Which schools play varsity starters in JV games?

theguru

Another thread got me thinking about this.

Maybe my thinking is "off" on this issue but I am sure there are many hardworking players that never see meaningful downs in varsity football games along with many up and coming players that are varsity backups that should be getting the reps in JV games.

I do not understand the logic of playing varsity starters in JV games.

Anyone? Agree? Disagree?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in high school we would have a few young first year starters get some JV reps to smooth out any issues in a less tense game environment. I’m not too surprised at the general practice of having inexperienced starters play JV.

I could see where some small schools do it since don’t have numbers. I don’t think big 6A schools should do it though.

This. I played at a smaller 4A school (post six class restructure) and this was relatively common amongst our opponents. At larger schools I’d think it’s pointless at best, and harmful to a team’s future at worst.

I thought Guru was out of his mind when I read his opening post. I've been to untold number of JV football games and it is extremely rare that I have ever seen a varsity starter playing in a JV football game. The only exception I can think of is a young starter on defense who is the future quarterback and he gets his quarterback reps in a JV game.

I thought Guru was out of his mind when I read his opening post. I've been to untold number of JV football games and it is extremely rare that I have ever seen a varsity starter playing in a JV football game. The only exception I can think of is a young starter on defense who is the future quarterback and he gets his quarterback reps in a JV game.

I am sure you are not alone and neither are we:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/technology/us-government-navy-381576.html

In general, you would try not to do that. But sometimes if a kid starts one side of the ball, he will get reps on the other side for a JV game. Some times a school will do so to field a JV team. If they don't use a few varsity starters, they can't field a team and play the game, and the JV guys miss out playing a JV game.

When it is wrong... playing a varsity starter so that you win a JV game.