Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rick Barnes to UCLA?

Featured Replies

My Tennessee loving cousin says he’s afraid his Vols are going to lose him to UCLA.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be unfortunate for Tennessee but money talks. Tennessee is losing a lot of talent on this years roster.

 

Interesting turn of events for Rick Barnes, ran out of Texas, hired at Tennessee and making 1 million dollars more already. Coming off a season where he was coach of the year and would likely get a significant raise at UCLA.

 

At the very least he's about to get a raise at Tennessee.

I'd take my Tennessee raise and stay in Knoxville, if I was him. UCLA just doesn't seem to be that attractive anymore, kinda like Nebraska Football is now.

 

I think UCLA'S time has passed, they may be competitive every now and then...but they'll not break into the UK, KU, Duke, UNC group anytime soon.

I think UCLA'S time has passed, they may be competitive every now and then...but they'll not break into the UK, KU, Duke, UNC group anytime soon.

 

Last 5 recruiting class rankings for UCLA.

 

2018: 6

2017: 5

2016: 11

2015: 24

2014: 7

 

Even with back to back poor hires, UCLA is still the top brand on the west coast. They are going to get enough talent to make noise as soon as they get a coach that has any chops at all.

 

From the start, Dixon was probably the best fit, but they have seemingly mangled that situation beyond comprehension. Barnes could work as a short term answer.

 

It's just insane that a job with that much juice could continue to botch the hiring process so many times with mind numbing precision.

Edited by gametime

Last 5 recruiting class rankings for UCLA.

 

2018: 6

2017: 5

2016: 11

2015: 24

2014: 7

 

Even with back to back poor hires, UCLA is still the top brand on the west coast. They are going to get enough talent to make noise as soon as they get a coach that has any chops at all.

 

From the start, Dixon was probably the best fit, but they have seemingly mangled that situation beyond comprehension. Barnes could work as a short term answer.

 

It's just insane that a job with that much juice could continue to botch the hiring process so many times with mind numbing precision.

 

Is it the AD, President of the University or what?

I think UCLA'S time has passed, they may be competitive every now and then...but they'll not break into the UK, KU, Duke, UNC group anytime soon.

 

They would with the right coach. UCLA is easier to recruit to than every single one of those places.

They would with the right coach. UCLA is easier to recruit to than every single one of those places.

 

Who would be your hire?

Who would be your hire?

 

Good question. I wouldn't have botched the Cal offer to start. After that I'd probably look at Bruce Pearl and maybe Rick Pitino.

Good question. I wouldn't have botched the Cal offer to start. After that I'd probably look at Bruce Pearl and maybe Rick Pitino.

 

I think Pearl would be a great hire for them. He has had success at schools that are not even basketball schools. So I would think he would really consider it, because he has never had a chance to be a true "basketball" school. Plus he would do what he has done at all his spots, and that is bring excitement back to the school.

 

I think both the names you listed would be great choices. Yes both come with some baggage, but UCLA is kind of in the spot UK was in before they hired Cal. They need to take a shot at a guy who may have some baggage, but can really get things turned around quick and bring excitement.

I think Pearl would be a great hire for them. He has had success at schools that are not even basketball schools. So I would think he would really consider it, because he has never had a chance to be a true "basketball" school. Plus he would do what he has done at all his spots, and that is bring excitement back to the school.

 

I think both the names you listed would be great choices. Yes both come with some baggage, but UCLA is kind of in the spot UK was in before they hired Cal. They need to take a shot at a guy who may have some baggage, but can really get things turned around quick and bring excitement.

 

I think a good coach with a big personality could win early and often at UCLA.

Edited by TheDeuce

I saw a article today that only said that Barnes had said he would accept UCLA job if offered. So I guess they have not offered anything yet but after that statement I guess they could go out and go after anyone they wanted and mayabe could always fall back to Barnes after that statement. lol

I think a good coach with a big personality could win early and often at UCLA.

 

Then Pearl should be offered piles of money.

Not that Barnes is old, but the guy does turn 65 in July. Wonder how many years he has left in the tank?

Question: If Barnes takes the UCLA job, does Tennessee come calling on Bruce Pearl?, which would be his second stop at Tennessee.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.