Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another private school post season play vote?

Featured Replies

It is simply not that simple. It might be for the 4A public city schools but it is not that simple for the rural county schools.

 

Good example is golf. $2500 to be a member of the country club in my county. Only 5 of my 14 golfers are members. Can't afford it. So they get to play 2 months out of the year. I feel safe in saying that Notre Dame, Bishop Brossart, Villa Madonna, Lex Catholic, etc. more than 40% of their golfers find themselves as members of a country club.

 

I am NOT saying separate the two, but saying the situation is unequal and there is a distinct advantage. So when you say simply hire better coaches, you got to remember that rural, public school coaches have to do MORE and a BETTER job than the private school coaches, because the private school coaches are usually starting with better polished athletes. Unless you feel that a golfer can be just as good playing 2 months out of the year vs. a golfer than can play from April through October everyday of the week.

 

I play golf several times a week on local municipal courses. I see a great many young high school golfers playing these same courses. Kids can play for next to nothing so your argument doesn't hold water. These courses have turned out some of the best young golfers in Louisville.

  • Replies 410
  • Views 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frankly, at this point, I am to the point of saying the privates just leave, do their own thing, continue their traditions, build new traditions, increase their dominance and sit back and listen as the public schools keep whining about each other, and the fact that now the privates can recruit, give athletic scholarships, etc.

 

I'm firmly convinced that our society has come to the point that everyone expects that everything is equal at all points in life, and I think that's reflected in this issue. So, I'll continue to support the private schools fervently....whatever happens to their membership in the KHSAA. I'll continue to support the hundreds of kids who play sports, but never see any playing time because of the sheer number of kids ahead of them on the depth chart. Those kids who come out, practice, get the stuffing knocked out of them by the first team in practice, and thank them for helping our starters be the players they are. Because those scout team kids....they could start at some other schools. But they want to be a part of the tradition of their chosen private school. Takes a lot of character to play, practice and keep getting the stuffing knocked out of you day-in-day-out, knowing you'll probably never hear your name called on a Friday night.

 

 

Good Point!!!! :thumb: :banana:

You all do realize that this argument will never be settled. Say what you will about the real parents of the private school but the PERCEPTION is that it is the rich kids vs. the poor kids. Right or wrong that is the perception. And that perception carries right on into adult life.

 

In New Orleans, supposedly it was a poverty/race issue that kept them from being evacuated. Hilary was on their saying to not give the tax breaks to the "rich" but roll them back and use the funds to help the "poor" in New Orleans.

 

It is an argument/debate/fight that will not be solved. It will just move to another area of our society.

I play golf several times a week on local municipal courses. I see a great many young high school golfers playing these same courses. Kids can play for next to nothing so your argument doesn't hold water. These courses have turned out some of the best young golfers in Louisville.

 

You people in Louisville and Lexington have to realize that the world does not revolve around you. My posts have alluded to rural counties several times. There is NO PUBLIC GOLF COURSES IN most rural counties in this state. So the option you mention in LOUISVILLE is not an option in RURAL COUNTIES.

You all do realize that this argument will never be settled. Say what you will about the real parents of the private school but the PERCEPTION is that it is the rich kids vs. the poor kids. Right or wrong that is the perception. And that perception carries right on into adult life.

 

In New Orleans, supposedly it was a poverty/race issue that kept them from being evacuated. Hilary was on their saying to not give the tax breaks to the "rich" but roll them back and use the funds to help the "poor" in New Orleans.

 

It is an argument/debate/fight that will not be solved. It will just move to another area of our society.

 

 

You do realize that most private school kids are NOT rich, don't you? The perception is completely erroneous, and the fact that no one will take the time to investigate this perception for validity is the fault of the person who carries the perception, not the kids who attend the schools. I don't think that the private schools should abandon their committment to excellence at all levels because there are people who have an incorrect perception. It's not the private schools' responisibility to correct the perceptions. But, in fact, any of the school's websites will clearly explain, as will any parents you speak with, will tell you the truth. But the fact is, many people are more comfortable believing an incorrect perception, than facing the truth.

As the great Coach Schneider said a few years back to all public school administrators. "Hire better coaches".

