Uber and Lyft drivers making $3.37/hr

ManOfTroy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can't be right. I'm smelling some faulty logic from the MIT geniuses. I know a few people who drive and there's no way this is right. Drivers, what's up?

Uber, Lyft Drivers Earning A Median Profit Of $3.37 Per Hour, Study Says : The Two-Way : NPR

I have often wondered how overall vehicle expenses will figure into the long term profit for most uber/lyft drivers.

I guess my question would be, what do you count as expenses? If I work from my home, I'm not counting my house payment, home owners insurance, taxes, etc. as a work expense. I think that is what they're doing here. The drivers already have a car and are paying insurance. Sure, gas is an obvious expense and "wear and tear" factors in.

I had a driver in Louisville tell me he makes a min of $16/hour. Meaning if he works for 4 hours had has 0 fares, Uber pays him $16/hour. I'm sure this varies by location.

They will do that for limited periods of time, but that is rare.

I use to drive for Uber a few years back. To make any kind of decent money you have to get a few 'surge' fares. If you are unfamiliar with what that means, it is a time where a lot of riders want rides but not a lot of drivers are around. You essentially get paid a premium for being in that area at that time. If you are not working during a high traffic time, it is very difficult to make a lot of money.

• 7 months later...