September 8, 200521 yr It interesting that Lloyd is supporting this measure as it would only potentially affect them in football. Basketball and baseball would not be affected. Is this a track issue since St Henry and Brossart dominate the small schools? Unless Belfry and Ft Campbell have gone private without me hearing about it, Lloyd still will not be playing for any more football state championships if this measure were to pass. IMO it's sour grapes over someone deciding to go to CCH 5 years ago...
September 8, 200521 yr I believe that some of the great athletic talent across the state should be afforded an opportunity of winning a state championship ring. I know of one young man (a fine young man w/ little or no athletic ability) that has 3 state championship rings - 2 in football and 1 in wrestling - and he didn't see one second of varsity play in football and spent very little time on the mat at meets. I think that all young men and women from Kentucky deserve an equal chance of winning a championship. Why should an individual get the prize when in reality they did not fully participate? Look at all of the public school athletes statewide that are multi-talented in more that one sport and give their all only to realize come the end of the season that they are out-numbered by the team roster and finances of a private school that has the capability of recruiting by offering "academic?" scholarships or assistance. I applaud the public school officials that are making a priority of bringing this sticky situation to the attention of the KHSAA and the general public. So you are saying that if Mayfield had won the Championship last year with only 29 players and only about 15 or 16 got plenty of playing time then only those 15 or 16 should have gotten rings. Those other players practiced just as hard everyday just like those starters. The other players were the 2nd team. Just because a player is not a starter doesn’t mean he doesn’t fully participate!!! That is a slap in the face to any player of a team who doesn’t start.
September 8, 200521 yr IMO it's sour grapes over someone deciding to go to CCH 5 years ago... Surely you jest. A school superintendent wants to change the rules due to Nick Sheffield and his family choosing CCH? How would the new measure change that?
September 8, 200521 yr I recall when this quote was made. It is a little high handed to say that when, in fact he was and has been in the school administration at NC/NCC when there were some major issues regarding certain priests. So, should the response be, higher more responsible and moral teachers? Fair is fair. Sure. Did NC have a problem with priests? If not that is not a fair statement. Also Jimmy Swaggart committed Adultry with Jessica Hawn.
September 8, 200521 yr She was right. She usually is. Or that is the stance I take and it keeps me out of trouble.
September 8, 200521 yr Surely you jest. A school superintendent wants to change the rules due to Nick Sheffield and his family choosing CCH? How would the new measure change that? I wish I did. In talking to those in the know when the issue was raised last year, that was the hard line factor that they kept saying. I argued quite a bit on it, but for whatever reason, there is something there. As to question #2, it wouldn't...
September 8, 200521 yr That means little when the perception is already in place... I think gohard was agreeing with my wife that I talk too much.
September 8, 200521 yr I think goherd was agreeing with my wife that I talk too much. I was trying to help you. Quit talking... :sssh: :lol:
September 8, 200521 yr Sure. Did NC have a problem with priests? If not that is not a fair statement. Also Jimmy Swaggart committed Adultry with Jessica Hawn. Uhh, they in fact had and have a huge problem.
September 8, 200521 yr Contrary to what some believe, football may not be the only sport that is a concern for the superintendents. THere are a lot of sports that private schools DOMINATE. St. X or Trinity has won 5 of the last 6 boys team state golf championships and 4 of the last 6 individual boys state golf championships. 1996 through 2001 there was a private school playing for the state championship in girls soccer. Khsaa does not have state champions listed since 2001 but I know Sacred Heart has one it at least once. In boys soccer, of the 10 teams from 1997 to 2001 that played for the state championship 7 of the were private schools. past volleyball champions are not listed on the Khsaa website.
September 8, 200521 yr Ft.Campbell and Ft.Knox is at a greater advantage then anyone. I think we need to look into this. What if you were a 2 star General and you love football. You want to boost up you high school football program. What if he said I would like a oh 6-2 270lbs LB from Virginia. So why don't we transfer this guy's dad or mom to Ft.Campbell. Oh we need a RB. Let's see I think Florida might have a good RB. Let's transfer Sgt. "John Doe". Amazing- isn't it, yet nobody says one word about them. Is it because they haven't won a championship in over 20 years. If this is the case then it is just plain jealousy that Trinity and St.X are successful. Bottom line public schools need to quit whinning, you get good pay(in some areas), great!!! coaches pay, and great health benefits.
September 8, 200521 yr Contrary to what some believe, football may not be the only sport that is a concern for the superintendents. THere are a lot of sports that private schools DOMINATE. You are correct....I applaud those kids who play baseball and don't make the team, the basketball players, the volleyball players, the field hockey players and the softball players as well. Their participation in the tryouts push the best to compete at a higher level. The fact that these kids stay in these schools say a lot about the fact that there's more to their decision to attend a private school than the sports. But, of course those kids who don't make it and stay don't seem to be a bone of contention to the public schools. Why aren't people clammoring about all the would-be athletes walking the halls at private schools that aren't playing sports at a public school? Is it because the public schools only want the players who made the team?
September 8, 200521 yr Ft.Campbell and Ft.Knox is at a greater advantage then anyone. I think we need to look into this. What if you were a 2 star General and you love football. You want to boost up you high school football program. What if he said I would like a oh 6-2 270lbs LB from Virginia. So why don't we transfer this guy's dad or mom to Ft.Campbell. Oh we need a RB. Let's see I think Florida might have a good RB. Let's transfer Sgt. "John Doe". Amazing- isn't it, yet nobody says one word about them. Is it because they haven't won a championship in over 20 years. If this is the case then it is just plain jealousy that Trinity and St.X are successful. Bottom line public schools need to quit whinning, you get good pay(in some areas), great!!! coaches pay, and great health benefits. Nice, wide brush you use to paint with. Bet you cover a lot of area with those blanket statements. Public schools need to quit whinning.? Are you able to recall the public schools voted it down last time it was presented? Had it not been for the public schools, the measure would have passed. So, be a little considerate instead of assuming.
September 8, 200521 yr I have looked on both sides of the issue. I have worked on both sides. Let's give the pros and cons of both that is all you can do. I don't think getting rid of the Catholic schools in the KHSAA is a good idea, especially for public schools. I don't think Male and Lex. Paul Dunbar or Scott Co. are going to bring 35,000 fans to 4A game. Big gate for KHSAA and Big money. Also like I said before you are labeled State Champs of Public Schools or State champs of Private schools. There is not a true champion and it wouldn't be right for kids to wear rings and two differnent teams wearing 4A state champs.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.