Another private school post season play vote?

SportsGuy41017

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050908/NEWS0103/509080367/1059/NEWS01

"The issue was resurrected in April by Mitch Crump.

Crump, superintendent of Meade County Schools (just west of Louisville) is chairman of the superintendents group in that region.

In a letter to the KHSAA, Crump said private schools have advantages over public schools, such as being allowed to offer financial aid and having more money to spend on athletics."

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally do not post critical comments about people and can't get into the merits of this proposal, but I was absolutely sick to read Superintendent Sanders state that a reason for the proposal was to allow more kids to attain a state championship. GARBAGE AND WORSE. Heck why don't they just give every one in all classes at his schools A's so they can all attain honor roll too. What a boneheaded idea. Great message for our kids: gee we are going to water down the meaning of a state champion, but maybe you'll get to be one! Just what our future leaders need to be learning as they get ready to enter a more and more competitive society: we want to make things easier for you. Not! I hope GT and JD are just as sickened with the Super's comments as I am.

Do not agree with this proposal but I do think the State Residency proposal should be reintroduced. As Covington Superintendent said the private schools families pay taxes and KHSAA is state supported. However, out of state families pay absolutely no taxes and are not entitled to any state benefits.

I believe that some of the great athletic talent across the state should be afforded an opportunity of winning a state championship ring. I know of one young man (a fine young man w/ little or no athletic ability) that has 3 state championship rings - 2 in football and 1 in wrestling - and he didn't see one second of varsity play in football and spent very little time on the mat at meets. I think that all young men and women from Kentucky deserve an equal chance of winning a championship. Why should an individual get the prize when in reality they did not fully participate? Look at all of the public school athletes statewide that are multi-talented in more that one sport and give their all only to realize come the end of the season that they are out-numbered by the team roster and finances of a private school that has the capability of recruiting by offering "academic?" scholarships or assistance. I applaud the public school officials that are making a priority of bringing this sticky situation to the attention of the KHSAA and the general public.

Why can't they just make their kids work harder and do things right. Waht kids does Meade Cty. lose? They just beat X 3-4 years ago in the playoffs and lost to Male, does he want Male out also? The whole thing makes me sick. Time for the RPKHSAA.

I believe that some of the great athletic talent across the state should be afforded an opportunity of winning a state championship ring. I know of one young man (a fine young man w/ little or no athletic ability) that has 3 state championship rings - 2 in football and 1 in wrestling - and he didn't see one second of varsity play in football and spent very little time on the mat at meets. I think that all young men and women from Kentucky deserve an equal chance of winning a championship. Why should an individual get the prize when in reality they did not fully participate? Look at all of the public school athletes statewide that are multi-talented in more that one sport and give their all only to realize come the end of the season that they are out-numbered by the team roster and finances of a private school that has the capability of recruiting by offering "academic?" scholarships or assistance. I applaud the public school officials that are making a priority of bringing this sticky situation to the attention of the KHSAA and the general public.

Your example is shameful and probably represents the feelings of a number of losing programs. The kid you mentioned was a part of the team. He practiced with the team and was ready if called on. This attitude is taught at schools like Trinity and X, and is a big part of their success. I would suggest that instead of trying to eliminate the competition, try to emulate the competition.

Also, if you are aware of any recruiting being done by any school please report it. If not, please don't bring your rumors and innuendo to this board.

In a letter to the KHSAA, Crump said private schools have advantages over public schools, such as being allowed to offer financial aid.

"Offer financial aid??!!" Has he forgotten that EVERY student in his schools gets a FULL RIDE? There is no need for financial aid at public schools, because the gov't pays for EVERYTHING: classes, books, transportation, even lunches as needed.

What planet is this guy on?

"Offer financial aid??!!" Has he forgotten that EVERY student in his schools gets a FULL RIDE? There is no need for financial aid at public schools, because the gov't pays for EVERYTHING: classes, books, transportation, even lunches as needed.

What planet is this guy on?

Technically, not. Most schools charge a book fee and some other fees. It might amount to just a few dollars at most public schools but technically not a free ride.

Technically, not. Most schools charge a book fee and some other fees. It might amount to just a few dollars at most public schools but technically not a free ride.

Close enough, though. When public schools start charging book prices close to what colleges charge, then let's continue this thought.

Super. First the private schools will be voted out, followed by a separate division for public schools with open enrollment once they win too many of the public school titles. Sorry public school kids, some of the adults would rather have you give up instead of working on ways to be the best. They think they're helping you out, but I think they're selling you short.

I am all for the Privates removing themselves from the KHSAA if they split the championships. They want the best for both worlds while appeasing the crybabies. X and Trinity and Lex Cath could survive on their own. They would only be able to travel with a limited roster to out of state games but they could make it work. How about there being two X vs. Trinity games a year guarenteed. One is Sept. and one on Thanksgiving weekend. It would be great. Also the schools could split the gate on both, and then they have even more money. Then there will be no juristiction and X and Trinity could build dorms and go to Boyle and Meade and Hopkinsville and Highlands and get the best players in the state to move to Lou. and play for them. We could build some real national powers.

First off in true teenager spirit, WHATEVER :rolleyes: on the public school kids not working hard. You can work as hard as you want but sometimes it is not going to happen. The private schools do not have the market on the coaches and the kids working hard.

The private schools do have an advantage with GOOD parent support, resources and usually within a reasonable distance to participate in offseason leagues.

Besides X, Trinity and Cov Cath how many Private schools have won a State Championship in football since 1980?

Football probably not many. But you check the KHSAA website and the championships for the other sports and you will see a DOMINATION by private schools. At one time, I believe 2 or 3 years ago, Sacred Heart in Louisville held the girls TEAM trophies in volleyball, soccer, basketball and competed in the state tournament in softball.