Hell is Hot!

To your "narrow path" comment, I would highlight Jesus' own words from the Sermon on the Mount--“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" (Matthew 7: 13-14). Jesus himself described the way "that leads to life" as narrow & the way that "leads to destruction" as wide.
Yes, but the path to destruction is a chosen one. We're told in the Bible that people who are in Hell are there because they chose to be there and although they are being tormented for eternity, they do not want to leave.

In Romans 2, Paul mentions those who have not heard the law. He says, "their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or perhaps excuse them on that day when, according to my Gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." If a person has never been exposed to the Word of God, they may still reach Heaven. If, however, they have heard the Word and have rejected it or failed to pursue it, they will face harsh judgment.

I think the main thing we can all agree on is that our minds are not God's mind, and we cannot suppose to know the name of every person who might merit eternal life.

Edited by Birdsfan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but the path to destruction is a chosen one. We're told in the Bible that people who are in Hell are there because they chose to be there and although they are being tormented for eternity, they do not want to leave.

In Romans 2, Paul mentions those who have not heard the law. He says, "their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or perhaps excuse them on that day when, according to my Gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." If a person has never been exposed to the Word of God, they may still reach Heaven. If, however, they have heard the Word and have rejected it or failed to pursue it, they will face harsh judgment.

I think the main thing we can all agree on is that our minds are not God's mind, and we cannot suppose to know the name of every person who might merit eternal life.

I agree that the path is a chosen one--they've chosen to reject Jesus & his free gift of grace. That's kind of the point I was trying to make--that Jesus' death is a sacrifice for all, but not all will accept that sacrifice. Some choose to reject grace.

And I definitely agree on God being the judge, because only He perfectly knows each individual's heart, exposure, opportunities, etc. And it goes back to my original point that none of us determine eternal destination for anyone. But if someone comes and asks how can they get to heaven, I'm giving them the path Jesus provided for us.

I would suggest that there is a HUGE difference between true and literal. My son remembers conversations verbatim - it is exhausting. My wife remembers the spirit and tone of conversations. When she repeats a story it is always true, but it is rarely literal.

The Bible never claims to be literal. Scripture says it was God breathed, but so am I.

I would suggest that there is a HUGE difference between true and literal. My son remembers conversations verbatim - it is exhausting. My wife remembers the spirit and tone of conversations. When she repeats a story it is always true, but it is rarely literal.

The Bible never claims to be literal. Scripture says it was God breathed, but so am I.

So when someone comes to you asking how they get to heaven, what answer do you provide them with?

So when someone comes to you asking how they get to heaven, what answer do you provide them with?

I would tell them how I believe that I am going and share with them my relationship with Jesus and what that means. Then I would hope that they would share their path with me.

I would not tell them they were going to hell if they didn't agree with me.

The answer I would give is simple...."No one on Earth truly knows, and don't listen to those who try to tell you differently."

I would tell them how I believe that I am going and share with them my relationship with Jesus and what that means. Then I would hope that they would share their path with me.

I would not tell them they were going to hell if they didn't agree with me.

I believe I've seen both of you reference the Bible & what it means to you. A question I have: What do you make of Jesus' words in John 14, when he claimed to be "the way, the truth, and the life" and that "no man comes to the Father except through me."

Not a rhetorical question. Just want to know how you interpret statement (and others like it).

I believe I've seen both of you reference the Bible & what it means to you. A question I have: What do you make of Jesus' words in John 14, when he claimed to be "the way, the truth, and the life" and that "no man comes to the Father except through me."

Not a rhetorical question. Just want to know how you interpret statement (and others like it).

I assume I think it means the same thing you do. That Jesus is the way to eternal life. However that's my opinion. It's not a fact. I don't believe that necessarily means that those who aren't Christian are going to Hell.

What if they're not on any particular path?

Everyone is on a path. Now it may not be the path you wish they were on, or it may not be what you would even consider a path, but they're on their path. Just as you're on your path, and I on mine. No two people's are the same. No one person's path is the universially "right" path either.

I assume I think it means the same thing you do. That Jesus is the way to eternal life. However that's my opinion. It's not a fact. I don't believe that necessarily means that those who aren't Christian are going to Hell.

Okay, thanks.

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to pose the same question to you that I did Ace...If someone comes to you asking how they get to heaven, do you point them to Jesus? Or something else?

Thanks for answering these, by the way.

Okay, thanks.

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to pose the same question to you that I did Ace...If someone comes to you asking how they get to heaven, do you point them to Jesus? Or something else?

Thanks for answering these, by the way.

Nope. I tell them no one truly knows how you get to heaven. If they then ask me what I believe, I'll share my beliefs, but I surely won't offer them without being asked.

Now keep in mind my biggest turnoff with religions, ESPECIALLY CHRISTIANITY, is the "shove it down your throat" mentality of the majority of them. A huge turnoff. If I don't ask a person for their opinion or beliefs, please don't offer them to me. Easily my biggest pet peeve.

I look at it like this...I have come to the belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God & that his death & resurrection provides salvation from sin for the whole world. That's not something I made up on my own. I've gathered that from the words of the Bible--a book that I believe is inspired by God Himself. There are numerous passages from Scripture that reveal Jesus as "the way" or as the "one name" by which we must be saved, etc. Some of those passages are direct quotes from Jesus himself. In addition, just before Jesus ascended into heaven, he commanded his followers to go and "make disciples of all nations."

Now, do I know this for a 100% fact? Honestly, no I can't. But, the Bible also tells me that this is where faith comes into play. According to the writer of Hebrews, faith can be defined as "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." When the risen Jesus appeared to Thomas, Thomas touched his Savior's scars and came to belief. Jesus blessed him for that belief and then added, "Blessed are those who don't see and yet believe." He's speaking, obviously, of those who weren't eyewitnesses of his life, death, & resurrection. In other words, us.

With all of that in mind, I see it as my commission to point as many people to Jesus as I can ("Go make disciples of all nations"). If he is the Son of God; if his death & resurrection indeed save people from all their sins, then I don't see what other option I have. Will that result in people labeling me as narrow-minded? Without question. Will I always present that message of Jesus in a way that would honor him? I doubt it.

Where I and many other Christians are most guilty, I would imagine, is in our presentation. I believe the best way to point people to Jesus is through actions, first and foremost. Jesus also said, "Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise the Father in heaven." Words are important, but actions are much greater. That's a lesson I'm continually having to learn and remind myself of. So I see it as my task to point people to Jesus through my actions. Words will eventually come into play, but they must be preceded by my actions.

So yes, I firmly believe Jesus to be "the way, the truth and the life" and that "no man comes to the Father" except through him (John 14). In my actions & to a lesser extent my words, he has commissioned me to point people to him. What happens to people after they die is solely up to God and to Him alone. As I've said in this thread, only He knows every person's heart, opportunities, exposure to the Gospel, etc. I trust Him to be a perfect judge of someone's eternal destination. But my part, according to Jesus, is to simply point people to him.

That obviously will not resonate with everyone, and some may be severely offended by my worldview. To those folks, I respect them and will do my best to treat them the way I myself would want to be treated.

Finally, having said all of that, I really appreciate everyone's input in this thread & others like it. P&R isn't always the most peace-loving place in the world, and I know I've contributed to that at times. And to those who hold the exact opposite belief of me and others like me, I am grateful your feedback, and I'm not just blowing smoke in saying that. I look forward to our continued discussions & debates.