 

Also when someone is crowned State champion is it going to say Public School Champion or Private School Champion. To me that is like calling yourself the Intercontinental Champion in the WWE.

 

I recall when this quote was made. It is a little high handed to say that when, in fact he was and has been in the school administration at NC/NCC when there were some major issues regarding certain priests. So, should the response be, higher more responsible and moral teachers? Fair is fair.

But the fact is, many people are more comfortable believing an incorrect perception, than facing the truth.

I've learned over recent weeks that this is a useless argument. You'll never convince anyone of something they already "know"...

You do realize that most private school kids are NOT rich, don't you? The perception is completely erroneous, and the fact that no one will take the time to investigate this perception for validity is the fault of the person who carries the perception, not the kids who attend the schools. I don't think that the private schools should abandon their committment to excellence at all levels because there are people who have an incorrect perception. It's not the private schools' responisibility to correct the perceptions. But, in fact, any of the school's websites will clearly explain, as will any parents you speak with, will tell you the truth. But the fact is, many people are more comfortable believing an incorrect perception, than facing the truth.

 

Most definitely, I understand that but the perception is not that. And I agree with your post. But that same perception permeates every part of our society and is a driving force in almost every issue our society faces. I have heard the argument that if you outlaw abortions only the rich will be able to get abortions and you will stick the poor with unwanted children.

 

I am not arguing against you, I am saying this is a Don Quixote windmill. It is an argument that you will never win because the basis of it is the "rich" gets all the breaks and the "poor" is the rich man's steppingstone. While you can convince me that private schools are not a rich person's school. Some you will not convince. NEVER. Even if you showed them stats to back up your argument, you will not convince them. It is what they WANT to believe.

 

I would say that I believe private schools draw the VAST majority of their students from middle class and up. I do not believe that most private schools have a free/reduced lunch population of over 60% that a great many public schools do have.

I've learned over recent weeks that this is a useless argument. You'll never convince anyone of something they already "know"...

Man you said what I said just with a lot less words. My wife always tells me I talk too much. :D

Frankly, at this point, I am to the point of saying the privates just leave, do their own thing, continue their traditions, build new traditions, increase their dominance and sit back and listen as the public schools keep whining about each other, and the fact that now the privates can recruit, give athletic scholarships, etc.

 

I'm firmly convinced that our society has come to the point that everyone expects that everything is equal at all points in life, and I think that's reflected in this issue. So, I'll continue to support the private schools fervently....whatever happens to their membership in the KHSAA. I'll continue to support the hundreds of kids who play sports, but never see any playing time because of the sheer number of kids ahead of them on the depth chart. Those kids who come out, practice, get the stuffing knocked out of them by the first team in practice, and thank them for helping our starters be the players they are. Because those scout team kids....they could start at some other schools. But they want to be a part of the tradition of their chosen private school. Takes a lot of character to play, practice and keep getting the stuffing knocked out of you day-in-day-out, knowing you'll probably never hear your name called on a Friday night.

Amen! You go girl!

Did anyone catch this shot:

 

Bowman said local private schools follow all the rules of the KHSAA.

 

"In my 16 years as superintendent, I never remember any of our schools being suspended or fined or have to forfeit games because of misconduct."

Man you said what I said just with a lot less words. My wife always tells me I talk too much. :D

 

She was right.

It interesting that Lloyd is supporting this measure

Unless Belfry and Ft Campbell have gone private without me hearing about it, Lloyd still will not be playing for any more football state championships if this measure were to pass.

She was right.

That means little when the perception is already in place...

I just dont understand the thinking that parochial schools have access to more money than public schools .Its just not true . For the vast majority of these schools tuition is paid, money is raised through various fund raisers and they get money from the dioceses. I know that at Newport Central Catholic this is the case. The public schools have acess to public monies that the parochials do not. a lot more money. By the way thanks to all who watched the labor day fireworks from the hill .The money collected there goes to our tuition assistance program and this year 10% went to Katrina victims. This program (tuition assistance) helps anyone who needs it and an independent committee determines who gets it without knowing who the families are.

 

To make a seperate state championship for just the parochial schools will make all state championships a joke.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.