Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Which schools play varsity starters in JV games?

Featured Replies

Another thread got me thinking about this.

 

Maybe my thinking is "off" on this issue but I am sure there are many hardworking players that never see meaningful downs in varsity football games along with many up and coming players that are varsity backups that should be getting the reps in JV games.

 

I do not understand the logic of playing varsity starters in JV games.

 

Anyone? Agree? Disagree?

  • Replies 34
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in high school we would have a few young first year starters get some JV reps to smooth out any issues in a less tense game environment. I’m not too surprised at the general practice of having inexperienced starters play JV.

I could see where some small schools do it since don’t have numbers. I don’t think big 6A schools should do it though.

I could see where some small schools do it since don’t have numbers. I don’t think big 6A schools should do it though.

 

This. I played at a smaller 4A school (post six class restructure) and this was relatively common amongst our opponents. At larger schools I’d think it’s pointless at best, and harmful to a team’s future at worst.

I thought Guru was out of his mind when I read his opening post. I've been to untold number of JV football games and it is extremely rare that I have ever seen a varsity starter playing in a JV football game. The only exception I can think of is a young starter on defense who is the future quarterback and he gets his quarterback reps in a JV game.

  • Author
I thought Guru was out of his mind when I read his opening post. I've been to untold number of JV football games and it is extremely rare that I have ever seen a varsity starter playing in a JV football game. The only exception I can think of is a young starter on defense who is the future quarterback and he gets his quarterback reps in a JV game.

 

I am sure you are not alone and neither are we:

 

http://bluegrasspreps.com/technology/us-government-navy-381576.html

Ballard actually played an Allstate linebacker in JV this season.

In general, you would try not to do that. But sometimes if a kid starts one side of the ball, he will get reps on the other side for a JV game. Some times a school will do so to field a JV team. If they don't use a few varsity starters, they can't field a team and play the game, and the JV guys miss out playing a JV game.

 

When it is wrong... playing a varsity starter so that you win a JV game.

I only agree if it is a starter that is playing on the other side of the ball in which they are not a starter. Even then it should be on an as needed basis for having enough people to field a team.

Ballard actually played an Allstate linebacker in JV this season.

 

Was it for disciplinary reasons?

Bowling Green doesn’t. The only time they did was for Tre Fant because they wanted him to practice returning punts before putting him as punt returner in a real varsity game. He did nothing else besides return punts.

Was it for disciplinary reasons?

 

I don’t know the reason. I suspect it was to have the best chance to win the game. They played multiple varsity starters. They played varsity starters all year long on JV.

My only issue is when a team starts seniors in a JV game and that seems to happen a lot.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.