #2.

 

Holmes will be very deep this year but front court will be thin with Englemon, Hill, and the Chames kid from HC. If the "surprise" player ends up playing, I'll take Holmes to win the region. Teams will have a tough time matching up with their athleticism and speed.

 

Covcath returns one of the top pg's in the region and some experience from last years' team so you can't count them out.

 

Depending on what happens with Campbell at HC, they may or may not be in the top 5. I'd have them or Dixie at #5. Without Campbell, though, HC will struggle this year. Absolutely no size in the front court wiithout Campbell.

Dixie will be top 5, but not the team to beat. They lack the depth needed to win the region. 1-5 they can play with anyone, but after that, you will see a drop off.

 

Newcath and Cooper return the most and should be preseason #1 and #2.

 

Holmes will be very deep this year but front court will be thin with Englemon, Hill, and the Chames kid from HC. If the "surprise" player ends up playing, I'll take Holmes to win the region. Teams will have a tough time matching up with their athleticism and speed.

 

Covcath returns one of the top pg's in the region and some experience from last years' team so you can't count them out.

 

Depending on what happens with Campbell at HC, they may or may not be in the top 5. I'd have them or Dixie at #5. Without Campbell, though, HC will struggle this year. Absolutely no size in the front court wiithout Campbell.

 

Spot on Walter!

Walter, agree with top 5 or 6 assessment in some order (NCC, CC, Holmes, Cooper, Dixie, HC).....see other thread but Campbell was at back at HC yesterday. With Campbell it gives HC a chance to compete as a Top 5 team in the 9th. Coach Goetz has put together as tough a schedule as I can remember too. I don't think the record will be nearly as good as last, but they should be battle tested come March.

Holy Cross hasnt been out of the District in like 8 yrs? Correct?

Holy Cross hasnt been out of the District in like 8 yrs? Correct?

 

Strictly going by memory, but I think it's 13 years.

 

If I remember correctly, and I don't all the time anymore, their last regional appearance was 1999.

 

Of course, that has nothing to do with this year's team.

Q/Sandy....can't argue your point is spot on - it has been a while since HC has made it out of the district. Maybe if HC was in the 34th or 36th district the last 10 years they would have made a lot of regional appearances with the teams they have had. The fact that they are in the toughest district ever year does make it much tougher for a small school to get out of the 35th that is for sure. But let's see, in the 34th it's Dixie and either Lloyd or St. Henry (Ludlow and Villa come on).....and in the weakest district year in and year out it's NCC and Highands with Dayton, Bellevue and Newport. My point being I don't think we are exactly comparing apples and apples. Take out rare year where Newport went down state but that was 100% due to the 2 transfers they had for 1 year. NCC and Highlands have benefitted from the weakest district for years as far as making regional appearances.

Strictly going by memory, but I think it's 13 years.

 

If I remember correctly, and I don't all the time anymore, their last regional appearance was 1999.

 

Of course, that has nothing to do with this year's team.

 

WOW! I didn't realize it has been that long.

Strictly going by memory, but I think it's 13 years.

 

If I remember correctly, and I don't all the time anymore, their last regional appearance was 1999.

 

Of course, that has nothing to do with this year's team.

 

Holy Cross made the regional in '03/'04

 

Beechwood played in the regional in '08/'09

 

Every other year since 2000 the 35th District has been represented by Holmes and CovCath (10 times in 12 years)

 

When was the last time Holmes didn't make it to the 9th region tourney?

 

 

Though I would never agree with such a change - HC, Beechwood, and Latin may want to vote for a blind district draw and scrap seeding. It has worked on occassion for the trio in the 36th.

Holy Cross made the regional in '03/'04

 

Beechwood played in the regional in '08/'09

 

Every other year since 2000 the 35th District has been represented by Holmes and CovCath (10 times in 12 years)

 

When was the last time Holmes didn't make it to the 9th region tourney?

 

 

Though I would never agree with such a change - HC, Beechwood, and Latin may want to vote for a blind district draw and scrap seeding. It has worked on occassion for the trio in the 36th.

 

edit

Holy Cross made the regional in '03/'04

Beechwood played in the regional in '08/'09

 

Every other year since 2000 the 35th District has been represented by Holmes and CovCath (10 times in 12 years)

 

When was the last time Holmes didn't make it to the 9th region tourney?

 

 

Though I would never agree with such a change - HC, Beechwood, and Latin may want to vote for a blind district draw and scrap seeding. It has worked on occassion for the trio in the 36th.

 

Answered your question with your first sentence.

 

HC beat Holmes in 03/04 then lost to Covcath in the district championship and Dixie in the first round of the region tourney.

 

That was the year Lexie Brown broke his leg, I believe, in the first quarter of the HC game and Holmes ended up losing to HC 46-43 in a "stall ball" game by HC.

 

Holmes had beaten HC (at HC) by 13 earlier in the year.

Q/Sandy....can't argue your point is spot on - it has been a while since HC has made it out of the district. Maybe if HC was in the 34th or 36th district the last 10 years they would have made a lot of regional appearances with the teams they have had. The fact that they are in the toughest district ever year does make it much tougher for a small school to get out of the 35th that is for sure. But let's see, in the 34th it's Dixie and either Lloyd or St. Henry (Ludlow and Villa come on).....and in the weakest district year in and year out it's NCC and Highands with Dayton, Bellevue and Newport. My point being I don't think we are exactly comparing apples and apples. Take out rare year where Newport went down state but that was 100% due to the 2 transfers they had for 1 year. NCC and Highlands have benefitted from the weakest district for years as far as making regional appearances.

 

Actually, you're spot on with most of your assessment.

 

My post wasn't a shot at HC in any way though. They've had some great coaches and players in the last 15 years, I think most people in the area consider them one of the better programs in NKY.

 

I was simply trying to answer Q's question, and doing so strictly from memory. No hidden agenda at all. And, as I figured, my memory didn't serve me well. I was wrong.

 

Of course, whether it was 1999, 2004, or last year doesn't matter to this year's team.

Nussbaum, McKenzie and Maus should lead them but they will lack depth. Maus and Mckenzie will give them nice size and Nussbaum attacks and plays hard. They lack shooters though from what I have seen.

 

 

Have heard there are a few kids in the younger classes electing not to play this year, but we shall see. They are going to need some young players to really step up this year. Mckenzie showed great improvement over the summer however with him playing football this year not sure how much he has worked on his hoop game. Maus is going to have to insert himself in the offense. He has a nice shot but showed little aggressiveness last year. Nussbaum aatacks/plays as hard as anyone I have ever seen however he doesn't provide much outside scoring. Great defender as long as he doesn't get into foul trouble.

 

Beechwood struggled immensely last year hopefully, they will be able to improve on the few wins from last year.

Beechwood will be lucky to get a team on the court. There are no junior boys playing and maybe two seniors. This is all coaching related, good for the boys. If you do not play your best then nobody will play.

Beechwood will be lucky to get a team on the court. There are no junior boys playing and maybe two seniors. This is all coaching related, good for the boys. If you do not play your best then nobody will play.

 

I'll go ahead and say this post is exactly why Beechwood traditionally struggles in basketball. Are you at practice everyday? Do you watch the game films? Do you have the game box scores and team stats? For anyone to support kids quitting on their teammates and school is embarrassing. Once upon a time kids were shunned by their parents for not sticking it out and earning minutes, now they are supported. I'm sure these coaches want to win. Can you give an example of not playing "your best"?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.