Ashton Hagans Returning for Sophomore Season

ACfan4

Kentucky starting point guard Ashton Hagans will return for a sophomore season. He showed he can be an elite defender during stretches of the season but will have to improve on his shooting and finishing ability in the offseason. He could work his way into the first round of the draft in 2020 with a good season.

I hope we see some steady improvement from Hagans. He frustrated me quite a bit in that Elite Eight game against Auburn, but I have to keep reminding myself that he should be wrapping up his senior year of high school.

Curious if this will affect Quickley or Baker at all.

I’d like to see Herro make a similar decision but I think that’s highly unlikely. He’s projected as a 20-25 pick in the first round.

It's hard to turn down a guanrteed contract. There is always the risk if he comes back of getting injured and hurting his stock. It just comes down what he wants as player. He will never be the guy again in the NBA. If he returns next year he will be the guy and a chance to be an All American. Before getting paid and having a good NBA career, but always just more as a role player than a star.

Best and only decision that should have been made by him. He's an excellent defender and with an improved offensive game he will be most likely ready to leave after one more year. All of the players remaining on roster who's last name isn't Washington need to return! While Herro is a better than average shooter he needs to work on his defense after viewing what Harper from Auburn exposed. Again, that was only 1 game but if another year will be to his benefit. If UK keeps that roster in tact and brings in 1-2 more blue chippers he will have the solid experience needed to get back to the Final 4 and be in a position to win it all IMO.

Best and only decision that should have been made by him. He's an excellent defender and with an improved offensive game he will be most likely ready to leave after one more year. All of the players remaining on roster who's last name isn't Washington need to return! While Herro is a better than average shooter he needs to work on his defense after viewing what Harper from Auburn exposed. Again, that was only 1 game but if another year will be to his benefit. If UK keeps that roster in tact and brings in 1-2 more blue chippers he will have the solid experience needed to get back to the Final 4 and be in a position to win it all IMO.

If Herro is going to be a 1st rounder, which all indications show that he will be. Then no he does not NEED to return. A 1st round pick gets a guaranteed contract. All the things you said he can work on, he can work on while in the NBA. He would be getting paid millions of dollars to work on and play basketball, with no classes or anything else to worry about. So there is no needing to come back to college for Herro or Johnson. If they were to get hurt next year, then that could make their stock fall.

If a kid is a first rounder, there is no needing to come back. At that point it just becomes do you want to come back and be the guy for one last time, and possibly get drafted a little higher before being just a role player in the NBA.

Edited by futurecoach

If Herro is going to be a 1st rounder, which all indications show that he will be. Then no he does not NEED to return. A 1st round pick gets a guaranteed contract. All the things you said he can work on, he can work on while in the NBA. He would be getting paid millions of dollars to work on and play basketball, with no classes or anything else to worry about. So there is no needing to come back to college for Herro or Johnson. If they were to get hurt next year, then that could make their stock fall.

If a kid is a first rounder, there is no needing to come back. At that point it just becomes do you want to come back and be the guy for one last time, and possibly get drafted a little higher before being just a role player in the NBA.

I agree with your assessment but the question is the bolded. Many experts have him listed late first round which means he could slip to the early second. Is he one of the top 30 players in the United States, absolutely. The question is whether he is one of the top draft eligible players internationally? Someone will most likely take a chance on him because of his shooting ability but I believe he could be the go to man for Kentucky next year and put him in lottery status with one more year of being the feature guy. Again, no dog in the fight whatsoever and he is a shooter/scorer and has the talent to play in the NBA and will get paid one way or another.

Where was PJ slotted to go last year before he made the decision to return ?

PJ Washington declares for 218 NBA Draft - A Sea Of Blue

From this link:

Washington is listed 40th on ESPN’s latest big board, and 60th on Sports Illustrated’s. NBADraft.net does not have him getting drafted in their latest mock.

Washington was not a projected first rounder last year and was projected a lot lower last year than Herro is projected this year.