Uber and Lyft drivers making $3.37/hr

ManOfTroy

If I started at 12:01am Saturday morning and worked till 11:59 pm Saturday night I woukd make over $500. My car gets close to 40 miles to a gallon.

I have a really hard time believing that you have ever driven for Uber/Lift even close to 24 straight hours from 12:01am - 11:59pm on a Saturday.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I started at 12:01am Saturday morning and worked till 11:59 pm Saturday night I woukd make over $500. My car gets close to 40 miles to a gallon.

Oh, just a 24 hour shift? :lol2:

You still wouldn't PROFIT $500 in that time.

The national hourly average for Uber/Lyft drivers is $11 after factoring in driving expenses. In order to make $500 in a normal 24 hour period, you would have to AVERAGE more than DOUBLE the national average the entire time. Unlikely, to say the least. Especially if you aren't in NYC, LA, etc...

The last two times I went to Florida, I took an Uber from the airport. Both times my driver was an older retired person, and both times they gave me their numbers and offered to take me back to the airport “off the clock” at a cheaper rate. Both said they build up their own clientele on the side, mostly driving business people to and from the airport. The money is good, and you don’t have to worry about a drunk throwing up in your car.

I am curious to know what Uber/Lift would do if they knew.

BTW, last time I was there, I did call the guy (two days before) because I had a 4 am flight and was worried I couldn’t find a regular Uber at the hour. The guys agreed to come but forgot that morning. Almost missed my flight waiting on him, and then using Uber anyway.

I assume they would get fired, as they should. If you own a plumbing business and find out one of your workers is undercutting you on the side, then you would be gone.

Not to mention they are violating local laws as taxi services most likely are subject to additional licenses.

The national hourly average for Uber/Lyft drivers is $11 after factoring in driving expenses. In order to make $500 in a normal 24 hour period, you would have to AVERAGE more than DOUBLE the national average the entire time. Unlikely, to say the least. Especially if you aren't in NYC, LA, etc...

This was my original question to the $3.37/hr. I think they grossly miscalculate this. Are the car payment and car insurance figured in there? If so, why? They were going to have a car and insurance to begin with. That's like working from home but saying that my house payment, Duke bill, home owner's insurance, etc. are a business expense.

I have considered doing it myself and know a few guys doing it now. They all swear by it. One guy keeps detailed records and says he averages around $20/hr even when figuring in gas. I asked about other expenses and he said it's next to impossible to figure unless you track the exact mileage while driving Lyft and Uber.

Also, it's basically tax free because they expense everything based on the government mileage rate. A car with good gas mileage is obviously a must. They have talked to guys (at the airport lot, I think) who do it full time and up to 60 hours per week and have heard of one making $2000 in a week.

I have made $400 in 16 hours before.

Always been my belief that if you're in a line of work that is often tipped, you're better off not letting people know how well you may or may not do. Might give people the inclination to tip less or not at all because you must be doing well enough as is to pull $25 an hour on a side job.

This was my original question to the $3.37/hr. I think they grossly miscalculate this. Are the car payment and car insurance figured in there? If so, why? They were going to have a car and insurance to begin with. That's like working from home but saying that my house payment, Duke bill, home owner's insurance, etc. are a business expense.

I have considered doing it myself and know a few guys doing it now. They all swear by it. One guy keeps detailed records and says he averages around $20/hr even when figuring in gas. I asked about other expenses and he said it's next to impossible to figure unless you track the exact mileage while driving Lyft and Uber.

Also, it's basically tax free because they expense everything based on the government mileage rate. A car with good gas mileage is obviously a must. They have talked to guys (at the airport lot, I think) who do it full time and up to 60 hours per week and have heard of one making $2000 in a week.

I've done it in the past and still do it occasionally. I always caution people considering doing it when listening to "high" numbers that some report. You can obviously have great nights with surge pricing, but unless you intend on driving long hours, it's been my experience that it's not really that lucrative. That's subjective, I guess, based on what each individual is looking for from the job.

I've done it in the past and still do it occasionally. I always caution people considering doing it when listening to "high" numbers that some report. You can obviously have great nights with surge pricing, but unless you intend on driving long hours, it's been my experience that it's not really that lucrative. That's subjective, I guess, based on what each individual is looking for from the job.

Agree. They talk all the time about knowing when and where to drive. Evenings, finding nights with concerts, Reds, Bengals, holidays, that Santa event a few weeks ago, UC, OTR, downtown area, etc. I see two of these guys every week bowling and have seen their phones when they show me how the app works. They do it 15-25 hours per week.

Always been my belief that if you're in a line of work that is often tipped, you're better off not letting people know how well you may or may not do. Might give people the inclination to tip less or not at all because you must be doing well enough as is to pull $25 an hour on a side job.

People are either good tippers or bad tippers and I don't think anyone thinks that anyone working for tips is getting rich off of it.

Agree. They talk all the time about knowing when and where to drive. Evenings, finding nights with concerts, Reds, Bengals, holidays, that Santa event a few weeks ago, UC, OTR, downtown area, etc. I see two of these guys every week bowling and have seen their phones when they show me how the app works. They do it 15-25 hours per week.

It's decent "extra" money, but I've never understood why some try to make it out to more than it is, especially when only doing it part time.

It's decent "extra" money, but I've never understood why some try to make it out to more than it is, especially when only doing it part time.

It's a job. They do it for extra money but there are people who do it full time. They're just sharing their experience with me because I ask and I'm sharing that. Nothing more than it is, nothing less.

It's pretty obvious that if you know what you're doing, you can easily make $20/hr for sitting on your butt. If you don't mind driving, it's a good deal.

Been doing it since October and have 5 star rating I tell people what I make and they tip like crazy.