Zan Payne to Walk-on at UK

I’m not sure how many are familiar with his story but Zan Payne played at Lexington Catholic and is the son of UK Assistant Coach Kenny Payne. Zan had a horrific knee injury in the last game of the regular season if I am not mistaken. A bad situation turned good for Zan as he wasn’t expected to play at UK and was going to go play somewhere else. After the knee injury it appears the best choice for him may be to play at UK after all.

Best wishes to Zan on a speedy recovery and an enjoyable time as a UK Wildcat.

According to Josh Moore of the Lexington Herald Leader, Zan Payne will take a medical redshirt his freshman year.

Zan Payne, son of Kenny Payne, will walk on at the University of Kentucky | Lexington Herald Leader

It doesn't bother me if Calipari fills his scholarship quota on the roster fully unlike last year.

If Payne and Brad Calipari get minutes when there are 2-3 open roster slots, then I'm not a fan. There should never be a reason why UK is down to eight scholarship players for any game.

It doesn't bother me if Calipari fills his scholarship quota on the roster fully unlike last year.

If Payne and Brad Calipari get minutes when there are 2-3 open roster slots, then I'm not a fan. There should never be a reason why UK is down to eight scholarship players for any game.

Well I also wouldn't say offer scholarships just to offer them to have a full roster. I'm sure he had no way of knowing both Baker and Vanderbilt would have basically season ending injuries. With those two they would have been 10 deep last year. Meaning having those other roster spots full with scholarship players just take up scholarships to offer to better players the next year. Like how this year they are trying to bring in a boat load of talented guys with many guys possibly reclassifying. If they filled it with more scholarship guys last year just to fill out. Then they wouldn't be available this year.

Last year was just bad luck with injuries. Which is not something that happens often.

Well I also wouldn't say offer scholarships just to offer them to have a full roster. I'm sure he had no way of knowing both Baker and Vanderbilt would have basically season ending injuries. With those two they would have been 10 deep last year. Meaning having those other roster spots full with scholarship players just take up scholarships to offer to better players the next year. Like how this year they are trying to bring in a boat load of talented guys with many guys possibly reclassifying. If they filled it with more scholarship guys last year just to fill out. Then they wouldn't be available this year.

Last year was just bad luck with injuries. Which is not something that happens often.

A top tier program in the nation can't be down to eight scholarship players when there are two empty scholarships. It just can't happen. You are allowed to carry 13 scholarship players. UK had 11 last year. Winyard, Baker, and Vanderbilt all missed significant time.

There is no reason why Calipari or his staff can't find someone like a Darius Miller or Derek Willis (doesn't have to be a kid from Kentucky) to fill the other two spots and coach up for 2-3 years. If it were me, I would fill the two spots with the two best perimeter shooters I could find.

A top tier program in the nation can't be down to eight scholarship players when there are two empty scholarships. It just can't happen. You are allowed to carry 13 scholarship players. UK had 11 last year. Winyard, Baker, and Vanderbilt all missed significant time.

There is no reason why Calipari or his staff can't find someone like a Darius Miller or Derek Willis (doesn't have to be a kid from Kentucky) to fill the other two spots and coach up for 2-3 years. If it were me, I would fill the two spots with the two best perimeter shooters I could find.

I get what you are saying. But as many have said about Wynard being a waste if a scholarship. People would say the same thing about them to. Also a Darius Miller came here because he knew he be playing right away. Typically a guy that good in Ky wouldn't come here if they don't think they will play for a few years. Hence the recruitment of Tandy currently.

So you chance filling two scholarships on guys who may or may not contribute in years 3 or 4. When you could have those scholarships to offer the best players in the country. Which is happening this off season because having open scholarships. Especially since they had no seniors last year. Theoretically they could have possibly had zero scholarships to offer this year to anyone if they filled out the roster last year, and no one decided to leave.

Last year sucked because of the injuries. However when you assume you will have 11 guys who could play. No reason to give a scholarship just to give one.

Easier said than done. A lot of times players of that caliber aren't going to want to come to Kentucky because they actually want to play and they know that will be difficult with the level of talent that will keep arriving each year.