Rick Barnes to UCLA?

LRCW

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be unfortunate for Tennessee but money talks. Tennessee is losing a lot of talent on this years roster.

Interesting turn of events for Rick Barnes, ran out of Texas, hired at Tennessee and making 1 million dollars more already. Coming off a season where he was coach of the year and would likely get a significant raise at UCLA.

At the very least he's about to get a raise at Tennessee.

I'd take my Tennessee raise and stay in Knoxville, if I was him. UCLA just doesn't seem to be that attractive anymore, kinda like Nebraska Football is now.

I think UCLA'S time has passed, they may be competitive every now and then...but they'll not break into the UK, KU, Duke, UNC group anytime soon.

I think UCLA'S time has passed, they may be competitive every now and then...but they'll not break into the UK, KU, Duke, UNC group anytime soon.

Last 5 recruiting class rankings for UCLA.

2018: 6

2017: 5

2016: 11

2015: 24

2014: 7

Even with back to back poor hires, UCLA is still the top brand on the west coast. They are going to get enough talent to make noise as soon as they get a coach that has any chops at all.

From the start, Dixon was probably the best fit, but they have seemingly mangled that situation beyond comprehension. Barnes could work as a short term answer.

It's just insane that a job with that much juice could continue to botch the hiring process so many times with mind numbing precision.

Edited by gametime

Last 5 recruiting class rankings for UCLA.

2018: 6

2017: 5

2016: 11

2015: 24

2014: 7

Even with back to back poor hires, UCLA is still the top brand on the west coast. They are going to get enough talent to make noise as soon as they get a coach that has any chops at all.

From the start, Dixon was probably the best fit, but they have seemingly mangled that situation beyond comprehension. Barnes could work as a short term answer.

It's just insane that a job with that much juice could continue to botch the hiring process so many times with mind numbing precision.

Is it the AD, President of the University or what?

They would with the right coach. UCLA is easier to recruit to than every single one of those places.

Good question. I wouldn't have botched the Cal offer to start. After that I'd probably look at Bruce Pearl and maybe Rick Pitino.

I think Pearl would be a great hire for them. He has had success at schools that are not even basketball schools. So I would think he would really consider it, because he has never had a chance to be a true "basketball" school. Plus he would do what he has done at all his spots, and that is bring excitement back to the school.

I think both the names you listed would be great choices. Yes both come with some baggage, but UCLA is kind of in the spot UK was in before they hired Cal. They need to take a shot at a guy who may have some baggage, but can really get things turned around quick and bring excitement.

I think Pearl would be a great hire for them. He has had success at schools that are not even basketball schools. So I would think he would really consider it, because he has never had a chance to be a true "basketball" school. Plus he would do what he has done at all his spots, and that is bring excitement back to the school.

I think both the names you listed would be great choices. Yes both come with some baggage, but UCLA is kind of in the spot UK was in before they hired Cal. They need to take a shot at a guy who may have some baggage, but can really get things turned around quick and bring excitement.

I think a good coach with a big personality could win early and often at UCLA.

Edited by TheDeuce

I saw a article today that only said that Barnes had said he would accept UCLA job if offered. So I guess they have not offered anything yet but after that statement I guess they could go out and go after anyone they wanted and mayabe could always fall back to Barnes after that statement. lol