Hell is Hot!

And I'm simply saying I think those that believe that it's "this way or Hell" are judgemental people.

Look, I believe Jesus is the son of God, and died for our sins. However, I will not try to tell other people that if you don't believe as I do, you're going to hell. I don't know, you don't know, Spindoc doesn't know, AL doesn't know, no one does. For me to say that to someone else, is passing judgement. God is the only one that can do that, no one else.

Well, if you're right, the Bible isn't worth the paper it's written on.

And that's the problem with Christianity today. We don't stand on God's Word. It was Christ himself who said he is the only way. Can't get there by works, Buddha, Jim Jones, James Earl Jones, Tom Jones, Muhammad, Ghandi. Just Jesus. We preach a prosperity (see brother Olsteen) religion and "all paths" to Heaven today. And unless I'm really poor at interpretation, that's not what the Bible says at all. If we can get in multiple ways, Christ died on the cross for nothing. He's no more than a prophet who was hanged by zealots.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm simply saying I think those that believe that it's "this way or Hell" are judgemental people.

Look, I believe Jesus is the son of God, and died for our sins. However, I will not try to tell other people that if you don't believe as I do, you're going to hell. I don't know, you don't know, Spindoc doesn't know, AL doesn't know, no one does. For me to say that to someone else, is passing judgement. God is the only one that can do that, no one else.

You are half way there. He also has to be your Lord and Savior. There is no other way. Look at my post #22. Jesus himself says there is no other way to the father but through him.

Not really. If you're a good, caring, loving person, you're being Christ-like in your daily actions. That is what gets us to Heaven, the Bible even tells us to be Christ-like.
In truth you need to, both accept Christ and his teachings, as well as do good works out of love for God. While it's true that Christ died to redeem us, just sitting around saying "I believe Christ saved me" won't get you anywhere. God wants us to be His instruments of peace and love on earth. He put each of us here for a purpose, and we give our praise and thanks to Him by doing what he commands of us.

We preach a prosperity (see brother Olsteen) religion and "all paths" to Heaven today. And unless I'm really poor at interpretation, that's not what the Bible says at all. If we can get in multiple ways, Christ died on the cross for nothing.

Such a thing is really for God himself to decide. I would never be so presumptuous as to claim to know the mind of God. Jesus calls those who hear his message to follow him. But I will never believe that God rejects every other person. Like I said earlier, the path any individual is on is between themself and God. Although someone may be on a misguided path, if they are at least seeking the one God, that has to mean something.

Just to clarify the above post: I'm not refering to polytheistic religions, paganism or atheism - those are going to be a much tougher sell at the pearly gates. Basically, when I speak of "different paths," I'm really speaking of denominational and sectarian differences among the Abrahamic religions.

Such a thing is really for God himself to decide. I would never be so presumptuous as to claim to know the mind of God. Jesus calls those who hear his message to follow him. But I will never believe that God rejects every other person. Like I said earlier, the path any individual is on is between themself and God. Although someone may be on a misguided path, if they are at least seeking the one God, that has to mean something.

Not to be argumentative, if you believe the bible cover to cover, then that's not remotely what Christ himself said. Which is exactly what nWo said earlier.

And God himself did decide. And made it very clear. Otherwise there would have been absolutely no reason for Christ to come.

Not to be argumentative, if you believe the bible cover to cover, then that's not remotely what Christ himself said. Which is exactly what nWo said earlier.

And God himself did decide. And made it very clear. Otherwise there would have been absolutely no reason for Christ to come.

Did you see my last post. I thought I clarified what I was "trying" to say. :idunno:

Just so we're clear, you believe everything in the Bible is 100% truth?

The decision as to where a person spends their eternal destination belongs to God & Him alone. It is not for any of us to declare that such-and-such goes to Heaven, while such-and-such goes to Hell. The reason God alone can do that is because He knows everything and we don't. He does, according to Scripture, know us better than we know ourselves.

But if someone comes to me and asks, "How can I get to Heaven?" the answer I provide them with is this one: You need to accept Jesus Christ as the Lord & Savior of your life. The Bible teaches that no human can accumulate enough good deeds to earn Heaven as an eternal home. In fact, Scripture says that our righteous acts are like filthy rags before God. Good deeds serve as a test of authentication of a person's faith. James basically says, "You say you have faith...well, I'll show you my faith by what I do." The deeds do not save, but rather verify salvation. If a person has been saved by Christ, their deeds will back up their professed faith. If the deeds don't match up, then there's a question of whether their faith (salvation) is genuine.

Does this come across as exclusive--that Jesus is the only way? Evidently it does. But it's not me making it exclusive; it's Jesus himself. I believe C.S. Lewis worded it best when he made this statement (from Mere Christianity):

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one things we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

The decision as to where a person spends their eternal destination belongs to God & Him alone. It is not for any of us to declare that such-and-such goes to Heaven, while such-and-such goes to Hell. The reason God alone can do that is because He knows everything and we don't. He does, according to Scripture, know us better than we know ourselves.

Good deeds serve as a test of authentication of a person's faith. James basically says, "You say you have faith...well, I'll show you my faith by what I do." The deeds do not save, but rather verify salvation. If a person has been saved by Christ, their deeds will back up their professed faith. If the deeds don't match up, then there's a question of whether their faith (salvation) is genuine.

Very well stated, on both points! :thumb:

And from my vantage point people that feel that way are extremely judgemental. There is no person on this Earth that knows what gets a person into Heaven. To try and say that if you don't believe this way or that, that you're going to Hell is passing judgement on others. Only God can judge, not you or I.

Then Jesus is being judgemental because that is what Jesus says.

No one can know the Father without knowing the Son.

Didn't say no one can know the Father unless they are a good caring loving person.

Very nicely said!!

But if someone comes to me and asks, "How can I get to Heaven?" the answer I provide them with is this one: You need to accept Jesus Christ as the Lord & Savior of your life. The Bible teaches that no human can accumulate enough good deeds to earn Heaven as an eternal home. In fact, Scripture says that our righteous acts are like filthy rags before God. Good deeds serve as a test of authentication of a person's faith. James basically says, "You say you have faith...well, I'll show you my faith by what I do." The deeds do not save, but rather verify salvation. If a person has been saved by Christ, their deeds will back up their professed faith. If the deeds don't match up, then there's a question of whether their faith (salvation) is genuine.

Does this come across as exclusive--that Jesus is the only way? Evidently it does. But it's not me making it exclusive; it's Jesus himself. I believe C.S. Lewis worded it best when he made this statement (from Mere Christianity):

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one things we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”